Jayson Shaw bridge hand.

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Length - very short.

Mostly - Open bridge hand.

So, I've noticed that this amazing player always have an open bridge hand, like 98% of the time, we can also see that he shoots with a very very short bridge length, like his arm is only few inches away from the cueball unlike other players where they got a very long bridge hand.

The answer is very simple, and I want to quickly say it before the posters here on AZB tell me "Oh because he's comfortable with it", well we know that he is comfortable, but the question is why is he comfortable with this setup as opposed to other players, e.g. long bridges + closed bridge hand.

In other words, are there advantages to this.

eastcoast_chris

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My only guess is he grew up playing snooker/black ball with a snooker cue. Open bridge just works better for that.

I grew up on snooker, but play mostly 8-9-10 these days. I shoot 99/100 open table shots with an open bridge. even though my cue has a pro taper.

Dave714

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Asians seem to have a long bridge. Meaning they are a long way from the cue ball.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It looks to me like Shaw's open bridge length -- from his V to the cue ball -- is between 10 and 15 inches. Is that short?

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It looks to me like Shaw's open bridge length -- from his V to the cue ball -- is between 10 and 15 inches. Is that short?

I was thinking that too. On video it
kind of looks short but if you watch
him in real life it is not.

The open bridge and camera angles give
an optical illusion.

JMS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I notice Shaw’s bridge hand is shorter when the cueball and object ball are close together. On long distance shots he has a longer bridge length.