MIKE HOWERTON - help with MIKE IVES

Jack Madden

John Madden Cues
Silver Member
Mike or anyone who may know,

Mike Howerton,
Since you publish and write about the pool scene in Arizona, I thought you might have run across some information on a writer out of Arizona. He loved pool, wrote about it in the 70s and 80s about tournaments and players, published in The Arizona Republic and in New Times (? - is it still in publication in Phoenix area?). He may have written for other publications. Stopped seeing any of his articles sometime in the 80's. Do you or any of the long time Arizona guys know where he is or what happened to him? (I heard rumors - but nothing real) The name he used for the articles was MIKE IVES. He also played in some of the tournaments around - local, vegas, ca etc. He interviewed Massey, Mosconi, etc. And MIKE IVES if you are a AZB member, pm me.Thanks for any information.:)

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jack...Mike lived in VA, not AZ. He lived in, and wrote out of, Roanoke for many years. My friend Willie Jopling was very good friends with him, and Mike wrote several articles about Jack White, back in the 70's & 80's too. I spoke with Willie about Mike while we were rooming at the DCC. He said that Mike had 'retired' and come into some money, and had quit playing pool completely.
I don't know if he is still living in VA or not.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Mike lives on his sailboat in Florida.

I like a story with a happy ending. I used to play Mike 25 a game One Pocket and he was tough action. This was during his Arizona days before he moved back east. Sometimes we would play Banks as well (he loved the game) and I probably got the best of him at that game. He was a tough competitor and a great story teller. We played hard for each other's money and laughed a lot at the same time. If you see him tell him hi for me. Thanks

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jack Madden started this thread 8 years ago and hasn't posted here in 4 years. I wonder if a phone call might be a better way to get him the information.

It is pretty cool 8 years later you can still get an answer on this website - and he lives on a sailboat.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The incredible Mike Ives was sought by this guy too. I think "Sailor Mike" in this article may be the same one that Jack was looking for --> Alter Egoed.

Snippet: My doppelganger and I talked for about half an hour. I learned that he’d been fired from the Roanoke Times in the late ’70s for, as he put it, “living with a woman who wasn’t my wife, et cetera.” Then he’d landed a job at the Arizona Republic and, later, another at the Phoenix New Times — a pioneer alt-weekly. Sometime in the ’80s, he quit journalism to travel the “lower 48” as, sure enough, a pool shark. Now he considered himself a retired “sailing derelict.”

Sailor Mike asserted that while he believed in fate, he didn’t necessarily see anything cosmic in our connection. “I think that probably happens,” he noted offhandedly. “I don’t know. You get a little more cynical and jaded as you get older. My name is a little more out there than other names . . . but who can say? You don’t know. I’m not gonna say it’s not fate.”

I didn’t know how to respond.

“You got any good pool rooms up there in Vermont?” he asked.

“I’m sure there must be one, Mike,” I offered, mesmerized. “Listen, have you come across any other Mike Iveses out there?”

Mike explained that he’d once met an image of himself in Phoenix. “We ate lunch and bullshitted for three hours and that was the end of it,” he recalled.

What was that guy’s shirt size? I wanted to ask. But instead I wondered if the journalist had any wisdom to relay.