Back hand english question

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I'm awesome at executing backhand english. Also, what is it?
It's leaving your bridge in place and moving your back (grip) hand sideways to apply side spin with the cue angled for squirt correction. That angle is only exact when your shaft's pivot point is right at your bridge and you shoot firmly with no follow or draw and a level-as-possible cue.

pj
chgo

EtDM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's always proper to maintain a certain level of decorum when in the billiards room... 1334074687868_4464598.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's leaving your bridge in place and moving your back (grip) hand sideways to apply side spin with the cue angled for squirt correction. That angle is only exact when your shaft's pivot point is right at your bridge and you shoot firmly with no follow or draw and a level-as-possible cue.

pj
chgo

When I first learned how to do this, I thought it was magic. I would play for hours and use it on every shot . Trying {and sometimes getting } shape, or breakouts on balls you just could not get to any other way I know of.
It can be amazing ,
I never played regularly enough to incorporate it into my long game , but anything from about a foot to 3 feet away, look out larry!

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
I'm awesome at executing backhand english. Also, what is it?

The only thing I'll say is after learning the perfect aim system, backhand english isn't as neat as it used to be. I was using it a lot on long shots with extremely mixed results. I still use it on some short shots or touchy stuff, but it doesn't belong on shots over about 3-4 feet. On shots over 3 feet, I feel it's just compensating for bad aim. It can work on longer shots, but it's results in pretty mixed results, at least for me.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Backhand english is great if you try use max sidespin with fast speed. I can shoot with it unreal spins with good accuracy. I seldom use it but it is good to be on reserve. :wink:

https://youtu.be/33FuQkqA5_0

Here is my winning 8-ball trick shot video and i use backhand english on shot around 3:05

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only thing I'll say is after learning the perfect aim system, backhand english isn't as neat as it used to be. I was using it a lot on long shots with extremely mixed results. I still use it on some short shots or touchy stuff, but it doesn't belong on shots over about 3-4 feet. On shots over 3 feet, I feel it's just compensating for bad aim. It can work on longer shots, but it's results in pretty mixed results, at least for me.

There are definitely zones to this phenomenon. I find that any pivot length will work IF you temper the degree of side. IOW, long bridge: closer to center. Ideal bridge: further out. To get full command of english, you need to use tricks like pointing the stick at specific spots on the object ball.

For instance:
inside english at spot shot angles - aim at the contact point.

Inside english with a harder stroke; like running the ball around the table after a rail shot - aim at the object ball as if you are applying english to IT.

All other variables still apply but tricks like these help anchor you judgement.