The Cue Ball, Not the Object Ball is the Primary Target

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
There are a few ways to "aim" or "create angles" in pool. The most common one is to aim a part of the cue ball at a part of the object ball and try to hit it. This is the most common and it can produce results, however, I believe there's a better way.

The TOI technique I use creates angles a different way. It uses where you cue the Cue Ball relative to a consistent target on the object ball (either the edge or the center).

This means I'm not aiming at a "contact point," instead I'm CREATING the angle by moving the tip to the same side (inside) as I'm cutting the ball. If I"m cutting the ball to the right, I move the cue slightly to the right of center, if I"m cutting the ball to the left I move the tip slightly to the LEFT of center.

If you want to experiment with what I"m saying try this "for the sake of science." Put the Cue Ball on the head spot and the Object Ball on the foot spot. If you hit "center to center," with a center ball hit you will drive the OB straight into the rail and it will come back and hit the cue ball again (if hit perfectly).

Now, go down and aim it center to center again, but this time move the cue slightly to the right (MAKE sure to move the whole cue, don't "pivot" or just turn your tip). Hit the ball like you did {as if} it was straight in and it will cut the ball slightly to the right. Do it again and move the cue further to the right, hit it and you will see that it cuts the Object Ball further to the right (creating more angle).

Now set up a shot that is a slight cut, get down like it was straight in and move the cue slightly in the same direction of the cut and hit it. If you undercut the shot move over more on the cue ball, if you overcut it move over less from center.

This is how you calibrate the TOI and tune it in to start creating angles. Let me know if you have any questions about TOI, I've developed some new drills to teach it in the last 30 days. 'The Game is the Teacher'

westlife

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are a few ways to "aim" or "create angles" in pool. The most common one is to aim a part of the cue ball at a part of the object ball and try to hit it. This is the most common and it can produce results, however, I believe there's a better way.

The TOI technique I use creates angles a different way. It uses where you cue the Cue Ball relative to a consistent target on the object ball (either the edge or the center).

This means I'm not aiming at a "contact point," instead I'm CREATING the angle by moving the tip to the same side (inside) as I'm cutting the ball. If I"m cutting the ball to the right, I move the cue slightly to the right of center, if I"m cutting the ball to the left I move the tip slightly to the LEFT of center.

If you want to experiment with what I"m saying try this "for the sake of science." Put the Cue Ball on the head spot and the Object Ball on the foot spot. If you hit "center to center," with a center ball hit you will drive the OB straight into the rail and it will come back and hit the cue ball again (if hit perfectly).

Now, go down and aim it center to center again, but this time move the cue slightly to the right (MAKE sure to move the whole cue, don't "pivot" or just turn your tip). Hit the ball like you did {as if} it was straight in and it will cut the ball slightly to the right. Do it again and move the cue further to the right, hit it and you will see that it cuts the Object Ball further to the right (creating more angle).

Now set up a shot that is a slight cut, get down like it was straight in and move the cue slightly in the same direction of the cut and hit it. If you undercut the shot move over more on the cue ball, if you overcut it move over less from center.

This is how you calibrate the TOI and tune it in to start creating angles. Let me know if you have any questions about TOI, I've developed some new drills to teach it in the last 30 days. 'The Game is the Teacher'
thanks master CJ Wiley i used your technique TOI in my game and the result is wow my game improve to the high level i start using TOI for almost 1 Month from nowand i see the result more consistent than my previous game style...easy and friendly system TOI

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Cue Ball, Not the Object Ball is the Primary Target

Not until I purchased CTE/Pro One DVD2 did I fully understand the above statement. I do now. :thumbup:

Thanks CJ.

John

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
maximum benefit from using TOI

thanks master CJ Wiley i used your technique TOI in my game and the result is wow my game improve to the high level i start using TOI for almost 1 Month from nowand i see the result more consistent than my previous game style...easy and friendly system TOI

You're welcome, it's nice to see you are getting the maximum benefit from using TOI.

Going through this type of training will help anyone that wants to increase their game's flexibility.Some players go though years of playing and never "real eyes" how powerful the inside of the cue ball is......and the new dimension of shots a player can immediately utilize.

DGilb147

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's creating an angle on the cue ball where none exists -- post impact masse on a straight shot. I'm surprised that it's called a "secret" on the video.

I think CJ is talking about something else.

Hi Bob

Its not a straight shot, so you are creating an angle of deflection opposite to its natural path and still potting the ball.

I think CJ is trying to create an angle with a straight shot and I felt that the video
showed a much more extreme example.

As the naked man said after he jumped onto a cactus plant " it seemed like a good idea at the time".

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
this is just a reference point, it's not the "target line" for the upcoming shot

Hi Bob

Its not a straight shot, so you are creating an angle of deflection opposite to its natural path and still potting the ball.

I think CJ is trying to create an angle with a straight shot and I felt that the video
showed a much more extreme example.

As the naked man said after he jumped onto a cactus plant " it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Aligning "Center to Center" is not suggesting the shot is straight. I align my body to the cue ball relative to Center or Edge of the object ball.....this is just a reference point, it's not the "target line" for the upcoming shot. Establishing a reference point for angles has always been something I consider essential for advanced shot-making....especially the longer, more difficult shots off the end rail.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The title of this thread really caught my eye. Thought I would bump in case anyone wants to discuss further.

NOTE: This thread is about six years old.

r/DCP

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The title of this thread really caught my eye. Thought I would bump in case anyone wants to discuss further.

NOTE: This thread is about six years old.

r/DCP

If you're going to put TOI to the test you're going to have to master the very first setup, which is not so simple.

" Put the Cue Ball on the head spot and the Object Ball on the foot spot. If you hit "center to center," with a center ball hit you will drive the OB straight into the rail and it will come back and hit the cue ball again (if hit perfectly)."

If you think you already have that drill mastered then require the CB to come back over the Head Spot after the 2nd collision with the OB. Then you'll have a decent starting point to analyze TOI with more certainty.