? For Cue Builders only!!

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Silver Member
What is more maddening:
Someone buying a cue you built and putting a off the shelf LD shaft on it.
Someone buying your cue only to put in storage

Last edited:

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is more maddening:
Someone buying a cue you built and putting a off the shelf LD shaft on it.
Someone buying your cue only to put in storage

You buy a cue from me, it's yours... as in yours to do with as you please.

Dale

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Silver Member
You buy a cue from me, it's yours... as in yours to do with as you please.

Dale

I understand your point, but seriously what is worse. Someone basically telling you don't know how to build a shaft or put it in th closet to profit on later.

HQueen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know someone who has many high dollar cues, including one of mine. He usually puts a lucasi LD shaft on most he plays with. I don't get it. Usually when you buy a cue from a well known maker you want to play with it because the maker has a good reputation. Why ruin it with a cheap LD shaft?

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Silver Member
My Hero

I know someone who has many high dollar cues, including one of mine. He usually puts a lucasi LD shaft on most he plays with. I don't get it. Usually when you buy a cue from a well known maker you want to play with it because the maker has a good reputation. Why ruin it with a cheap LD shaft?

Thank you, you are my new hero. I would kill myself before putting a LD shaft on my Runde.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I build cues for the player and collector. If they want to play with it or put another shaft on it that is fine. I am also okay with the collector who wants to keep his cue in mint condition and never hit a ball with it. About the only thing that bugs me is when I have discounted a cue to a very high caliper player because they keep telling me how much exposure I will get with them playing with my cue and then hear they sold it or gambled it away.
Seems like I just keep having to relearn that lesson every several years. :smile:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Who said LD shafts were "cheap?"

fish2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it has something to do with consistency.. putting an LD shaft on any cuemaker's butt :) makes the deflection similar. I would not want to adjust for deflection everytime I switch cues...

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
I tend to agree but since we're here, why would either scenario be considered 'maddening' ?

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Silver Member
Passion

Good question - so long as they were paid for their work why would (should?) they care?

Some cue builders build cues as art, that's cool. Don't expect them to be played. Most respected cue builders build pools cues because they are passionate about their craft and have worked years on playability. If all you care about is profit so be it, reputation and quality mean more to me.

63Kcode

AKA Larry Vigus
Silver Member
I don't build cues for profit and I don't care what buyers do with the cues they pay for. It's important to me they are happy with their purchase. Sold a cue once. Where the buyer walked over and put it in a Bon fire. We were both happy about the deal. Now if he had ask for a warranty repair or refund. I may have been upset!

Larry

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Silver Member
You would never guess who emailed me about this. Not gonna name him if he doesn't ok it, but not someone I thought watched this site. Apparently AZ has some under the radar viewers who you only dream about their cues.

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Silver Member
Well said.

I don't build cues for profit and I don't care what buyers do with the cues they pay for. It's important to me they are happy with their purchase. Sold a cue once. Where the buyer walked over and put it in a Bon fire. We were both happy about the deal. Now if he had ask for a warranty repair or refund. I may have been upset!

Larry

Larry, I respect your honesty and wholeheartedly agree. Your customers I'm sure are "happy with their purchase".

crobwin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some started playing pool with LD shafts of all brands and can't play with regular shafts.that these custom cues come with.

I understand your point, but seriously what is worse. Someone basically telling you don't know how to build a shaft or put it in th closet to profit on later.

bdcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some cue builders build cues as art, that's cool. Don't expect them to be played. Most respected cue builders build pools cues because they are passionate about their craft and have worked years on playability. If all you care about is profit so be it, reputation and quality mean more to me.

Not even going to respond to the first three sentences of your post but will the last one. Yes, a cue maker may well be passionate about their craft, they still have to eat unless they have some bottomless pit to draw funds from. Reputation and quality get you those funds. You would be hard pressed to make me believe that they would work so long and hard if there was not financial reward at the end. The three go hand in hand.

As to your OP, as stated before, why should it matter? Once the cue is sold it is they buyers property. What he does with it is his business. While ones ego may want to determine what the new owner does with it is irrelevant, do you think the car dealer cares what you do with your car after you buy it? Should the cuemaker be upset at a customer that buy 6 cues knowing that 5 of them will stay in the closet?
As a seller of aftermarket shafts.... Most cuemakers do not make LD shafts as commonplace. Since they have now been around for well over 20 years and there is a known market for them it seems somewhat silly to be surprised or upset if someone buys a cue from someone and then buys a certain shaft from someone else. I sell shafts as partials so the customer can order a cue and have the shaft they wish finished by the cuemaker they wish. If the cuemaker does not want to do so than so be it, why is it an issue either way?
A buyer is not bound to a cuemaker because he buys a cue from them any more than the buyer is bound to the shaftmaker because he buys a shaft from him. Believing otherwise is folly and you are letting your ego get in the way.