Matlock vs Keither

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Erman Bullard could gin it with the big rock.

Weldon Rodgers too

I remember meeting Bullard at Derby. I think this is the same guy. Keith was close with a lot of guys down South because he lived there for a while in various places. Like a rolling stone. Wherever he lay his cue was his home. :D

Attachments

• Keith and Irman at 2004 DCC.JPG
    Keith and Irman at 2004 DCC.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 522

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Keith hasn't hit a ball? What's he doing with all of his time, working a job or fishing?

Online poker, horses online with his friends who are at the horsetrack, all sports games, and believe it or not, Keith has become a landscape artist in his spare time. He turned my yard into a magical wonderland, getting rid of the weeds, trimming bushes and trees, mulching.

My next-door neighbor, who is in her 80s, likes my yard so much that she asked Keith to help her too. It's not a lot of money, but it puts a little chump change in Keith's pockets and keeps him busy. He actually enjoys it. Plus, it's great exercise. I get out there and help sometimes too.

We have several elderly and senior citizens on my street. Once a week, Keith carries their trash cans to the curb for the garbage truck that comes once a week, and that evening, he brings their cans back up to their homes. He does not expect compensation for this, but at Christmas time, they give him a little jelly roll. :grin-square:

Keith is still every heavily in touch with the action players around the country, speaks to several of them daily.

I asked him yesterday about this so-called Matlock versus McCready match, and he paused before replying. Looks like it's in the works. Keith did not share this with me until I asked. I know why, but that's a story for another thread.

Oh, and to the Matlock cheerleaders, Keith said with a big cueball, he has no fear against Gonzilla or Matlock. Bring it on, says Keith. :shocked2::shocked2::shocked2:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There would be some serious seats sold, PT. I'd pay to see it.

If it happens, I hope it will be live-streamed. Matlock is a very determined player, and Keith, though determined, will be a chatterbox while he's at the table.

Efren v. Bustie on TV table had to stop because Keith v. Alex game had the whole audience at attention, even Efren and Bustie. Listen to the chatter in the background and then watch and hear the audience roar. Check it out, one of my faves: https://youtu.be/lpoCzvT3dhM?t=4521

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Keith getting backed by Buddy Hall, who is also commentating along with Kim Davenport. Hill-hill match against Paez.

Keith is a mess, but straight as an arrow, probably feeling a little pain. Buddy wouldn't let Keith drink any beer while Buddy was backing him. In fact, they both roomed together so Buddy could keep an eye on him. :grin-square:

https://youtu.be/dXECHvT86jw

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Online poker, horses online with his friends who are at the horsetrack, all sports games, and believe it or not, Keith has become a landscape artist in his spare time. He turned my yard into a magical wonderland, getting rid of the weeds, trimming bushes and trees, mulching.

My next-door neighbor, who is in her 80s, likes my yard so much that she asked Keith to help her too. It's not a lot of money, but it puts a little chump change in Keith's pockets and keeps him busy. He actually enjoys it. Plus, it's great exercise. I get out there and help sometimes too.

We have several elderly and senior citizens on my street. Once a week, Keith carries their trash cans to the curb for the garbage truck that comes once a week, and that evening, he brings their cans back up to their homes. He does not expect compensation for this, but at Christmas time, they give him a little jelly roll. :grin-square:

Keith is still every heavily in touch with the action players around the country, speaks to several of them daily.

I asked him yesterday about this so-called Matlock versus McCready match, and he paused before replying. Looks like it's in the works. Keith did not share this with me until I asked. I know why, but that's a story for another thread.

Oh, and to the Matlock cheerleaders, Keith said with a big cueball, he has no fear against Gonzilla or Matlock. Bring it on, says Keith. :shocked2::shocked2::shocked2:
Thanks JAM, glad to hear this!

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
If it happens, I hope it will be live-streamed. Matlock is a very determined player, and Keith, though determined, will be a chatterbox while he's at the table.

Efren v. Bustie on TV table had to stop because Keith v. Alex game had the whole audience at attention, even Efren and Bustie. Listen to the chatter in the background and then watch and hear the audience roar. Check it out, one of my faves: https://youtu.be/lpoCzvT3dhM?t=4521

If this happens, I'd like to place a bet.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Keither with the either and Gunslinger

All you have to say is it will be streamed and I will pay in advance.

I have been wanting to see this match for about 30 years.

JAM may be playing the old hustlers line, "I haven't hit a ball in months", but the last time I saw Keith at DCC (about a year or two ago, he was hitting em pretty damn good....:rolleyes:)

Dont under estimate EITHER of these guys.

I was interviewing Kim Davenport for a book or magazine article years ago, and he said his greatest attribute was the ability to get back in stroke quickly after taking a break. IMO, Keith and Dave, wouldn't need much time to get back in stroke. Not 100% but pretty damn strong.

Make it happen, you know everyone wants to see it.

Ken

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All you have to say is it will be streamed and I will pay in advance.

I have been wanting to see this match for about 30 years.

JAM may be playing the old hustlers line, "I haven't hit a ball in months", but the last time I saw Keith at DCC (about a year or two ago, he was hitting em pretty damn good....:rolleyes:)

Dont under estimate EITHER of these guys.

I was interviewing Kim Davenport for a book or magazine article years ago, and he said his greatest attribute was the ability to get back in stroke quickly after taking a break. IMO, Keith and Dave, wouldn't need much time to get back in stroke. Not 100% but pretty damn strong.

Make it happen, you know everyone wants to see it.

Ken

I think it is a bit "easier" to get in stroke for a bar table match than a big table match.

Neither of them are going to be able to "do" what they did 30 years ago, but they both are equalized by the same amount of time.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
about the same I believe

I think it is a bit "easier" to get in stroke for a bar table match than a big table match.

Neither of them are going to be able to "do" what they did 30 years ago, but they both are equalized by the same amount of time.

I think getting in stroke will take about as long. One thing, breaking out the mud ball means the game will be based on follow, not draw. Patterns will be a lot different. Pocketing balls is probably the easiest part of the game. Breaking out clusters and playing lockup safeties will be important too.

The match could be over in a hurry if either one flashes back to the eighties. I think Matlock's high run on a bar table is twenty-six games or so. Never heard what Keith's is. I think it is more likely that we won't see more than a six pack but running off six games at a time could make things very interesting.

An ahead set could go several long sessions, could be over in well under two hours. I kind of wish the format would be different. Then again, if it is over too fast they may flip it and go again. Neither one has a reputation for being bashful gambling.

Hu

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
Daydream material mostly

What are the odds of this going off?

JAM seems to think it is all wishful thinking.

It is daydream material mostly but if Jennie is looking for Buddy to be Keith's second in his corner and maybe his backer for part of the action then the odds may be better than the maybe one in twenty I give it now. Just a wild guess on my part.

I don't know if Shooters or anyone else has promised a table if needed. A lot of logistics to be considered. If Dave is able to tune up on the table they are going to play on in the room they will play in I have to say that would be a huge edge, enough to tip the balance probably unless someone also sets up a table for Keith.

There is huge interest in this match but there has been huge interest in getting Keith back in the spotlight for years. If Keith comes out in public and says he is serious about making this happen a lot of things could fall in place in a hurry. Other than that, probably just a pipe dream but more entertaining to think about than most stuff on AZB these days.

Hu

OldOrvis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
better be at shooters so I can drive 30mins to watch....Dave sits and watches me hit balls all the time and it makes me nervous lol I could play with 100 people watching and be fine...but i know Dave is thinking in his head " what is this clown doing hitting the ball like that" lol

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
the scoop!

better be at shooters so I can drive 30mins to watch....Dave sits and watches me hit balls all the time and it makes me nervous lol I could play with 100 people watching and be fine...but i know Dave is thinking in his head " what is this clown doing hitting the ball like that" lol

Who, what, when, where, how, and sometimes y.

Ain't sure about that y but I was on a roll. Howsa bout a scouting report? How much is Dave playing? With who? What's the usual game? The usual bet range? What table is he playing on? Been shooting tournaments? What results?

Answers to those questions should be a good start! :D

Hu