Where is the 626?

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The following exists as an attachment somewhere on AZB but I couldn't track it down, so here is a copy. I don't have a date on the publication in NBN. I don't know who provided the spelling correction for Rood's name. Also, it was exactly 37 signatures on the affidavit.

From an article in National Billiard News

by Dick Hatfield

Willie Mosconi, in Springfield, Ohio, March 1954, ran 526 balls in a row for a world record that still stands today. His challenger was Earl "Jake" Bruney, an accomplished hometown pool shark.

The site of the action was East High Billiards, 111 ½ East High in the heart of downtown Springfield, on the second floor above Reco Sporting Goods. "East High" was a first class pool hall run by a first class gentleman named Bob Haas. The only criticizable thing Bob ever did was allow underage guys like me into his establishment. I was 16 - you were supposed to be 18 or older.

The first time I saw Mosconi, I thought he looked like a movie star: impeccably dressed in a tailor-made suit, blue cashmere topcoat, black fedora, and polished black shoes. He was a big hit with everybody, very personable, made small talk with the regulars, and occasionally fed a handful of nickels in the pinball machines. He was a regular guy.

Bruney safe-broke the balls at 8:00pm that March 18th, Mosconi shot second. They safe-shot back and forth a few times, and then Jake found his way clear to pocket the only three balls he'd make that night. After that, Willie took command of that 4X8 Brunswick for the next four and a half hours. At 12:50am, he missed the 527th shot - a six-ball in the corner. It tottered at the pocket, but wouldn't fall.

A number of Springfielders witnessed this record-breaking performance, including A.Y. "Lefty" Thomas, who made a sketch of the missed shot. Lefty will also authenticate this narrative. About fifty of the witnesses signed an affidavit verifying the high run.
Although at least three claim to have bought the legendary table that Willie and Jake shot on that night, it's actually owned by George Rude? (Rood), who subsequently part-owned the East High. Later in the 1950s, George played Willie several times in exhibition matches at East High. On a couple of those occasions I took tickets and sold Mosconi's books.

Hmmm. Willie's autobiography says the run took about 2 hours and 10 minutes, which is 4.0 balls per minute. The above article would have it at 4 hours and 50 minutes, or 1.8 balls per minute. Anyone ever see Willie shoot that slowly on a good run?

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hmmm. Willie's autobiography says the run took about 2 hours and 10 minutes, which is 4.0 balls per minute. The above article would have it at 4 hours and 50 minutes, or 1.8 balls per minute. Anyone ever see Willie shoot that slowly on a good run?

1.8 balls per minute is slow for anyone thats at least decent at 14.1 and as you put it, on a good run.

The 4 balls per minute sounds a lot closer to what I would expect from a player of his caliber.

The only time I would expect slower play is when the layout was more difficult than usual.

4pointer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the 626 is gone ,

because pool and especially straight pool is dead .
in my opinion its the wrong decision to wait with a dvd .
marketing strategy ?
i hope they can sell some hundred copys , if they bring it out someday .
keep in stroke everybody

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Times I saw him he'd almost be running around the table, sometimes walking backwards to get to the next shot faster.

It took him no time at all to shoot, even the tough ones while on a 100 ball run.

Lou Figueroa

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
seems to me that if someone went to the trouble of buying it and we know the name of
the guy... how did the table not end up in a museum or at least some known location
as being the famous record table? Could it be sitting in storage (or in use!)
somewhere today?

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
seems to me that if someone went to the trouble of buying it and we know the name of
the guy... how did the table not end up in a museum or at least some known location
as being the famous record table? Could it be sitting in storage (or in use!)
somewhere today?

That table didn’t seem to be that big of a deal years ago....only in retrospect from our
modern age does it seem valuable.
Kinda like the old cars in my home town...they’d be worth a fortune now.

I played a little on Willie’s table at the urging of Russ Maddox, who was part owner of
the room with George Rood....but I was a kid then...my sense of history was a far second
to my thirst for action.....and it was not a top of the line Brunswick.

jeffj2h

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John's status report

On July 6th John Schmidt and his wife Felicity posted several comments on Facebook about the status of the 626 video.

Attachments

• Schmidt1.jpg
    Schmidt1.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 334
  • Schmidt2.jpg
    Schmidt2.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 344
  • Schmidt3.jpg
    Schmidt3.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 340

jeffj2h

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John also commented some time last week on Facebook that he was considering traveling around to poolhalls, playing the video on the big screen TV's, and charging a cover charge.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That table didn’t seem to be that big of a deal years ago....only in retrospect from our

I played a little on Willie’s table at the urging of Russ Maddox, who was part owner of
the room with George Rood....but I was a kid then...my sense of history was a far second
to my thirst for action.....and it was not a top of the line Brunswick.[/QUOTE

Russ spent quite a bit of time in the room here in Clearwater where I grew up playing. He was a pretty good straight pool player too, especially for his age. And he rarely waited for the balls to stop rolling before he took his next shot.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

to my thirst for action.....and it was not a top of the line Brunswick.[/QUOTE

Russ spent quite a bit of time in the room here in Clearwater where I grew up playing. He was a pretty good straight pool player too, especially for his age. And he rarely waited for the balls to stop rolling before he took his next shot.

I used to go to Russ’ room in Dayton....the Pickwick...which became Airway eventually.
...we used to gamble...but he also liked me and gave me valuable advice which I still use.

His manager, Everett, was a good 3-cushion player.
One day they were getting the 3-cushion table recovered...guy took the rails off...
...then had to go home...forgot the cloth.
Some guys walked in, saw the rails lying on the floor...asked..”What the hell happened?”
Everett said “I don't know who he was...but he had the most powerful stroke I ever seen.”
:)

1pocket

Steve Booth
Gold Member
Silver Member
The following exists as an attachment somewhere on AZB but I couldn't track it down, so here is a copy. I don't have a date on the publication in NBN. I don't know who provided the spelling correction for Rood's name. Also, it was exactly 37 signatures on the affidavit.

From an article in National Billiard News

by Dick Hatfield

Willie Mosconi, in Springfield, Ohio, March 1954, ran 526 balls in a row for a world record that still stands today. His challenger was Earl "Jake" Bruney, an accomplished hometown pool shark.

The site of the action was East High Billiards, 111 ½ East High in the heart of downtown Springfield, on the second floor above Reco Sporting Goods. "East High" was a first class pool hall run by a first class gentleman named Bob Haas. The only criticizable thing Bob ever did was allow underage guys like me into his establishment. I was 16 - you were supposed to be 18 or older.

The first time I saw Mosconi, I thought he looked like a movie star: impeccably dressed in a tailor-made suit, blue cashmere topcoat, black fedora, and polished black shoes. He was a big hit with everybody, very personable, made small talk with the regulars, and occasionally fed a handful of nickels in the pinball machines. He was a regular guy.

Bruney safe-broke the balls at 8:00pm that March 18th, Mosconi shot second. They safe-shot back and forth a few times, and then Jake found his way clear to pocket the only three balls he'd make that night. After that, Willie took command of that 4X8 Brunswick for the next four and a half hours. At 12:50am, he missed the 527th shot - a six-ball in the corner. It tottered at the pocket, but wouldn't fall.

A number of Springfielders witnessed this record-breaking performance, including A.Y. "Lefty" Thomas, who made a sketch of the missed shot. Lefty will also authenticate this narrative. About fifty of the witnesses signed an affidavit verifying the high run.
Although at least three claim to have bought the legendary table that Willie and Jake shot on that night, it's actually owned by George Rude? (Rood), who subsequently part-owned the East High. Later in the 1950s, George played Willie several times in exhibition matches at East High. On a couple of those occasions I took tickets and sold Mosconi's books.

This is the same guy that has a video on youtube, relating this same story. In the video he goes on to say, when the 6-ball didn't fall, a couple of big guys went over to that corner and tried to wiggle the floor to induce the ball to fall, but it would not. LOL, what did they think, the run would legitimately continue if they managed to wiggle it into the pocket a couple of minutes later?? Who knows but sure makes you wonder about what else was let pass along the way to 526. The thing is, nobody really knows... at least with John Schmidt's run, it was caught on video. :D:D

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is the same guy that has a video on youtube, relating this same story. In the video he goes on to say, when the 6-ball didn't fall, a couple of big guys went over to that corner and tried to wiggle the floor to induce the ball to fall, but it would not. LOL, what did they think, the run would legitimately continue if they managed to wiggle it into the pocket a couple of minutes later?? Who knows but sure makes you wonder about what else was let pass along the way to 526. The thing is, nobody really knows... at least with John Schmidt's run, it was caught on video. :D:D

You have to keep in mind that no matter what, some are not gonna give John his due. Sad but, its just the way people are these days.

<<<<<<<< shakes head while walking away, thinking "what the hell".

Im not jealous of John. Im not pissed at John. I'm "proud" of John S.

Again, "what the hell?".

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You can watch that video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVK3iFMSrHI&list=PLh13gAfUeboihuWDKUdNcJ3CsRxBX3L0k&index=12&t=0s

So, three things. First off, when he speaks of the six ball hanging and guys coming over he says it with a smile and a little laugh. It was a funny moment, obviously after the run because several guys are out of the stands/seats and walking around.

Second: He says Mosconi didn't bank a ball during the run. If he's providing that level of detail it is likely he would have mentioned any other peculiarities about the run. He doesn't.

Lastly, yes, JS run was caught on video. Have you seen it? Has anyone?

Lou Figueroa
Buehler... Buehler...

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What I find most unfortunate is that John having his sponsors and all rights, doesn’t have the support from them to make sure this video would be marketed efficiently and with the best of what’s avail today. Legal or otherwise. Come on Predator. Step in and step up.

~ K.

4pointer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
good point ,
thought that predator have a massive inerest to promote the record .
but nothing surprise me anymore .

buckets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jeff, like Lou I was there during Mosconi's era of exhibitions (even played him one). He was a living icon in sports, his name well known to the masses (not just pool fans!) and people would come to see him play because of that fame. Typically there was no charge to watch one of his exhibitions, but it was still a good promotion for any poolroom in which he made an appearance. They would sell drinks and food and perhaps gain some new clientele. Willie would pack the place wherever he appeared, plain and simple. People would come to see HIM, not just to see someone run 100 balls.

I hope this helps set the record straight. Thanks

yeah he was a celebrity

I don't like basketball all that much, but if Shaq and MJ were playing 21 for charity at the Garden, hell yeah I'd go see that.

Last edited:

buckets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Really?

Mosconi didn’t set up camp to attempt a high run — it just happened.

JS set up camp for a months long attempt to break a decades old record.

Lou Figueroa
duh

do people actually think this makes a difference?

willie set the record in 1954 after playing straight pool just about every single day since the great war ended

if we follow that logic, then we must conclude that john schmidt's run is even MORE impressive because he had at least ten fewer years to practice