2010 Canadian Championships Qualifier

jaycast16

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anybody knows of there is any schedule of qualifier for the upcoming Canadians?It is only 2 months away from now and yet i haven't heard any qualifiers.I want to ask Steve C. but im not sure if he log in here that often.

Last edited:

Jason Robichaud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think Steve Cooper is responsible for holding qualifiers for each prov. You should be asking who ever looks after events in Ontario. Here in NB we know our qualifiers in Sept for the entire year. NS is the same, not sure why other provinces don't do the same.

I think the CBSA looks after allocating spots to provinces, running the Canadians and sending people to worlds. They don't do local events. Its like the WPA and worlds, they don't come to Canada and hold qualifiers, that is the roll of the CBSA.

That said, pool in Canada sucks. It is too big and not enough organization. Maybe the CBSA should take a stronger roll, only problem is, how would they get paid for their time? I don't think Cooper could fly to ON, PQ, BC, AB etc to run monthly qualifiers and it is hard finding local people to work for free.

The CBSA has a link available to each province (a flag). This is where information should be available! How many provinces actually use it?

D_Lewis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the qualifiers are being run like they were last year, I am not surprised that you havent heard anything.

Odie Willet has to be the worst person in the world for trying to keep people happy and wanting to continue to support pool. Acted like a complete child during one of the qualifiers because people asked a few questions. With all of the other problems Ive heard, it seems like its time for other people to be running everything rather then the current board.

Philthepockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here we go again eh :rolleyes: I made my thoughts clear last year on the situation in Canada on how the organizations are run so I will not go off on another rant. However In my mind the CBSA should provide a budget to the Provincial associations and compel them to run qualifiers, qualifiers that make it worthwhile showing up otherwise we will just have another "Ontario Open".

samurai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the qualifiers are being run like they were last year, I am not surprised that you havent heard anything.

Odie Willet has to be the worst person in the world for trying to keep people happy and wanting to continue to support pool. Acted like a complete child during one of the qualifiers because people asked a few questions. With all of the other problems Ive heard, it seems like its time for other people to be running everything rather then the current board.

After a lot of soul searching, I had decided to run for the board last year for the position that was "VIRTUALLY" given to Odie on a silver platter(old boys club, not Cooper's fault). He convinced people that he was a better choice and my nomination didn't even get mentioned from what I understand, if I am wrong then I stand corrected.

In Cooper's defence (and the rest of the board minus one)they are doing a thankless job for FREE! If anyone has any CONSTRUCTIVE criticism then step up to the plate and be part of the solution rather than supporting the ongoing CBSA bashing!

I know of several people who have tried to organise a series of qualifiers in Ontario in past years, and the most that have ever shown up to participate is too embarrassing to mention. Which is why those who can, have given up on wasting their time and energy! It is the responsibility of all of us who play, to assist by just simply SHOWING UP!

Grace Nakamura

Last edited:

Philthepockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know about round your way but here in BC I showed up and so did 17 other die hards, in spite of playing for "nothing"

If you accept a position on a board of an organization you accept the thankless responsibility of promoting and moving a sport forward, blaming the peasants for the kings failures is not how it goes. Build it and they will come $$$$$ otherwise...........

samurai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know about round your way but here in BC I showed up and so did 17 other die hards, in spite of playing for "nothing"

If you accept a position on a board of an organization you accept the thankless responsibility of promoting and moving a sport forward, blaming the peasants for the kings failures is not how it goes. Build it and they will come $$$$$ otherwise...........

In this case you are wrong several have tried to build qualifiers, but to no avail, so those with any motivation to put forth an effort to do so, have given up. You can lead a horse to water.........

In this case the peasants (as you put it) are a huge part of the problem. Without our help and involvement, CBSA can only do so much.

Philthepockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok, if the qualifiers paid an all inclusive trip, entry fees and $2000 and the Canadian Snooker Championship had a prize fund of $100,000 you tell me honestly that players won't show up ? :thumbup:

scsuxci

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Money Money!

Anyone who believes no one got a dime on that board is in lala land.There's always a way of screwing the system and when it comes to most of those members on the board the toolbox is full with some of the biggest tools of all.And for choosing Odie over Grace is point proven ,that their's a lack of brain power. And putting in somebody that might clean it up would go against their better laid plans for the future.Is it promoting pool or promoting why pool in Canada is where it is?:boring2:

jaycast16

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Grace,what should it take to get Odie's a$$ out of his position so you can replace him to better our favorite sport?If there is no qualifier means players have to pay their entry in full.If this happens i won't be surprise if nobody or not too many players will show up.This is really sad that a lot of us want to improve pool in this country but those people whose in the position to make this happen just failed us!

samurai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Grace,what should it take to get Odie's a$$ out of his position so you can replace him to better our favorite sport?If there is no qualifier means players have to pay their entry in full.If this happens i won't be surprise if nobody or not too many players will show up.This is really sad that a lot of us want to improve pool in this country but those people whose in the position to make this happen just failed us!

Hi Jay,

Thanks for your support. Last year I approached OBSA(Odie) with an offer to run a series of qualifiers with ADDED money already confirmed, and I was met with nothing but disdain and negativity because I told them that I wouldn't do it for free. For our time and efforts, we would take a percentage of the added money to pay myself and Don Broos. They gave me nothing but grief and had the audacity to ask, "Are you sure you can do this?". As stated, over half of the added money (most from US companies wanting to get their product in Canada) was already confirmed at the time!

At that point I looked at Don and then turned to Odie and told him he was on his own, and that I wasn't going to waste my time with them. The result, only a handful of qualifiers last year at the last minute.

I will always support the efforts of people like Coop, and the true lovers of our sport, but we need to weed out the dead weight!

samurai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I honestly don't know what it would take, because it is such a tight knit old boys club. I would have to have someone nominate me, and another to second it. I had spoken to a guy from out west who told me to my face that he would definitly submit my nomination, and I had someone to second it. Odie then went and spoke to the same guy and turned him around, so my nomination didn't even make it to the floor!

Jason Robichaud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
run qualifiers to make money? why not run qualifiers to qualify people. I think that is why not much gets done in Ontario. People are sitting back figuring ways to make money running something rather than holding qualifiers (only guessing).

The people that can make money here are, halls. Select 3 or 4 halls, get them to pay a membership to hold 16 qualifiers and have no buy-ins to the Canadians. Pay $30 for a computer program to run the draw and brackets(don't have to worry about a TD taking 20%), $50 entry for open players and $30 for others. Say 4 halls - 16 events would be 4 events each. have them pay $500 to hold events (covers all 4 events). Entry breakdown, $10 to fund (Canadian spots) $5 to hall, rest in prize money.

At the end of the year you would have $2000 from the halls.
40 players at $10 each is $400 per event - 16 events $6400
total would be $8400 to pay for spots.
Hold a provincial championship with spots
404 finals get spots etc.

Coop does a lot for pool here in NB and doesn't get money for doing it. He travels 4 hours or more puts in 12+ hours running the event etc. He gets nothing and we get canadian spots and a provincial tour to play every two weeks.

The biggest problem you guys have isn't Coop, it's that you don't have Coop in your province.

Danktrees

RIP RS
Silver Member
i dont see what the problem is if shes only taking the added money. even then its only half of it. if she went thru the trouble of organizing it and managing to find u.s. sponsors then she deserves something. i dont see anyone else bringing in sponsors right now.

Jason Robichaud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i dont see what the problem is if shes only taking the added money. even then its only half of it. if she went thru the trouble of organizing it and managing to find u.s. sponsors then she deserves something. i dont see anyone else bringing in sponsors right now.

Don't see problem, did she get voted in? If someone is there making money, they are not going to step aside and let someone else get it.

Danktrees

RIP RS
Silver Member
Don't see problem, did she get voted in? If someone is there making money, they are not going to step aside and let someone else get it.

well i was really only responding to ur post right above mine where it seems like u were voicing ur disapproval of her taking some of the added money from the sponsors. im just saying that if thats the case then to me at least, it's not a big deal since she's the one bringing the sponsors in. she's the one that will have to deal with them and be responsible to them if something goes wrong. so i dont see why she wouldnt get some of the sponsor money.

but as for what u just said, i do agree that if someone is already making money then they wouldnt be willing to step aside. but then again that's part of the problem.

samurai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
run qualifiers to make money? why not run qualifiers to qualify people. I think that is why not much gets done in Ontario. People are sitting back figuring ways to make money running something rather than holding qualifiers (only guessing).

The people that can make money here are, halls. Select 3 or 4 halls, get them to pay a membership to hold 16 qualifiers and have no buy-ins to the Canadians. Pay $30 for a computer program to run the draw and brackets(don't have to worry about a TD taking 20%), $50 entry for open players and $30 for others. Say 4 halls - 16 events would be 4 events each. have them pay $500 to hold events (covers all 4 events). Entry breakdown, $10 to fund (Canadian spots) $5 to hall, rest in prize money.

At the end of the year you would have $2000 from the halls.
40 players at $10 each is $400 per event - 16 events $6400
total would be $8400 to pay for spots.
Hold a provincial championship with spots
404 finals get spots etc.

Coop does a lot for pool here in NB and doesn't get money for doing it. He travels 4 hours or more puts in 12+ hours running the event etc. He gets nothing and we get canadian spots and a provincial tour to play every two weeks.

The biggest problem you guys have isn't Coop, it's that you don't have Coop in your province.

Hi Jay,
I agree with most of what you are saying, I wish we had Coop here too! However I don't agree with you saying that people should put forth efforts for others with no return. I did not intend to get rich running qualifiers but I do expect to be paid for my time. No one should be EXPECTED to work for free! Organising a successful tour takes a lot time and money.

When I run an event I try to make arrangements so that refs and others do not have to VOLUNTEER their time. In the case of last year I had plenty of added money for the tour which would have allowed me to concentrate on building a tour that would offer expense money for the winners to travel to the Canadians, entry frees to the Canadians, as well as payment for a proper staff to run a series of qualifiers at $25.00 entry fee to the players.

Odie and Terry felt that I wouldn't be able to pull it off, and that they could do a better job so I stepped aside and let them.

I know that Coop doesn't get anything, but he should. He is very fortunate that he has the loyalty of the player base out east. In Ontario, it seems to be $$$$ related as to whether or not players will show.

Last edited:

samurai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You hit the nail on the head Jay! That is why we are going to have to suffer again this year and play on that Milliken cloth (not sure of the spelling, don't like the cloth). Odie is in business with them from what I understand and sells their cloth.

In the past I have been able to get Simonis for any event I organise, with no questions asked and have been nurturing an on going relationship with them for the last 10 years. The president (Ivan Lee)always takes my calls and just simply asks me, "what do you need?" 2 years ago when we had to use that cloth, Simonis was not even contacted to place a bid for the event after years of support, Odie just took it upon himself to go with Milliken.

I actually called Iven Lee personally to apologise for the OVERSIGHT, which is why he gave us Simonis last year. Unfortunatley we are stuck with Milliken again, and again I will have to apologise for Odies's lack of professionalism and common sense.

jaycast16

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You hit the nail on the head Jay! That is why we are going to have to suffer again this year and play on that Milliken cloth (not sure of the spelling, don't like the cloth). Odie is in business with them from what I understand and sells their cloth.

In the past I have been able to get Simonis for any event I organise, with no questions asked and have been nurturing an on going relationship with them for the last 10 years. The president (Ivan Lee)always takes my calls and just simply asks me, "what do you need?" 2 years ago when we had to use that cloth, Simonis was not even contacted to place a bid for the event after years of support, Odie just took it upon himself to go with Milliken.

I actually called Iven Lee personally to apologise for the OVERSIGHT, which is why he gave us Simonis last year. Unfortunatley we are stuck with Milliken again, and again I will have to apologisea for Odies's lack of professionalism and common sense.

That sucks if we have to play on the MILIKEN cloth again.I always love SIMONIS.i guess it is the best cloth i played on.

jaycast16

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
well i was really only responding to ur post right above mine where it seems like u were voicing ur disapproval of her taking some of the added money from the sponsors. im just saying that if thats the case then to me at least, it's not a big deal since she's the one bringing the sponsors in. she's the one that will have to deal with them and be responsible to them if something goes wrong. so i dont see why she wouldnt get some of the sponsor money.

but as for what u just said, i do agree that if someone is already making money then they wouldnt be willing to step aside. but then again that's part of the problem.

I agree with Cedric here.I think it is hard to find a guy like Cooper who volunteer his time for the qualifier/event.There is nothing wrong if they take some money from the sponsors.They worked had for it so they should get something.As long as they are not taking all of the money and someone is getting spot,i have no problem with that.Well that is my opinion.

Last edited: