good pool halls in vancouver, BC?

Philthepockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sorry to say they re all crap in Vancouver. I don't know why some of these people think they should be running a pool room??

The two in Richmond are mainly Snooker rooms, the 147 on 3 road the tables are okay if you don't mind the "warehouse" atmosphere can be noisy and echoey, no food, no snacks, very limited cans of pop and 1 tetra pak of green tea with soy milk. oh and 15 bucks an hour.

High Break at Garden city & Alderbridge the tables are again okay, the snooker tables are nice though. No food, limited snacks and pop. The room is a little more quaint but some patrons like to scream at each other, hopefully not just as you are shooting game ball.

hope this helps, have fun.

PS when I win the lottery I will open a pool room that will put all the rest out of business, just for the sake of it!

cueboy007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I heard that in BC it's next to impossible to get a liquor license, otherwise, they would have served alcohol.

I've never been to BC, but my best friend owns 147, that's why I only know this place. They've bought new pool tables last year.

The problem with running a pool hall is the lease is so expensive, warehouses are cheap, but you need extra sound insulation.

I'm planning a trip to BC this year, and I'll see how pool halls there compare to these in Toronto.

Philthepockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bankshots in Surrey has a full liquor license, but they tables are atrocious, the place is dirty and the Mgmt & staff are well.......

People running pool halls should know something about the game and be able to understand the need for keeping the equipment playable and provide an environment in which people like to play, they don't need to be serious players in fact there in lies some of the problems.

They should also have some background in the service industry like hotel or restaurant, this would help them to know how to serve people and not treat them like aliens when they grace their doorways. Oh and they should also know how to hire cleaners to clean the can and get the smell of piss out so I don't almost puke when I walk in there.

All they do is sit back and ***** that they can't make any money and the players don't spend and blah blah blah, well I wonder why :rolleyes:

seether

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well I

Well i wont be goin to there poolrooms if they are dirty not kept clean.I rather be openning up my own pool hall there and better yet,hire a janitor and a maintenence worker fore it and yes i will get a liquor licence.but first of all i better hope to win the lottery first to do these things.

theyonger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oscars Billiards in Richmond!
Best action in town. The owner of the pool hall is a pro and gives free lessons as long as you pay for table time. You can go in alone and get action everyday around 8+ pm! They have tournaments, leagues, free hot towel service!
Check it out!
/http://oscarsbilliards.ca/

PM me if you wanna have a game or something ill give you my number.

paint~baller

Registered
Oscars Billiards in Richmond!
Best action in town. The owner of the pool hall is a pro and gives free lessons as long as you pay for table time. You can go in alone and get action everyday around 8+ pm! They have tournaments, leagues, free hot towel service!
Check it out!
/http://oscarsbilliards.ca/

PM me if you wanna have a game or something ill give you my number.

very nice! i will have to check this place out.

another good pool hall is the ballroom in langley right on the bypass. its right beside the supersave gas by all the car dealerships.

paint~baller

Registered
Are you a pool player or a paintball player?

hmmm well smart one..... my user name is paint~baller but i have no intrest in paintball whatsoever.... and i'm in a billiards forum just to waste my time, i have no intrest in pool at all......

use your head:banghead:

terminal_288

@terminal_288
Silver Member
back in 2004/2005 while i was doing katimavik in vancouver i found a pool hall close to the katima house (i could explain the whole katima but thats a realllllllllllllyyyyy long story so google it if your interested) from what i can remember it wasn't great but it also wasn't a sh!t hole. It was calle d the hippo i think best way i can expain on how to get to it is if you go all the way down main st and get to the Super store turn left on i think its marina drive and you will see a hotel on the left a bout 4 blocks down from the mentioned superstore an its there. bear in mind this info is about 5 years old and i live in winnipeg now but some one in van city might be able to peice my rambling together.

PS i remember some one (after i got home) saying that near to this place there was a sketchy pool hall / asian gambling place (his words not mine) near by thinking back i seem to remember seeing this place but never having the balls to go in if anyone could confirm or deny its existance i would be much obliged

peace vince "1 to many drinks" gonzo

kayleym

like the title says. if anyone on here is from van where is a good place to play?

Best pool hall by far is Bankshots Pub at 160th and Fraser hwy, in Surrey. The only one you can drink at the tables cause it's a bar, and she has 21 tables to choose from. New ownership came in and reworked the entire place. The old (garden gnome we all called him) is gone and so are his kids who all worked there. Every table looks just clothed, she took down all the walls and made it a really open happening atmosphere. It used to smell of frying oil, but along with bad service, that seems to have left with the garden gnome too. I take my boyfriend every Friday and sometimes we have to wait for a table and she only charges $7./hr. I think beers are like $4.50 The food is regular pub fare and the chicken strips are legendary.
She should maybe do some advertising, most our friends didn't know Bankshots was there. Check it out for sure if your looking to play pool in Vancouver!

xTraJunk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If Vancouver

If you're looking for a pool room in Vancouver, there's Commodore downtown or Guy and Dolls right outside downtown. For action I would go to the latter. However, for ambience and historical uniqueness, I would check out Commodore Lanes and Billiards. It's right in the heart of downtown. Lots of shopping, places to eat and OMG the eye candy!! Goes both ways, so ladies, you won't lose out. :wink: Guys and Dolls on the other hand is all about action. Or as close as it comes to the definition in a city where the game is dying if not dead. You can feel the shady energy as soon as you walk through the doors. But just like a buffet, there's something for everyone. And some players embrace that sort of stuff.

Outside of Vancouver, we have Oscar's in Richmond. Fine fine place. I give mad props to the owner and how he keeps up with it all. And did I mention he shoots a great game? Nice people, nice room. In Richmond there are several Snooker rooms and other pool room. Non-action.

Then there's Bankshots and the Ballroom. Can't say much as I don't venture out that way often. I hope that helps.

xJ

sygfrid

alaskador
Silver Member
We're hoping to migrate to BC mid next and I will surely be bringing my pool stuff there. I hope the pool halls mentioned above do really have great tables.

When I went to BC way back in 2006, I got to play somewhere near King George Highway I think. Unfortunately, I didn't like the tables. I didn't have the chance to go around BC to look for pool halls. Hopefully, next year I would :rolleyes:

Philthepockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At this juncture I will simply quote my most famous fortune cookie. " Reduce expectations to avoid disappointment"

I now live by this :D

sygfrid

alaskador
Silver Member
Finally, we're migrating to BC this July! I hope there are new pool halls in the area or the old good ones are still there :thumbup: