Playing Nine Ball Ghost....Feel Free to Critique

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I posted a video earlier this week and I appreciated all the feedback I got. So here's a clip of me playing the nineball ghost. I know I got out of line on several of these racks and got lucky to end up with a shot. I also know that my cue ball was moving around too much on the break.

It's a short race to 5. If you got about 20 minutes take a look and let me know what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0b2a_PiSDE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOmsIKU3-oI

Put_upor_shutup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I noticed u cheated at about 7:36..I then changed the channel..ha ha but I would suggest playin those racks out when u get in a tough position.(to see where u really do stand)...Then remembering all the shots u had trouble with and workin on them when u are done..U look like u play pretty decent though...Controlling whitey on the snap looks to be your biggest factor....

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
I noticed u cheated at about 7:36..I then changed the channel..ha ha but I would suggest playin those racks out when u get in a tough position.(to see where u really do stand)...Then remembering all the shots u had trouble with and workin on them when u are done..U look like u play pretty decent though...Controlling whitey on the snap looks to be your biggest factor....

Yeah yo, stop cheating on tape fool!

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
Use the tangent line more...

I posted a video earlier this week and I appreciated all the feedback I got. So here's a clip of me playing the nineball ghost. I know I got out of line on several of these racks and got lucky to end up with a shot. I also know that my cue ball was moving around too much on the break.

It's a short race to 5. If you got about 20 minutes take a look and let me know what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0b2a_PiSDE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOmsIKU3-oI

I would suggest using the tangent line more.

In the second game you could have used stun with the tangent to come two rails off the five to the six, the angle of approach is then better if your speed is slightly off.

Jaden

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
First of all, you play very well. Great shooting.

I know I'm probably guilty of the stuff I'm about to mention as well... but here it is anyway...

You dont seem to treat each shot with the same respect. Try to nail down a set preshot routine and stick to it for the hangers just as you would the tough shots. Take your time a bit more. That seems to be what differentiates us from the pros (other then making balls and running out LOL)

You mentioned your cueball on the snap. Seems to be gravitating to towards the side pocket opposite from where you break. If you arent using any english on the snap try aiming at the same spot you normally aim at but with a touch of inside english. The squirt from the cueball should give a slightly fuller hit on the rack and keep you away from that pocket.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would suggest using the tangent line more.

In the second game you could have used stun with the tangent to come two rails off the five to the six, the angle of approach is then better if your speed is slightly off.

Jaden

Good point. Looking at that I think you know what you're talking about. The shot was a bit straight, but I still should have did as you suggested. I wasn't even fully committed to the shot I selected. I think I was going to just put a touch of left on it and try to lag it to the middle of the table. You saw what happened - I missed position but got lucky.

Here's the shot you are suggesting I think. Looks really easy now that I'm looking at it on the computer. Thanks for posting.

CueTable Help

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you play quite well.The only suggestion I have is to keep more of the quicker speed of play that you showed a couple of times.

JC

Coos Cues
Shot selection

That was a really good outcome drawing the ball almost table length to get to the two ball from the one in the last rack. Not sure it was the right shot with ball in hand though. Seems like there were some higher percentage options available. Just a thought

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First of all, you play very well. Great shooting.

I know I'm probably guilty of the stuff I'm about to mention as well... but here it is anyway...

You dont seem to treat each shot with the same respect. Try to nail down a set preshot routine and stick to it for the hangers just as you would the tough shots. Take your time a bit more. That seems to be what differentiates us from the pros (other then making balls and running out LOL)

You mentioned your cueball on the snap. Seems to be gravitating to towards the side pocket opposite from where you break. If you arent using any english on the snap try aiming at the same spot you normally aim at but with a touch of inside english. The squirt from the cueball should give a slightly fuller hit on the rack and keep you away from that pocket.

Others have pointed out the same thing to me - my lack of a preshot routine - and all this time I thought I had one :)

I obviously need to nail this down some more. Thanks for pointing that out.

I don't know about the inside english trick on the break:scratchhead: It may have merit. I understand what you are talking about. I know I can do a better job breaking. This really was the first time I had even played nineball in a couple of weeks so my break was a little rusty. I think I can hit the one more square without adding any english. I'll keep your idea in the back of my mind though.

Thanks for watching.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you play quite well.The only suggestion I have is to keep more of the quicker speed of play that you showed a couple of times.

Others have told me to give each shot the same level of consideration. I think this would cause me to play slower. It sounds like you are telling me to give each shot less consideration, in order to play faster. I think the others may be right on this one.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That was a really good outcome drawing the ball almost table length to get to the two ball from the one in the last rack. Not sure it was the right shot with ball in hand though. Seems like there were some higher percentage options available. Just a thought

The right shot was probably to shoot the 1-9 combo, but I don't like taking those easy games against the ghost so I took the harder route. I know those types of combos need to be practiced since they do come up a lot in nineball and I have to admit that I don't spend much time on combos at this point in my life.

loyarc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great Playing

I know its supposed to be a critique, but when you only miss two balls, that's pretty tough.

Great set.

What type of setup do you have; it looked like the table was playing a little bit slow.

Also, Classicbilliards.net might have a replacement counter for your table.

JC

Coos Cues
The right shot was probably to shoot the 1-9 combo, but I don't like taking those easy games against the ghost so I took the harder route. I know those types of combos need to be practiced since they do come up a lot in nineball and I have to admit that I don't spend much time on combos at this point in my life.

I wasn't considering the combo although that's a good point about practicing those "easy" combos that come up in pressure situations and get missed. Often we don't want to end a challenging runout like that in practice and forget to practice everything. Good set. The ghost owns me.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
Others have told me to give each shot the same level of consideration. I think this would cause me to play slower. It sounds like you are telling me to give each shot less consideration, in order to play faster. I think the others may be right on this one.

Not necessarily, he's not saying to you should give less consideration but rather perhaps you perform at a quicker pace. I haven't watched all of your videos but finding your rhythm is an important part of the learning process. Also keep in mind even quick players do take pause when needed, for example I've seen Ronnie O'Sullivan slow down and carefully consider his options. But when things are obvious he doesn't waste any time.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
In your first game your ball in hand, your angle from your five to the six was critically simple and you put draw? on a simple lag roll shot to the 5, and on your next shot, you should of been above the six....you just lackadasically rolled down to the six (you had to elevate, and cue ball had a small hop) accepting your shape which is poor planning, you should of had a very comfortable bridge hand position to either stop on the 6, roll down and up on the six to the seven or two rails out to the seven. Also, on your shot from the 7 to the 8, you should play precise shape and get closer to the 8 (you actuall drew the cue ball away from the 8) you should of landed on the head rail, close and below the 8 for a natural cut lag to the long rail for shape on the 9. I don't need to look at the rest of your play as you seem to get where you want to but not exactly where you should be, this type of play will get you in allot of trouble in the long haul.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hesitate to give advice to people because I'm not a great player and from that short video it is hard to determine how much you do or don't know.

At 4:45 going from the 5 to the 6 you ran into the 6 and ended up with a more difficult shot than you needed to. Two things: I couldn't tell for sure but it appeared you could have gone two rails with low outside back to the middle of the table for the 6. If you don't already know the plus two system you should check out Dr Dave or Bob Jewett's videos, it will enable you to predict accurately what angle the cue ball will take on a two rail shot like that. The other thing is you got the wrong angle going forward one rail. I would suggest some 14.1 or equal offense. That type of shot comes up a lot in those games.

The other shot was at 8:40 when you caught the point trying to go three rails to get shape for the 7 in the side. A simpler way to play that without pounding the ball would have been to go forward one rail with for the 7 in the corner up table. Regardless of which side of the 7 you get on you have a relatively easy shot to get on the 9.

You appear to be a good player. At your age if you focus on improving you have the potential to start finishing high in tournaments.

Good luck.