Mcdermott Shafts?????

Viking7215

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
mc-dermott-i-shafts_thumb.jpg

MCDXSGEB_SM250x150-23560.jpg

My uncle has a beautiful Mcdermott cue from about 1995 with our family name engraved in the butt, but the shaft on it broke a couple of years ago and he kinda put the stick down for a little while just playing a couple games here and there but I have took it upon myself to get him back in the sport and he is along for the ride. My cousin recently bought the G-Core and i thought that was Mcdermotts new line of shafts to compete with Predator but then I stumbled across these Intimidators that are more expensive which usually means better quality and that really threw me off. Has anyone played with any of these I would love to hear your feedback and explain the difference between all these, also any possible sites that is selling these shafts for a good price.

He also has a old Meucci and the shafts he has for that are old but kinda warped and I was looking into the Black Dot for that and I already know alot about this shaft from a local dealer but the Mcdermott has far more sentimental value.

yhst-15240533473286_2177_69379703

Viking7215

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
G-Core and i-Shaft Comparison
McDermott's i-Shaft and G-Core each have their own unique core contruction to implement the triple-layer carbon fiber technology. The G-Core's carbon fiber starts at the tip and extends through the first 7 inches of the shaft. This gives it the accuracy and power benefits of a high-performance shaft, but with the familiar feel of a traditional all-maple shaft. Unlike the G-Core, the i-Shaft's carbon fiber starts at the ferrule and continues through the entire shaft, making it the most radial consistent shaft on the market. This minimizes the inconsistencies experienced with an all-maple shaft. The i-Shaft also uses McDermott's Tenon Tip Technology in which the ferrule has a tenon that fits inside of the carbon fiber core.

I already know some information about the G-Core cause like I said my cousin just got it but have not seen anyone shoot with Green, Blue, and Red I-Shafts. The paragraph above did not give me the information I have been looking for about these shafts i just kinda wanna know what sets them apart from one another and why they are more expensive than a Predator shaft... Well at least buying directly from Mcdermott they are more expensive ($250)

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I know you probably want to suprise your uncle, but a cue/shaft is all about personal feel and what the shooter is use to. I would let him choose. Johnnyt

ArizonaPete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I shoot with the McDermott I-3 and really like it. The 11.75mm tip gives me a sense of geometric precision where I hit the cue ball. It comes with a Moori Soft tip. You would expect some mushrooming with a soft tip, but I've been playing for almost a year with that tip and have seen no mushrooming. The service plan that comes with the shaft can't be beat. Just send it in and they'll clean the shaft, reseal it, and put a new Moori Soft tip on it for free (and that's a lifetime plan). There is a $21 charge for shipping and handling but it's hard to find a Moori tip for that price. I've played with an OB-2 but didn't like the ferrule on it - too distracting to me. I didn't see any difference in performance between the I-3 and the OB-2. I haven't played with the G-shaft, but Scott Lee (the instructor) has written several posts about it and likes playing with it. By the way, I bought my I-3 used on this forum at just about half price of a new one and have seen some for sale occasionaly. Good luck in your quest. I'm certain your Uncle will appreciate your gift of a new shaft for his favorite cue.

Last edited:

TomInFaribo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I2 and two I3s

I have been shooting with the I shafts for several years now (Old 67 McDermott butt) and am quite satisfied with them. I switched to Kamui soft tips 4-5 years ago which I believe Kamui is std now for McDermotts. My second I3 is longer.
I would recommend a non Master player in using a larger tip than the 11.75. I've talked to instructors and players and the small tip gives them unwanted english etc. on the smallest mishits. Couldn't control the cueball. This was happening to me when I picked up the game again.
If he is getting back into the game the G-Core comes with many different tip sizes (another good reason for the G-Core) and I would maybe opt to split the difference I2-I3 and go for around a 12.25 -12.5mm tip..
Get a last4ever.net tip tool. They are great. and a Kamui soft. If you miscue then its your own fault.
Then,
Learn backhand english and where your pivot point is. That may offset the difference in the shafts if any. These are just my thoughts. Good Luck

Rockin' Robin

Mr. Texas Express
Silver Member
My suggestion would be to take or send the cue to McDermott, have them refinish and make a new shaft for the cue just like the original. Any change from the standard shaft is going to make the cue play differently. If he was happy with the cue as it was originally purchased, then just a refurbishing should be all that is needed. Total cost for making the cue brand new again is less than 250 dollars.