have you found the one?

Sawyer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
have you found your perfect cue? or cue maker? people have told me before that one day i would stop buying selling and trading cues and i never believed them, because its always about the deal of the day at that time. do i need money? is that a good looking cue? do i have the money? well im not saying that im going to stop buying selling and trading cues but not my cues ever again. i came across a good deal and got a chilton custom cue and feel in love then just to make sure i bought one directly from him and it hit just as good and feel just as solid then i bought the last one. this guys cue are amazing and reasonably priced also. i never want to play with another cue makers cue and i mean they are extremely well built hit solid you just can not ask for anything more. but have you found the one? or are you still looking if so give this guy a try. tell/show me yours.

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Cuemaker

My cuemaker is Bob Owen, local in Wichita (which is an advantage), and I have known Bob 30+ years. I mean since before when I used to give the 7 ball to Gabe ... lol

I had a custom before from Bob, excellent balance (and that is extremely important to me in a cue), which was Bacote and Padauk, and was featured in American Cueist magazine in January 2003.

I am going to have Bob make me another cue next year after my pension kicks in. I have decided I want Amboyna Burl to be my main wood, but am still pondering what other wood would complement it, and I do not want Ebony or BEM or a vanilla type wood. I was thinking kind of a tan or dark tan wood would look good with it. I am still deciding about inlays, but it will have some ivory.

I have also been intrigued by the cues that Dindo Perez made from the Philippines, may he rest in peace. He had a lot of cues that are being finished by his assistants still, and he used a lot of Amboyna Burl in his cues. I may also pick up a player from Ron, his friend and partner.

I understand how easily someone could slip into buying and selling cues, it has a pull towards it, kind of like Pool does .... lol

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Well, it's happening

I am starting to slip into the more than one cue category. I just got a quote from Ron (Theredfury) who was Dindo Perez's friend and partner that I can not pass up on, it is just too good, especially with 2 shafts and shipping included. What tip is better a Sniper or a Moori?

LOL - Now I am going to have to get a 4 x 8 case ...

worktheknight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also have bought and sold cues for years and am a cue dealer. Over the years, getting older now, should say more expierenced, lol, but have been able to shoot many years with different cues. I have more sought out the best joss for me, the best schon for me, the best mike erwin for me, the best viking, the best mcdermott and so on. The next person would think I'm nuts as their game is different than mine. Their strengths are different. When walk in customers arrive, I ask what they need to improve on, what's their weakness, as in my own opinion, some cues will slightly give an edge over others, not so much the brand, but thee cue itself I might have on hand.
I've known Dale Chilton for many years and in fact, have about four of his original flying eagle jump cues from when he first started making them. I should give him a call. Dale can make a great cue, no doubt about.
Great Post, will be fun to see what people might post as if they found the one. I myself, have not found " it " yet, but, have my favorites. I will say though, a little plug from a wonderful person from Florida, website of frankiedoodle dot com makes some fantastic shafts, real old school fellow. very reasonable priced.

jhanso18

Broken Lock
Silver Member
My signature says it all.

Keith Kustom

It's the only way to shoot.

(mine it the feature cue on the main page right now.

samiun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll stick to my cue maker, his making a cue that I personally loved the feel and the cue are very easy of adapt with my playing style. He always make the cue that fit my playing style and my pocket, although my brother doesn't like it too much. :)

Gogafem

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's really no such thing as the perfect cue.
No cue plays by itself and with any cue sooner or later you will make a mistake once!
The obvious aside, there can be a perfect cue that feels perfect for you. I use Poison AR5 and it feels really excellent for me. I really love it. I've tried the Mezz MI-1 cue and that's the closest to perfect cue I've tried ;)...

Cankerz

Registered
Ryan Theewen, RAT cues, makes a great cue, I have had his for about a month now and I love it. I got an i3 on it and that is probably my favorite shaft.
Cues

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I doubt it

I doubt I have bought my last cue or shaft. The truth is the 2 cues I have are both capable of shooting better then I can if a better shooter used them, as are my guns. When a hobby is also a passion it is really not some thing I try very hard to resist spending time and money on.

Hircine

Larry Byrd
Silver Member
I've been getting better ever since I stuck an I3 on my lucky, no desire to switch whole cues now. I'd maybe try to purchase a used butt, but its hard to find those.

Highmiles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The good: JossWest, 1/1 Russ Espiritu, 1/1 Pechauer, Joss, AE, early Dale Perry, custom 1/1 Danny Stoudt, very early Meucci, Palmer, and (surprisingly) an early CueTec.

The bad: Viking, Heubler, Helmstettler, Adam, and others that were equally forgettable.

The one: Schon, with stock, standard, shaft and tip.

I've had several Schon cues over the years, including an SP33 I would love to get back. I have an STL13, and a CX04, and the CX04 is the keeper.
Forget the 1st gen 314 shaft, and the later version I had. Forget the layered tips I went through.

What works for me and feels perfect to me, might be the absolute worst choice for you, and vice versa. It's all about what works. I wasted far too many years chasing the perfect cue. I hit with way too many customs, and spent far too much money. It is my own fault. I knew fairly early on what worked, but I got stupid and thought there was a miracle waiting out there. The more expensive, the better the miracle.

Light and set on one cue. Devote the time to learn it's soul, and how to use it to it's best advantage. You'll save a lot of time and money.

Last edited:

DJ66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will probably get laughed off of this thread, but I had a favorite go-to cue about 15 years ago, hit great, I picked it up cheap (less than $100), and incredibly ugly (in the eyes of the beholders).I picked it over my schon, joss, and falcon cues for most league and tournament play.
What was this magical cue?
A Viking sample cue. It had several colors of stain on the forearm in 1 inch increments, the wrap was done the same way as well as the butt, and the butt cap was 1/2 black, 1/2 white.
I would still have these cues if my ex hadn't stolen them along with my "star of david" autographed by David Howard Meucci and several others.
Oh, well.

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
Bob Frey, no $ could ever pry my player out of my hands, no amount.

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Silver Member
Fine by me

I will probably get laughed off of this thread, but I had a favorite go-to cue about 15 years ago, hit great, I picked it up cheap (less than $100), and incredibly ugly (in the eyes of the beholders).I picked it over my schon, joss, and falcon cues for most league and tournament play.
What was this magical cue?
A Viking sample cue. It had several colors of stain on the forearm in 1 inch increments, the wrap was done the same way as well as the butt, and the butt cap was 1/2 black, 1/2 white.
I would still have these cues if my ex hadn't stolen them along with my "star of david" autographed by David Howard Meucci and several others.
Oh, well.

Whatever cue works best for you is fine by me. Nobody else's opinion matters other than your own anyway, unless you let it.

rubberheels

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the one

Paul Mottey Hoppe with Ivory ferrules and a Morri Or Kamui tip . or a Pred shaft. real good hit!

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have to admit it. I'm a Jimmy-come-lately to the joys of Bob Frey. I got a sneaky of his a few months ago and my search is over. Now WTF do I do with these other cues?