Pocketing Balls in Opponent's Pocket - 1 Pocket

xopher

Registered
I understand that when a player mistakenly shoots balls in the wrong pocket (forgets which pocket is theirs) that the first ball counts for the opponent, but that subsequent balls do not. My question is: how are the subsequently pocketed balls handled? Are they spotted? Are they replaced on the table as best they can to the positions they were in before being pocketed?

Thanks much : )

murdoc23

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After you pocket the first ball in the opponents pocket your turn should be over. They (opponent) should alert you to the mistake. If this doesn't happen and you continue to pocket balls there, then once the mistake is identified yes, I think all subsequent balls are spotted.

The REALLY strange rule to me that I don't understand is: Let's say your opponent has 6 balls in, and one that is hanging on the lip of the pocket. You can intentionally pocket that hanger, and scratch in the same stroke, the hanger gets spotted, you have to pay a penalty ball, and the opponent gets cue ball in hand in the kitchen. Now can someone explain to me why in the world that hanging ball you pocketed for the opponent comes out and gets spotted? It seems like it should count for the opponent.

xopher

Registered
I actually do understand that one. It's because any ball that is pocketed on the same shot as a scratch does not count - either for yourself or for your opponent.