Billiard table finally in Des Moines

dug1903

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Big Dog Billiards has finally set up a table. It's a heated Soren Sogaard. So come on guys and gals lets put it to good use.

dogloose

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On my website 3CushionBilliards.com I maintain the most comprehensive list of rooms to play 3C in the US. I have updated my online listing "Where To Play" for Big Dog Billiards to reflect the new table. Thanks for the tip!

As all my online listings include outside picture, google map and inside picture I am hoping that one of our AZBilliards forum members might take a picture and post it here so I can update the inside picture and show the new table.

Home Page: 3cushionbilliards.com

Big Dog Listing: Big Dog Billiards now has Soren Sogaard Table

If anyone knows of other rooms around the country with a 3C table that I've missed... please send me a PM. Thanks.

dug1903

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah. Played on it last Thurs. I thought it played well. But I'm a beginner. They do need a better set of balls though. I play leagues at 7 Mon. so I'll go early and play a little 3c till leagues.

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stopped in last Wed and it was all leveled up ready for cloth and rails. The cloth is used but what I saw was in good shape. The balls? Bring your own. Theirs should be donated to a museum.

dug1903

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
if you guys want somebody to beat up on let me know. I would love to play.

jjacobson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Going to DM Saturday. Hope to at least play an hour or so. Not sure when I'll be there for sure, Dug. From 10-3. In there somewhere. Email or text me! JJ

jjacobson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Made it to Big Dogs to play on the Sogaard. I'll be nice and say it was a little dirty and Tom, you were right about the balls, but I did bring a set of measles with me. The nice gal behind the counter used one of the Simonis cleaning pads on the table, which helped it slightly. Speed wasn't terrible, but you couldn't shoot any spin shots without the english dieing after the 2nd rail. I do think vacuuming after every 50 pts. or so (leave it by the table for the players) and using a damp cloth a couple times a day, would greatly elevate the playing conditions. That and freshly polished balls for each game.

They have a 3-cushion players list started which may turn into a league if people want it.

Talked to James (proprietor) and said he plans on having a shot contest soon!!

There were a few carom players there and plenty of people interested in the game, so I hope they get enough players to justify another table!!

If anyone is passing through, please stop in to Big Dogs and help promote this fine sport!!

It is a really nice room!!! JJ

dogloose

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If a tournament or shot contest come about please let me know and I will add to my event calendar and help promote on 3cushionbilliards.com

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
i saw a guy run 9 and 2-6's in an hour tonight. at big dogs. what level of play is that?

9 is pretty dang good
Try and keep track of the innings,then we'll know the level of these players and be able to tell you how good they are

Without the innings we don't know what average they are, that's what let's you know their level of play

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Made it to Big Dogs to play on the Sogaard. I'll be nice and say it was a little dirty and Tom, you were right about the balls, but I did bring a set of measles with me. The nice gal behind the counter used one of the Simonis cleaning pads on the table, which helped it slightly. Speed wasn't terrible, but you couldn't shoot any spin shots without the english dieing after the 2nd rail. I do think vacuuming after every 50 pts. or so (leave it by the table for the players) and using a damp cloth a couple times a day, would greatly elevate the playing conditions. That and freshly polished balls for each game.

It is a really nice room!!! JJ

I mentioned the maintenance to a guy working the counter. Hope he sees this to reinforce the idea. IMO its especially important with an older Sogaard. The guy told me they clean all the tables everyday. Told him I clean mine about every 2 hours of play. Good idea to store the vacuum under that table. If its used we all know the cloth and balls will last a lot longer cutting room expense too. Hope these aren't wasted words!!!

mikeiniowa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's been my experience they do not use a vacuum or brush in the tables. Wet microfiber cloth and recently started using the simonis tool.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
all carom rooms use vacuums on their tables, that ive seen,

from on kozoom in europe, to here in houston in chinatown

dogloose

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Houston billiard room owners are (for the most part) 3-cushion players themselves. They love the game. They have invested 10's of thousands of dollars in high-end heated tables. And they further sink money into cloth and mechanic fees about every 6-9 months. So they have respect for the equipment and ensure the tables are vacuumed after the table changes hands. Microfiber wipe down? Maybe if two players want to hold the table and start another game... a quick wipe down with the Simonis tool. Wet? No! Never! That can cake up the chalk dust under the cloth. Yuck. I've seen it... I don't like it.

The local players are like the surfers in the great movie "The Endless Summer". The surfers would follow the sun and go where the best waves were to surf. The 3-cushion players in Houston follow the cloth and go where the tables have recently been recovered to play. When a room neglects their tables, they quickly get a bad rap and lose business. The rooms that have good equipment are always packed. And they sell a lot of beer.

jjacobson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Never use damp cloth before vacuuming!!! Make sure all the chalk is off of the cloth and then only a damp cloth. Been doing it for years that way, and have never had any chalk under the cloth. A heated table will disperse the dampness quickly, too.

I've been trying to email the proprietor, but am having issues with my server.

Perhaps Lupe Cruz was the person playing when you witnessed the 9 and 6's? Hopefully he's made it there to check it out at least. jj