10 months in, hit the wall big time, cant make a ball.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
there is nothing wrong with offering free help
BUT
at least in my case you offered "free" help but it was only to get me to pay for more lessons
you were shocked when i didnt think more lessons with you were worth it to pay for
jmho

From memory, I offered you further free lessons. That offer stands.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... (took a hour lesson from a big time pro, got nothing at all from it) so im not sure spending more money going that route is the answer. ...
In my experience the majority of big time pros have no clue about how to deal with fundamentals.

I will be in San Luis Obispo in July if you have no plan to come to the Bay Area.

Try video recording yourself. Maybe you can see something with that. If you go that way, I have some shots/camera positions that are useful.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
judochoke...Like I told you months ago, get a lesson from a qualified professional instructor (one who knows how to do video analysis). That would be your best money spent.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

pretty much playing every night for 10 months at home, things were going pretty good I thought. was running 7 balls at time in 9 ball, (throwing out 7 balls only), and I thought I was ready to step into the next realm of intermediate pool.

well that exploded big time. seems like now I cant even make a shot anymore. dont know what happened. same aiming system, same bridge, same shot routine, same stance.
everything disappeared. almost broke my stick a couple of time I was that pissed off.

(took a hour lesson from a big time pro, got nothing at all from it) so im not sure spending more money going that route is the answer.

so now what do I do? I have books, videos, diagrams, ect ect. nothing is working

how far back to the basics do I have to go to. stop shots for a week straight????

HELP PLEASE

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
In honor of the tsuris, I just sent numerous messages to a great number of folks, offering them a free one-hour lesson, no obligation, including folks who've already had free lessons from me.

You are all correct, I need to do more to help others, this is a great first step.

Thanks!

skipbales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lesson no value

(took a hour lesson from a big time pro, got nothing at all from it) so im not sure spending more money going that route is the answer.

E

As someone who has taken a lot of lessons I can sympathize. Most instructors teach what they teach. They have an agenda and start everyone at one point and go step by step. If they ever get to your issue before you go broke you get help.

It is rare for an instructor to analyze YOU, find your issues and help you fix them. There are some good ones. Scott Lee is helpful in this way. He believes in video so you can see for yourself what you are doing.

For me (non instructor) when I go trough this I simplify things. Not necessarily all straight in stop shots but how about some relatively easy shots with a specific target to regain your focus. You know you will make the shot so there is positive reinforcement and focusing on landing in a specific small round circle helps you fine tune. After you get your focus back you can make the shots tougher.

BTW the drill you are doing is one of the most frustrating for me. It takes me forever to go up one ball. I am stuck on 5 balls at 50% and have been there for a long time. I switched to a basic straight pool type drill to run as many balls as I can. Two days ago I did 137 in 10 racks and came right back on a 29 for the next 10. Life just isn't fair. Best wishes to you fellow struggler..

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
As someone who has taken a lot of lessons I can sympathize. Most instructors teach what they teach. They have an agenda and start everyone at one point and go step by step. If they ever get to your issue before you go broke you get help.

It is rare for an instructor to analyze YOU, find your issues and help you fix them. There are some good ones. Scott Lee is helpful in this way. He believes in video so you can see for yourself what you are doing.

For me (non instructor) when I go trough this I simplify things. Not necessarily all straight in stop shots but how about some relatively easy shots with a specific target to regain your focus. You know you will make the shot so there is positive reinforcement and focusing on landing in a specific small round circle helps you fine tune. After you get your focus back you can make the shots tougher.

BTW the drill you are doing is one of the most frustrating for me. It takes me forever to go up one ball. I am stuck on 5 balls at 50% and have been there for a long time. I switched to a basic straight pool type drill to run as many balls as I can. Two days ago I did 137 in 10 racks and came right back on a 29 for the next 10. Life just isn't fair. Best wishes to you fellow struggler..

Unfortunately, you are correct. I took flack here for posting an article where I detailed one student's journey to get a fix that cost him many thousands of dollars and wasted years of frustration.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It has been three weeks since the OP posted here. I'm wondering if he found anything useful in this thread.

judochoke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yes I did find very usefull information on my thread. I did take a couple days off from shooting, but I had to get back to the table, as I really enjoy practicing. empty household, all the kids are married and have moved out, the wife still works, im retired. so she goes into her room to read and relax, and I have the radio on and practice.

after a couple of days of still sucking, all of a sudden things made a huge turnaround for me.started slowing down, started thinking about each shot and how to get to where I wanted to go. did some drills, started out by beating the ghost with 6 balls in rotation, and now im back up to throwing or breaking with all 9 balls.

of coarse I still get out of line, but im playing much better. coming up on my one year of playing pretty much ever day, (July 27). and im thinking I will need another year to get to where I want to be.

you guys have been a huge help for me, and im on this site everynight reading and watching the daily pool video. thanks again boys, see you in a year:grin::grin:

KenRobbins

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yes I did find very usefull information on my thread. I did take a couple days off from shooting, but I had to get back to the table, as I really enjoy practicing. empty household, all the kids are married and have moved out, the wife still works, im retired. so she goes into her room to read and relax, and I have the radio on and practice.

You got yourself a good woman there. I took a year off work, anymore then that she would've kicked me out of the house. Just a tip, don't use all your testosterone up practicing, save some of that for the wife. lol

A family member of mine decided to retire to travel the country in his motorhome and take me along to shoot pool. He thought his wife was going to continue to work. That didn't work out to well. She quit her job the day he retired from his. He's collecting his retirement, but also working another full time job while she's enjoying her retirement now.

Unfortunately, things didn't go as planned. Not sure if she would've let him keep the motorhome. lol

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You got yourself a good woman there. I took a year off work, anymore then that she would've kicked me out of the house. Just a tip, don't use all your testosterone up practicing, save some of that for the wife. lol

A family member of mine decided to retire to travel the country in his motorhome and take me along to shoot pool. He thought his wife was going to continue to work. That didn't work out to well. She quit her job the day he retired from his. He's collecting his retirement, but also working another full time job while she's enjoying her retirement now.

Unfortunately, things didn't go as planned. Not sure if she would've let him keep the motorhome. lol

I have found that men aren't all that understanding either when it's the woman who wants to take time off to shoot pool.

KenRobbins

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have found that men aren't all that understanding either when it's the woman who wants to take time off to shoot pool.

I was only kidding around about my wife kicking me out of the house. She's more then welcomed to join me or go solo with whatever she chooses to do. She spends about 2 months total a year in Florida taking care of her parents. She goes down for 2 weeks at a time every other month. I stay behind to take care of the responsibilities around the home. We've been together 22 years. I don't see anything going wrong at this point, we're very settled. I got me a good woman too.

The story about my family member is very true. I'm grateful my relationship with my wife is not like that.