Mr 600

Buzzo80

Registered
Sure , he did it , I believe him. SIDE BAR

1964, playing in a pool room in Laredo, Texas. Just got back from whorehouse in Nuevo Laredo, enroute back to San Antonio. Guy challenges me to straight pool, run to 100 for $20. Making $57 a month in USAF , so I am set to go. First rack he leaves himself straight in on the 15 th ball . I rack up 14, waiting for him to make 15th ball, then play a safe. He pockets ball. Then when cue stops he slams it into rack, then proceeds to shoot while I scream at him.
He says that's the way 14-1 is played. We get into an argument and owner comes over before we come to blows. Owner agrees with this guy and says he will prove it. Goes behind counter and brings out a book. NO, not a rule book but Guiness book of world records. Reads aloud Mosconi 526 balls, looks me dead in the eye and with a straight face says

"Are you gonna try and tell me he did it your way ? ".

No way! LOL Played by house rules and left $20 richer.

Last edited:

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
The illusory truth effect (also known as the validity effect, truth effect, or the reiteration effect) is the tendency to believe false information to be correct after repeated exposure.[1] This phenomenon was first identified in a 1977 study at Villanova University and Temple University.[2][3] When truth is assessed, people rely on whether the information is in line with their understanding or if it feels familiar. The first condition is logical, as people compare new information with what they already know to be true. Repetition makes statements easier to process relative to new, unrepeated statements, leading people to believe that the repeated conclusion is more truthful. The illusory truth effect has also been linked to "hindsight bias", in which the recollection of confidence is skewed after the truth has been received.
In a 2015 study, researchers discovered that familiarity can overpower rationality and that repetitively hearing that a certain fact is wrong can affect the hearer's beliefs.[4] Researchers attributed the illusory truth effect's impact on participants who knew the correct answer to begin with, but were persuaded to believe otherwise through the repetition of a falsehood, to "processing fluency".
The illusory truth effect plays a significant role in such fields as election campaigns, advertising, news media, and political propaganda.

Opinions are plentiful. To each his own. About twenty-five posts of the yeas/nays and 1385 repeats doesn't say much for the illusion of truth.

No fair...to commit literary theft

Philthepockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think he was just banging balls around waiting for his take out order to be ready.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Oh I though he just did not know the rules.

4.3 Opening Break Shot

The following rules apply to the opening break shot:
(a) The cue ball begins in hand behind the head string.
(b) If no called ball is pocketed, the cue ball and two object balls must each be driven to a rail
after the cue ball contacts the rack or the shot is a breaking foul. (See 8.4 Driven to a Rail.)
This is penalized by subtracting two points from the breaker’s score. (See 4.10 Breaking
Foul.) The non-breaking player may accept the balls in position or may require the breaker to
play another opening break shot, until he satisfies the requirements for an opening break or
the non-shooting player accepts the table in position. (See 4.11 Serious Fouls)

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
Danny, do you ever get confused as to which account you're on or do the squirrel monkey hawks floating above the fields of your wrath or however you said it keep all in a row like moose?

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

4.3 Opening Break Shot

(b) If no called ball is pocketed, the cue ball and two object balls must each be driven to a rail
after the cue ball contacts the rack or the shot is a breaking foul. (See 8.4 Driven to a Rail.)
This is penalized by subtracting two points from the breaker’s score. (See 4.10 Breaking
Foul.) The non-breaking player may accept the balls in position or may require the breaker to
play another opening break shot, until he satisfies the requirements for an opening break or

Here’s another DCC straight pool run...these are the same conditions JS ran 626...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oYgBw2aRgY

...are you saying none of these runs have value?

I honor Darren Appleton’s 200 run the most...he did it in a competitive match...
...a championship, no less.

Willie’s 526 was done in an exhibition...
..John’s run was done under DCC challenge conditions.

Seems to me some of you people have a “glass is half empty” problem.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sidebar, wow.

Sure , he did it , I believe him. SIDE BAR

1964, playing in a pool room in Laredo, Texas. Just got back from whorehouse in Nuevo Laredo, enroute back to San Antonio. Guy challenges me to straight pool, run to 100 for $20. Making $57 a month in USAF , so I am set to go. First rack he leaves himself straight in on the 15 th ball . I rack up 14, waiting for him to make 15th ball, then play a safe. He pockets ball. Then when cue stops he slams it into rack, then proceeds to shoot while I scream at him.
He says that's the way 14-1 is played. We get into an argument and owner comes over before we come to blows. Owner agrees with this guy and says he will prove it. Goes behind counter and brings out a book. NO, not a rule book but Guiness book of world records. Reads aloud Mosconi 526 balls, looks me dead in the eye and with a straight face says

"Are you gonna try and tell me he did it your way ? ".

No way! LOL Played by house rules and left $20 richer.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member

4.3 Opening Break Shot

Mosconi 526 started mid-rack in an exhibition match and extended into some sort of hard to categorize "just kept shooting after the match was over" mode...but so what? 526 in a row or 626 in a row or 100 in a row involves multiple breaks. If your going to bring something up, pick something that is different about the runs.

Last edited:

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Two, maybe three of them are Danny. At least one could only be the reincarnation of Balls. The rest just seem to be groupies.

Philthepockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mosconi 526 started mid-rack in an exhibition match and extended into some sort of hard to categorize "just kept shooting after the match was over" mode...but so what? 526 in a row or 626 in a row or 100 in a row involves multiple breaks. If your going to bring something up, pick something that is different about the runs.

Are there any other sports that recognize "records" that are not according to official rules and outside of competition?

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Are there any other sports that recognize "records" that are not according to official rules and outside of competition?
What other sports are we talking about here? None.

It's an exhibition record. Go read the last 1400 posts and come back with something new.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
oh ya

Oh, I stand corrected. The 95% don't care what your thoughts on a video you could never accomplish. My bad. Feel better now buttercup ;)

No worries, there is still the 5% conspiracy theory guys that demand proof (even though the BCA confirmed it) But damn it, you need proof that satisfies you. Sorry, get over it buttercup, JS is King of the Hill now, :)

But, hey, you got that sharking story from the last century to hold on to, so squeeze it tight and never let go of that hate, they say it's good for you ;)

Instead of using generalizations like nobody and everybody (moron talk) - u just start throwin round percentages, so now u speak for 95 % of az forum = narcissism. Good luck with that windy pizza scraper. I also have some un edited video of me running over him like a locomotive - on more than one occasion and proby have some of yer $ in my pocket :) I will hang on to that - too. Also I am not as much of a butter cup ass u are an internet bully wanna b.

Philthepockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What other sports are we talking about here? None.

It's an exhibition record. Go read the last 1400 posts and come back with something new.

"exhibition record" I googled that and got some very weird results.
What constitutes an Exhibition?
Was it 14.1 or ?
No referee?
Did he commit any fouls? move any balls?
So many questions so few answers.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
"exhibition record" I googled that and got some very weird results.

What constitutes an Exhibition?

Was it 14.1 or ?

No referee?

Did he commit any fouls? move any balls?

So many questions so few answers.
Just stop with the hackneyed double talk, it's all been done and its just tedious. Google those big words.

Last edited:

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Perhaps you should heed your own request. You seem to have fallen into your own trap with trite double talk.
Really? Please explain...in normal font if you don't mind. The red makes you seem unstable.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is there any information on how many times the balls were polished DURING Mosconi's run or how many times the balls were racked on the opposite end of the table?

Just asking.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
rude and snappy to questioners (chef about to get his smoke on) when you have no answer. I like colors to differentiate my interjection. i do mind it is just another of your pointless opinions

Yooo!

I played some pretty good pool this night, not my top speed. I’m using my cynergy shaft right now cuz it has a nicely broken in WB tip and my 314’s WB is almost non existent now. There really is no beating the 314 and I can’t wait to get the tip replaced...I don’t mess around with it myself, the guy with the lathe is just like...done son.

You should consider 314ing it in the future for maximum ball runnage and pool playage. The one and only downside is that you can’t really jump full cue with the thing but if you’re straight poolin you don’t need that anyway.

BUZZO80 I laughed and laughed reading that story. I could just imagine the shock and confusion, and finally anger, at the character doing this.

I played with a few guys who were ‘serious’ 8 ballers. They didn’t like to play straight pool as it was too easy, and no way to play safe. I was confused until one of them broke the balls like an 8 ball rack and just started firing them in :help:

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
rude and snappy to questioners when you have no answer. I like colors to differentiate my interjection. i do mind it is just another of your pointless opinions

Please pick any color but red. My eyes are burning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk