Chris Bartzos passes

albatross

cynical squared
Silver Member
New York metro-area billiards mainstay, Chris Bartzos, died on Friday, March 23. For nearly five decades he was one of the finest 3-cushion players in the country. He had a beautiful stroke, vast knowledge and great imagination. Chris played in countless big tournaments over the years and could compete with the best players. The entire Carom Cafe community is saddened by his passing.

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of the good guys of the game.
Chris Bartos.jpg

Pete1175

Registered
condolences

I was with great sadness that I read that Chris Bartzos has passed. I never met Chris in person but watched him over the years on the Carom Cafe webcam. He was an extremely good player. The days when he "was on" I think he could have given the best players in the world a run for their money. It was a hope of mine that I could play with him one day. Sadly that will not happen now.

The men of the Savannah Billiards I know feel the same loss. Respectfully, Pete Grosso

yesyura

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just arrived at Carom Cafe. Mr. Harry Green put up Chris’ photo on the wall. He said one of the player will contact Greek church in L I. Will post later on. Can’t let him go without doing anything. Any idea would be appreciated.

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
This is really sad! Chris was one of the good guys in NYC! He was a tough player to beat, He never gave up!

See you when I play my last shot!

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was with great sadness that I read that Chris Bartzos has passed. I never met Chris in person but watched him over the years on the Carom Cafe webcam. He was an extremely good player. The days when he "was on" I think he could have given the best players in the world a run for their money. It was a hope of mine that I could play with him one day. Sadly that will not happen now.

The men of the Savannah Billiards I know feel the same loss. Respectfully, Pete Grosso

Lost by 2 billiards against Eddie Leppens last year at the Verhoeven. 25-23
Lost by 1 billiard to Roland Forthomme 35-34 in 27 innings
Beat Pedro in the 2015 USBA Nationals 35-33

Yes, he could play!

albatross

cynical squared
Silver Member
Just found out last night that Chris’s father (deceased) had purchased a burial plot for him in Brooklyn (one of the five boroughs of NYC). No other information yet.

Bert van Manen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In addition to 3kushn's comment: Chris beat Blomdahl in the 1994 Elmhurst International tournament. TB, MZ, DJ and Sang Lee played to 60, the others in the A-final (Carlsen, Sayginer, Havermans and Bartzos) to 50.

nkvilliecues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chris was a wonder. He called about 10 days before he passed on to tell me he was on his last legs. We talked for well over an hour, just about old times, old memories and old friends. He was a one of a kind and much better player than most realized as well as a mentor to many. When I did hear of his passing I actually cried. We will be playing once again in the future and it will not be in heaven. Good by my old friend.

martzcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I met Crhis back in 1985 i it was Billiard tournament at Jimmy’s Catranos Place at Queens Blvd., Queens, NY he was playing a final s
Crhis it was losing 39 -20 and next two inniigs runs 11-and 9 to win. the tournament and crhis was a great champion Great gentleman air class act all the way s
I will miss you my friend goodbye

Last edited:

martzcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I met Crhis back in 1985 i it was Billiard tournament at Jimmy’s Catranos Place at Queens Blvd., Queens, NY he was playing a final s
Crhis it was losing 39 -20 and next two inniigs runs 11-and 9 to win. the tournament and crhis was a great champion Great gentleman air class act all the way s
I will miss you my friend goodbye

Last edited: