philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let's say you have a new custom cue being built in the traditional Balabushka style. The veneers will be black, orange, green, natural with mother of pearl inlays. I've always been a fan of the white with green speck linen wraps. Especially with that veneer color. I love the way the white with green wrap gets dirty over time and is a testament to the amount of hours spent playing with that cue.

What's your preference for a Bushka style cue? Smooth black leather or white with green speck linen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like the cue Dan Janes built for me a few months ago. I wanted white with green speck. He suggested an antiqued irish linen white with green speck. Came out great.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let's say you have a new custom cue being built in the traditional Balabushka style. The veneers will be black, orange, green, natural with mother of pearl inlays. I've always been a fan of the white with green speck linen wraps. Especially with that veneer color. I love the way the white with green wrap gets dirty over time and is a testament to the amount of hours spent playing with that cue.

What's your preference for a Bushka style cue? Smooth black leather or white with green speck linen?

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=467197

This may help you visualize things, this is my cue (some differences with your clearly but you can compare wraps), old black wrap was super smooth irish linen, looks like leather from a few feet away, new wrap is irish linen similar to what you like. Most people liked the new wrap.

runout1961

Ecclesiastes Ch. 12: 1-7
Silver Member
All valid points. I've had plenty of cues with different wraps including different textures wraps, elephant ear wraps, smooth black but always gravitated towards the linen. I like the smooth black just a little less but would absolutely be satisfied with it. Only reason I'm considering the smooth black over the linen is because I want this cue to look like a Bushka as much as possible and I know George used smooth black leather on his fancier cues or simply as an upgraded wrap option

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
If the maker does both exceptionally well you cant go wrong either way.

Have two made! One with each :idea:

DaveM

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I love the look of white with green speck linen, but prefer the feel of leather or wrapless. Here's one I picked up this year. It deserves more play.

Attachments

• Runde linen.jpg
    Runde linen.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 408
  • Rundefront2.jpg
    Rundefront2.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 399
Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love the look of white with green speck linen, but prefer the feel of leather or wrapless. Here's one I picked up this year. It deserves more play.

I'll be glad to help you make it feel better, I have a two day tournament this weekend if you can get it to me by then :thumbup:

I do have to say for my taste, it would be better without the green stripes. But they do make it look like a old style cue like a Palmer.

Newsheriffintwn

Newsheriff Custom Cues
Silver Member

Here's a cue I built a while ago, I had the same dilemma..I like both and really like the old school look. Maybe you will get a better idea from the pics, hope it helps. Both will look great with what you've described!

pJmaqWG.jpg

3PCuOIr.jpg

Qjunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have Pete make the decision on the wrap. IMO - no bushka ring at points = linen bushka ring at points = leather.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's a cue I built a while ago, I had the same dilemma..I like both and really like the old school look. Maybe you will get a better idea from the pics, hope it helps. Both will look great with what you've described!

pJmaqWG.jpg

3PCuOIr.jpg

With that design, the linen looks better with the fore arm and the leather looks better with the buttcap LOL

Since the colors between the two halves are so different it really makes a huge difference in your case.

Why did you go with such a big difference in design between the two sections? If someone showed that to me, I would have thought they grafted two cues together.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There Genuinely Isn't Any Choice But.............................Cortland Linen.

Balabushka and Cortland Linen #9 go together like a peanut butter & jelly sandwich.

Before settling on any white/green speck linen wrap, you should try to score CL #9.

It was George's favorite wrap and there is still some around but not for much longer.

Cortland Linen #9 is on three (3) of my customs & it's my all-time favorite cue wrap.

I actually have a Cortland Linen version that I've never seen before (brown speck).

My intention was to have another cue built but that's not an option any longer for me.

Matt B.

Attachments

• 6 Ivory Cues (4).jpg
    6 Ivory Cues (4).jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 316
  • Jerry's Best Work.jpg
    Jerry's Best Work.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 318
  • My Cue is Completed..jpg
    My Cue is Completed..jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 323
  • Cortland Linen (10 lb).jpg
    Cortland Linen (10 lb).jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 315
  • Cortland Linen (10 lb) Az pic.jpg
    Cortland Linen (10 lb) Az pic.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 325

runout1961

Ecclesiastes Ch. 12: 1-7
Silver Member
Wish I could get my hands on some original cortland. That would set the cue off perfectly

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I prefer linen for playing, I have sweaty hands. Recently got a textured leather wrap cue though and like that better than the smooth leather one I've had before. Smooth leather got to feeling too clammy for me. Probably not an issue with someone with dry hands however.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
This should tell you what I like. Good old white linen with light green specs. Several with Cortland. The winner spots the ones with Cortland. LOL. :grin:

Having said that, there are other options. Irving Crane's preference was leather with his Bushka. Ray Martin had Bushkas and Szambotis with a braided black nylon. Go with your instinct, but get the chance to hold what your coices are. Generally, leather is more tacky than linen.

All the best,
WW

Attachments

• 20121025_200849.jpg
    20121025_200849.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 116