When I shot with Mizerak . . .

dealerphil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It was back in 2000. The year I graduated high school.

I was sitting in science class and a fellow student started bragging about how is gonna be outta classes for the rest of the day because of some field trip down to the local pool hall.

I thought, "pool hall"? Here in NC they let you in at about any age and I had been frequently making rounds at all the places and starting to get a stroke.

He said, "Some Steve Mizerakey okey ak is gonna show us some trick shots or something and put on an exhibition."

I was like for real? "The Miz" is in town and he's gonna do what? And when do we leave? I was the only one that knew who he was.

He tells me, "Ahh only the gym class and math class gets to go."
Neither of which I was taking at the time.

Well I came down with a quick sickness and skipped the rest of my classes for the day and just kinda showed up at the pool hall.

Steve put on a heck of a trick shot exhibition and I stared in awe the whole time quietly from the back of the crowd. That's when he said, "Alright, who wants to shoot some?" My eyes lit up. And sure enough picked me out of the back of the crowd.

So he racked an eightball game up for me.

Kaboom. Made a couple on the snap. Work my way around the table and ran about five balls. By that time the crowd started chittering after every shot i made. On the fifth ball . . . Steve stopped me and said all loud, "Looks like we've got a shooter in laying in the bushes!" Then he pulled out a folded over brick of hundreds and laid them on the table.

I now know that it was about 10 to 15k. But at the time it was the most cash I had ever seen.

He then grinned and said, "Run 'em out."

I choked on the very next ball.

Well The Miz took over from there. Clink CLANK, POP, stop. Yeah he ran out with a big ole smile on his face and the crowd oooohhed and aahhhed.

The next day I got called into the principle's office at school and he asked how I was feeling and how I made it home. He then motioned over to the newspaper article laying on his desk.

Headline Read:
Local student gets schooled by The Miz.

I kept reading on and there was my name in the paper. I was caught.

And that's how Steve Mizerak got me a vacation from school for a week.

Thank You Steve.

gcgaryyoyo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I enjoyed the story, but I don't get why Mizerak bothered to show you how pressure affects your ability to play...