Corner pocket cameras... what happened to them?

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
People are discussing how to sanitize a table with UV light and that made me remember corner pocket cameras, but why did they stop using these on TV? They were novelty, but still kind of cool to have.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
People are discussing how to sanitize a table with UV light and that made me remember corner pocket cameras, but why did they stop using these on TV? They were novelty, but still kind of cool to have.

They didnt stop using them on TV.

They stopped TV.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you talking about the hand-held camera guys kneeling in the corner area? I know that the players hated them. Most broadcast/stream pool just uses overhead and side views.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you talking about the hand-held camera guys kneeling in the corner area? I know that the players hated them. Most broadcast/stream pool just uses overhead and side views.

They also used lipstick cameras for a while.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Wow was that how that worked? Damn I assumed the camera was in the pocket itself.

dnixon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wish they would use any kind of camera. I haven’t seen Pool on television in A while. I did see cornhole the other night. And advertising for tag I’m sorry ultimate tag what the hell

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member

No, I'm pretty sure the camera was in the pocket.

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
There are corner cameras in snooker broadcasts, and large cameras that cameramen roll around for good angles of players shots. It is a fact of life for snooker players that they MUST get used to the camera equipment being in the arena with them.

An article (with pictures :)) about snooker's behind-the-scenes folks including the cameramen:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/snooker/48096088

Dave

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are corner cameras in snooker broadcasts, and large cameras that cameramen roll around for good angles of players shots. It is a fact of life for snooker players that they MUST get used to the camera equipment being in the arena with them.

An article (with pictures :)) about snooker's behind-the-scenes folks including the cameramen:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/snooker/48096088

Dave

The odd thing is, I can watch a Whole tournament and maybe see a corner pocket angle once or twice. They might be in the main table but, even then, rarely used.

I like a couple corner shore as long as not overused.My favourite view is the direct overhead camera angle.

One issue in corner views may be time. Shots are 20 seconds apart. Not enough time to take the camera off the table and the next shot. Snooker fans tend to be knowledgeable and are viewing the layout.

Last edited:

Lucasi53

Registered
The original question is asking about the cameras (using a small lens) that was actually mounted inside the pocket at slate level. It showed the object ball rolling into/towards the pocket (coming right at you). A different view, but usually worthless in my opinion. You do not see the actual shot, cue ball action, angle, table layout, or continuing action following contact. Looking from the back of the pocket at slate level, the inside rails on each side of the corner pocket acted like blinders (used on horses) eliminating any view of any other action. The overhead view shows much better detail on most shots.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would find it distracting.

It was to the pros too. thats probably why they are gone, the camera people were sometimes idiots about how they moved around while the players were shooting an important shot , {usually the nine ball}

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
They are very handy to see if a ball passes another, that is when I have seen them used effectively.

Dave