Valley Rail Cushions
Old
  (#1)
mnsneakypete
AzB Silver Member
mnsneakypete has a reputation beyond reputemnsneakypete has a reputation beyond reputemnsneakypete has a reputation beyond reputemnsneakypete has a reputation beyond reputemnsneakypete has a reputation beyond reputemnsneakypete has a reputation beyond reputemnsneakypete has a reputation beyond reputemnsneakypete has a reputation beyond reputemnsneakypete has a reputation beyond reputemnsneakypete has a reputation beyond reputemnsneakypete has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Valley Rail Cushions - 02-04-2020, 06:16 PM

I recently purchased a 35+ year-old Valley Barbox for which I bought new Valley cushions from Seyberts. The table played well for a year, but over the last 2 months I've been getting ball acceleration off some of the rails. Now, if I hit a ball medium speed at a rail (not jumping the cueball), it hops off of the rebound. I tightened down the cushions which helped some of the rails, but I'm still getting a hop on 2 of them. Any ideas on how to remedy that? Thanks.

Old
  (#2)
trentfromtoledo
8onthebreaktoledo

trentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond repute

02-04-2020, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnsneakypete View Post
I recently purchased a 35+ year-old Valley Barbox for which I bought new Valley cushions from Seyberts. The table played well for a year, but over the last 2 months I've been getting ball acceleration off some of the rails. Now, if I hit a ball medium speed at a rail (not jumping the cueball), it hops off of the rebound. I tightened down the cushions which helped some of the rails, but I'm still getting a hop on 2 of them. Any ideas on how to remedy that? Thanks.

They are most likely to low and there is a lil play up and down when loosened. Raise them up a lil bit. Experiment. Just my $0.02. Good Luck!

TFT

Old
  (#3)
rjb1168
AzB Gold Member
rjb1168 has a reputation beyond reputerjb1168 has a reputation beyond reputerjb1168 has a reputation beyond reputerjb1168 has a reputation beyond reputerjb1168 has a reputation beyond reputerjb1168 has a reputation beyond reputerjb1168 has a reputation beyond reputerjb1168 has a reputation beyond reputerjb1168 has a reputation beyond reputerjb1168 has a reputation beyond reputerjb1168 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

02-04-2020, 06:33 PM

Loosen the rails and put a few quarters under them to set how high they are, then
torque to about 60 inch pounds. That should do it.

Old
  (#4)
RiverCity
AzB Silver Member
RiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond repute

02-04-2020, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Is the table in a garage or basement by chance?

Old
  (#5)
Lawnboy77
AzB Silver Member
Lawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond repute

02-04-2020, 08:51 PM

Sounds like dirty cloth at the cushion-to-ball contact point. The balls get cleaned regularly? I would use some Woolite and hot water and clean the cloth really good. Keep the balls clean with a good cleaner/polisher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old
  (#6)
Jimmorrison
AzB Silver Member
Jimmorrison has a reputation beyond reputeJimmorrison has a reputation beyond reputeJimmorrison has a reputation beyond reputeJimmorrison has a reputation beyond reputeJimmorrison has a reputation beyond reputeJimmorrison has a reputation beyond reputeJimmorrison has a reputation beyond reputeJimmorrison has a reputation beyond reputeJimmorrison has a reputation beyond reputeJimmorrison has a reputation beyond reputeJimmorrison has a reputation beyond repute

02-04-2020, 09:44 PM

They make a rail gauge, that will set correct nose height of cushion. Looks like a foam rubber building block, for small children. Mirror image of valley cushion profile. You set the base on the slate and slide it into cushion. With the rail bolts slightly loose, you can wiggle everything around, til it’s right.

Old
  (#7)
Jimmorrison
AzB Silver Member
Jimmorrison has a reputation beyond reputeJimmorrison has a reputation beyond reputeJimmorrison has a reputation beyond reputeJimmorrison has a reputation beyond reputeJimmorrison has a reputation beyond reputeJimmorrison has a reputation beyond reputeJimmorrison has a reputation beyond reputeJimmorrison has a reputation beyond reputeJimmorrison has a reputation beyond reputeJimmorrison has a reputation beyond reputeJimmorrison has a reputation beyond repute

02-04-2020, 09:44 PM

They make a rail gauge, that will set correct nose height of cushion. Looks like a foam rubber building block, for small children. Mirror image of valley cushion profile. You set the base on the slate and slide it into cushion. With the rail bolts slightly loose, you can wiggle everything around, til its right.

Old
  (#8)
mnsneakypete
AzB Silver Member
mnsneakypete has a reputation beyond reputemnsneakypete has a reputation beyond reputemnsneakypete has a reputation beyond reputemnsneakypete has a reputation beyond reputemnsneakypete has a reputation beyond reputemnsneakypete has a reputation beyond reputemnsneakypete has a reputation beyond reputemnsneakypete has a reputation beyond reputemnsneakypete has a reputation beyond reputemnsneakypete has a reputation beyond reputemnsneakypete has a reputation beyond repute

02-04-2020, 10:30 PM

Thanks for all the replies. You guys were spot on - I put a couple pennies under the rails and tightened them down. It plays a thousand times better. Now I don't have to wear a helmet when I need to send a ball into a rail with speed. I'll have to look into the rail gauge for future reference.

Also, it is a basement table but it gets a lot of dust. The balls were pretty dirty so I cleaned those and the cloth. I'm sure that was contributing to the problem. Like new!!

Old
  (#9)
RiverCity
AzB Silver Member
RiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond repute

02-04-2020, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies. You guys were spot on - I put a couple pennies under the rails and tightened them down. It plays a thousand times better. Now I don't have to wear a helmet when I need to send a ball into a rail with speed. I'll have to look into the rail gauge for future reference.

Also, it is a basement table but it gets a lot of dust. The balls were pretty dirty so I cleaned those and the cloth. I'm sure that was contributing to the problem. Like new!!
How humid/damp is it in your basement?

Old
  (#10)
mnsneakypete
AzB Silver Member

02-04-2020, 10:41 PM

Its pretty dry - we have low humidity in my area unless a storm is rolling through.

Old
  (#11)
tuffstuff07
AzB Silver Member
tuffstuff07 has a reputation beyond reputetuffstuff07 has a reputation beyond reputetuffstuff07 has a reputation beyond reputetuffstuff07 has a reputation beyond reputetuffstuff07 has a reputation beyond reputetuffstuff07 has a reputation beyond reputetuffstuff07 has a reputation beyond reputetuffstuff07 has a reputation beyond reputetuffstuff07 has a reputation beyond reputetuffstuff07 has a reputation beyond reputetuffstuff07 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

02-05-2020, 01:56 AM

Does anyone know what the height is supposed to be from the slate to the nose of the cushion?

I wouldn't mind checking mine

Old
  (#12)
cycopath
Call me Banger.
cycopath has a reputation beyond reputecycopath has a reputation beyond reputecycopath has a reputation beyond reputecycopath has a reputation beyond reputecycopath has a reputation beyond reputecycopath has a reputation beyond reputecycopath has a reputation beyond reputecycopath has a reputation beyond reputecycopath has a reputation beyond reputecycopath has a reputation beyond reputecycopath has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 400

02-05-2020, 05:14 AM

1-7/16

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Kill them, Machine. Kill them all..." - Dino Velvet

Name: Brian
Playing Cue: Larry Miller w/OB Classic
Break Cue: Mace
Table: Piano finish Gold Crown IV (bought from Hemicudas. RIP $Bill)
Profession: Pawnbroker
Hours of play: 2-4 hours weekly
Conceal carry: Ruger LC9

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: