Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Willie Hoppe cue and “Expert Leather Cue Case”
Page 3 of 4 123 4

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#31)
Biloxi Boy
Man With A Golden Arm
Biloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

05-23-2020, 11:47 PM

Excuse my ignorance, but are AESCO and AE Schmidt the same outfit?
The '57 AESCO page above does not show or describe a nameplate.
I checked the '50 to '54 Brunswick catalogs and the description changed to "metal nameplate".
As I recall, the Hustler cases had larger, partially curved, nameplates.

"It's all in the wrist, with a deck or a cue"
Epitaph of Frankie Machine

"Yet once you've come to be part of this particular patch, you'll never love another.
Like loving a woman with a broken nose, you may well find lovelier lovelies.
But never a lovely so real."
Nelson Algren, Chicago: City on the Make

Old
  (#32)
Biloxi Boy
Man With A Golden Arm
Biloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond repute

05-24-2020, 12:08 AM

Also, the AESCO catalog says "2 butts 3 shafts" which I found odd. So I conducted an experiment: I put the WHPro butt and a Schoen butt in my case. I might, with a hammer, be able to add 1 shaft to the 2 butts, but, if 3 shafts were added, it would leave some marks.

"Yet once you've come to be part of this particular patch, you'll never love another.

Old
  (#33)
classiccues
Enlightened.....
classiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

05-24-2020, 12:34 AM

Here is a much larger version of the case. I would almost certainly say was made by the same manufacturer. It belonged to Willie Mosconi.

JV
Attached Images

www.classiccues.com
Large Cue listing and cases are coming

Updated 6/29/2020 more to come... all NEW

Sales to be updated soon - by 4/10

Premium Custom Cues for Sale and Vintage Billiard and Pool Exchange on Facebook....

Old
  (#34)
mikemosconi
AzB Silver Member
mikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond repute

05-24-2020, 07:56 AM

Just curious, years ago I was told that someone in Ct.- Danbury- owned either Gleason's or Newman's cue from the original Hustler Movie- anyone know the facts on where those cues ended up- and what about Newman's cue case- where is it now?

I think the guy who gave me this info was ED O'Connor, who owned Time after time Billiard Retail in Danbury Ct. Ed had his original Bushka Gambler cue delivered to him by George in person in a paper bag at a New Rochelle NY pool hall in the 60's and a nice Palmer Model M with the decorative shafts that he showed me and my sons that day.

Old
  (#35)
Biloxi Boy
Man With A Golden Arm

05-24-2020, 10:30 AM

This case is "damn near" the Brunswick and Schmidt tooled case:

https://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...n_id=101090957

Note that the gun case opens on both ends.
Thank god for the internet and search engines, Back into the murk.

Old
  (#36)
Biloxi Boy
Man With A Golden Arm

05-24-2020, 12:02 PM

More grist for the mill:

This gun case, in the inventory of a West Point Mississippi gun dealer, appears to be in the same family.

https://stevebarnettfineguns.com/gun...led-rifle-case

I have written Steve Barnett to detremine if he can help identify the manufacturer.
Hopefully he has spent some time at Southern Billiards in Starkville.

Old
  (#37)
Biloxi Boy
Man With A Golden Arm

05-24-2020, 12:34 PM

The Hustler is airing "tonight": 5/25/2020 @ 2:40 a.m. (CDT) on FXHD (DIRECTV 258).
Set your recorders.

Old
  (#38)
ideologist
I don't never exaggerate
ideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond repute

05-24-2020, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biloxi Boy View Post
This case is "damn near" the Brunswick and Schmidt tooled case:

https://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...n_id=101090957

Note that the gun case opens on both ends.
Thank god for the internet and search engines, Back into the murk.
You're seeing that a style of tooling was very common for many years.

Abercrombie and Fitch made over-under cases for Red Head for many years, in Manhattan. Who knows who else they produced for, they had a huge leathercraft department

Snowflakes in Hawaii meltdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavafongoul View Post
This may sound smug on my part

Old
  (#39)
Biloxi Boy
Man With A Golden Arm

05-24-2020, 12:59 PM

Just looking for evidence, particularly photographs, which might tend to prove or disprove that the case I possess was distributed by Brunswick.

Old
  (#40)
classiccues
Enlightened.....
classiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

05-25-2020, 09:49 AM

The Brunswick description is the same.. 2 butts, 3 shafts in the 1950's catalogs. So it really leads me to believe that it is from the same company.

JV

Quote:
Also, the AESCO catalog says "2 butts 3 shafts" which I found odd. So I conducted an experiment: I put the WHPro butt and a Schoen butt in my case. I might, with a hammer, be able to add 1 shaft to the 2 butts, but, if 3 shafts were added, it would leave some marks.

www.classiccues.com
Large Cue listing and cases are coming

Updated 6/29/2020 more to come... all NEW

Sales to be updated soon - by 4/10

Premium Custom Cues for Sale and Vintage Billiard and Pool Exchange on Facebook....

Old
  (#41)
Biloxi Boy
Man With A Golden Arm

05-25-2020, 11:55 AM

I reviewed the catalogs and you are correct. Still, the 1949 catalog contains nothing about capacity. The mouth of my case is 2 ¾" x 1 ¾". What are the dimensions of butts and shafts from the 1950s? There are no dividers, or evidence of such. I took a photo showing a WHPro butt, a Joss butt, and a joint protector in the mouth of the case (the protector is sitting on butts and is not inside the case). AZ's site will not upload the photo. I will try later. My bottom line is I have the case in hand and I do not want to put 2 butts of my butts and 3 of my shafts anywhere near inside this case.

Last edited by Biloxi Boy; 05-25-2020 at 11:57 AM. Reason: typo

Old
  (#42)
ideologist
I don't never exaggerate
ideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond repute

05-25-2020, 12:03 PM

Quote:
I reviewed the catalogs and you are correct. Still, the 1949 catalog contains nothing about capacity. The mouth of my case is 2 ¾" x 1 ¾". What are the dimensions of butts and shafts from the 1950s? There are no dividers, or evidence of such. I took a photo showing a WHPro butt, a Joss butt, and a joint protector in the mouth of the case (the protector is sitting on butts and is not inside the case). AZ's site will not upload the photo. I will try later. My bottom line is I have the case in hand and I do not want to put 2 butts of my butts and 3 of my shafts anywhere near inside this case.

You may have an easier time building a time machine and traveling to the 1940s and 1950s to find out who manufactured these. I'm sure the shops are gone and Brunswick is certainly spotty with their document retention. Understandable, the business changed hands a few times and the Industrial Revolution has moved on.

Snowflakes in Hawaii meltdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavafongoul View Post
This may sound smug on my part

Old
  (#43)
Biloxi Boy
Man With A Golden Arm

05-25-2020, 12:19 PM

I agree. The answer is probably not in the pool world unless AESCO or Schmidt can supply the anwer. I have emailed several gun concerns to see if they can help. The similarities in the tooling is compelling.

Old
  (#44)
Biloxi Boy
Man With A Golden Arm

05-25-2020, 10:44 PM

This is only photo AZ would accept. My case is not a 2/3.
Attached Images

Old
  (#45)
TATE
AzB Gold Mensch
TATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

05-25-2020, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Just looking for evidence, particularly photographs, which might tend to prove or disprove that the case I possess was distributed by Brunswick.
I don't think it's a Brunswick case but it's obviously very similar. The Brunswick's I've seen have a different lid neck area design.

Those pictures you see of 'The Hustler" case are not stills - they are frozen scenes straight from he movie somebody captured. I think your case is better than the Brunswick's - it looks pretty nice to me.

Visit my historic cues site:
www.palmercollector.com

Last edited by TATE; 05-25-2020 at 11:23 PM.

Page 3 of 4 123 4

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: