Shuff clearly not ready

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Shuff not ready?

Guess Shane's not ready either. When he left Hatch jacked up in match four three balls form the finish line, it handed a new life to Europe. Dennis Hatch got up and missed it by a mile, giving Europe the rack and the double hill break. Maybe Dennis isn't ready. Yes, Ekonomopolis scratched on the next break handing the match back to the US, but both Shane and Dennis made major errors that would have cost them the match on most occasions.

Brandon wasn't at his best, but he's ready.

This is a very unique kind of pressure, and I believe it's amplified five times by the fantastic enthusiasm and loud noise of the crowd.

Everyone will be a day wiser on Tuesday, and I look for all ten players to look more comfortable out there when play resumes.

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
The bottom line is if those other guys are the mac, why didn't they qualify and get Shuff's spot? I've watching Shuff play a number of times and the guy plays fuggin' really good. Good enough to beat anyone in any given race, regardless of their size, race, creed or origin. Not kissing his ass, I'm just saying you guys are way outta line saying he's an empty chair.

So he played bad a few matches--- it's his first time on the Mosconi Cup and they lights are making him play a little funny. I think 100% of the posters in this thread wouldn't make the team let alone have an opportunity to dog it.

Everyone who knocked this guy in this thread would prob get spotted the world by Shuff -- it's insane.
I am with you on this. He plays very well and is only going to improve. Brandon is super nice and a good guy in pool so I have to say he is deserving to represent the US, I think he will win more then he loses by far. I heard Shanes win record in the Mosconi Cup is like 45% or something so it means he loses more than he wins obviously. Earl had a winning record playing Mosconi, I would be interested in seeing the best winning percentages and losing percentages for this event for all that have played. Luke Riches where are you? :smile:

TRWpool

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I know Brandon pretty well. He came here to South Florida last year and stayed at my place for a few days. He hooked up a One Pocket game with Rob Melrose, five ahead for $xxxx.00 and was struggling for the first several games and got down by two. He stepped over to me and asked me what was wrong. I told him he was playing Rob's game not his own. Brandon is a shooter. He needs to play loose and fire away. That is his best game. When Brandon tries to play conservatively he tightens up and his game drops off a little.

He agreed with me instantly and went back to the table running off seven straight games for the cash playing fast and loose but not reckless. I'm not tooting my own horn here. I just know Brandon. He hasn't really developed that all round game where he can maintain high offense when his mind has been working defensively. I think he simply needs to not worry so much about being on a team when he's playing a singles match. I have faith in Brandon. He will do fine as long as he plays HIS game.
Tom

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
Ok, the OP is on drugs. I just watched Brandon and Johnny win 5-4 in their doubles match. Shuff gutted out a very good effort. Don't know what this guy is smoking...

markgw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
During the interview with JH, Brandon said that he was used to the pressure but not the crowd.

He both looked and sounded confident in his ability. Remember that Mike D wasn't all that confident last year.

In other words, he wasn't freaked out. I think you'll see quite an improvement and change on day two.

Lets wait and see.

I thought Shuff handled the pressure better than Mike D. Mike seemed nervous. He was jumping straight up in the air on relatively routine shots. I am hopeful he settles down tomorrow. I'm happy we have the lead. Maybe CJ and the rest of the team can get Mike to chill tomorrow...

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
guys-

everyone struggled- watch all again- and then tell me one name, who didn t struggle on the first day?....................................

everyone!

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
guys-

everyone struggled- watch all again- and then tell me one name, who didn t struggle on the first day?....................................

everyone!
Exactly. I think the Americans will only improve as they get used to the conditions. And maybe jet lag -- it took me 14 hours of sleep to adjust but I started 8 hours away.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
I watched the match and archer left brandon funny on the shot he missed. The kick shot the horn sounded and he hit it too hard, shorting the angle.

The singles match was a bad coaches call. Brandon would toast melling, ecropolous, and nick van den berg.

Putting him up against neils or Darren was just a bad call by the coach. He hit one kick made it and scratched. Lost but not due to poor play!

Kd

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

HelloBaby-

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched the match and archer left brandon funny on the shot he missed. The kick shot the horn sounded and he hit it too hard, shorting the angle.

The singles match was a bad coaches call. Brandon would toast melling, ecropolous, and nick van den berg.

Putting him up against neils or Darren was just a bad call by the coach. He hit one kick made it and scratched. Lost but not due to poor play!

Kd

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Are you serious man ?
Melling and Nick Van Den Berg are far more experience, they are all big-tounament multiple winners, nothing against Shuff but what achievenment did he get ?. I don't want to mention skill as I don't know much about Shuff but I'm pretty sure he can't play even with both of these guy in a longer race, race to 5 btw give chance to anybody to win.

It's a good call from CJ because it gives more chance to win others single matchs as Daz is most likely favorite in all single match-up.

Let's calculate the odd:

SVB vs Daz : 45 - 55
Shuff vs Van den Berg : 40 - 60

How about :
SVB vs Van den Berg : 60 - 40
Shuff vs Daz : 30 - 70

It's a very common strategy in team game, let's see if it works out.

billbOK

Slow day
Silver Member
The singles match was a bad coaches call.

To be neutral the order of play is blind. The coaches don't know the list of each others. All they can do is anticipate the other choices

Brandon would toast melling, ecropolous, and nick van den berg.

Brandon Shuff can beat those players, ok. But he is not favorite in any of these matches.

Van den Berg and Melling, there is no argument...

You don't know Ekonomopoulos across the pond, but he is an experienced player, in gambling and tournament play. He has an Eurotour stop win at his active and many European championships medals (junior and elite).

HelloBaby-

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We are at York Hall, England man, of course Daz is favorite, not much but favorite anyway. I'm pretty sure that who are watching mosconi cup over these last years will understand the condition and agree with me.

Race to 5 to short for pros to shine

I really am not much of a fan of these short races. To much can happen racing to 5 to show a players real talent and heart to come back from a deficit. I do understand the time constraints being on tv though. Perhaps this should be a longer event to extend the race to 9. I know won't happen but a guy can dream.

billbOK

Slow day
Silver Member
Daz a favorite over svb? Really? I mean are you actually serious?

9 ball on the spot, 3 ball pass the head string, alternate break and York Hall : DA is favorite. 10 ball, winner breaks : SVB would be slight favorite

MOJOE

Work Hard, Be Humble. jbk
Silver Member
Go Shuff! Sure enough..

I could not agree more SJM.

Just because Shuff is human and he may have showed a little nerves, the man is ready. He's a fantastic player and he earned his right to represent USA.

Give the guy a break and how about we support him rather than tear him down. He may read these forums while he'e there. I see no need to tear him down when he's in the heat of the battle playing for USA.

I say go Brandon, many of us have faith in you and wish you nothing but the best. Your A game is good enough to beat anyone, you've proven that!

Shuff not ready?

Guess Shane's not ready either. When he left Hatch jacked up in match four three balls form the finish line, it handed a new life to Europe. Dennis Hatch got up and missed it by a mile, giving Europe the rack and the double hill break. Maybe Dennis isn't ready. Yes, Ekonomopolis scratched on the next break handing the match back to the US, but both Shane and Dennis made major errors that would have cost them the match on most occasions.

Brandon wasn't at his best, but he's ready.

This is a very unique kind of pressure, and I believe it's amplified five times by the fantastic enthusiasm and loud noise of the crowd.

Everyone will be a day wiser on Tuesday, and I look for all ten players to look more comfortable out there when play resumes.

HelloBaby-

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok that may have been excessive but shane probably wins on the break alone. I have only warched daz play ten ball a few times but i thought his break was a little weak.

Don't want to get out of the main subjet but Daz is 10-ball world champ :smile:.

I would love to see a TAR match between SVB and Daz.

And yes, like you say SVB is huge favorite, give the correct odd and I will take it :smile: ( and I'm pretty sure there are 10000 guys will jump in for it too ).
Don't forget you said "huge" favorite :wink:

Btw, I wish all the best for Shuff and Nikos :)

HelloBaby-

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never said Daz is huge favorite, I said "slight favorite". If you say something, assume it. Or you consider 45-55 means huge favorite lol.