Hey fatboy!!!! Any pictures of ur billiard room n Vegas?

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
Bad comparison, IMO. How much money you make is not directly tied to whether you provided a fair deal to the consumer. If someone makes a ton and at the same time is doing legitimate business, more power to them.
Eric has always come across as a very friendly guy and appears to be a nice guy, however it seems his business was a bit on the shady side, to put it nicely, JMO. He also was very proud of how good he was in the 'boilerroom' businesses that he made his first big money on. Calling people on the phone (can't remember if it was cold calls) and getting them to buy something that was usually a con in some way. I'm pretty sure he admitted as much....yeah, he did put hiz biz on da street. One could say he is not that different than Kevin Trudeau in his business tactics.

You can pick apart ANY business --- name one and I'll do it in detail.

Guess how much the CEO of the Red Cross makes --

Guess how much a car really costs to produce and when you go to buy one, the salesman is trying to sell you more of what you don't need, won't talk about the price of the car and only wants to talk about what you want your monthly payment to be, and then his buddy tries to sell you a warranty that has a 400% mark up and barely worth the paper it is written on.

I have friends on here that have posted they don't care for Eric. I'm ok with that. I probably don't like all of their friends either. It is what it is. But to me, Eric has been a true friend. And he could be broke tomorrow and he would still be my friend. Oh and if I go get something to eat with him, I don't do so expecting him to pick up the tab because he obviously has more money than me.

And on the YouTube video with Bucktooth -- he had his body guard there with him. I doubt anyone was gonna try to mug him. Before people type, they should try to know a little bit about what they are talking about.

punter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Haha
Similar story. Eric invites me and my family out to dinner in Vegas. 6 people at Wolfgang Puck's place. Check comes and he's stuck in cement. So I said, screw it, and paid. I was VERY SURPRISED with how that turned out.

Sounds like a case of deep pockets and short arms. The chickens are coming home to roost.

punter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Guess how much a car really costs to produce and when you go to buy one, the salesman is trying to sell you more of what you don't need, won't talk about the price of the car and only wants to talk about what you want your monthly payment to be, and then his buddy tries to sell you a warranty that has a 400% mark up and barely worth the paper it is written on.

I have friends on here that have posted they don't care for Eric. I'm ok with that. I probably don't like all of their friends either. It is what it is. But to me, Eric has been a true friend. And he could be broke tomorrow and he would still be my friend. Oh and if I go get something to eat with him, I don't do so expecting him to pick up the tab because he obviously has more money than me.

And on the YouTube video with Bucktooth -- he had his body guard there with him. I doubt anyone was gonna try to mug him. Before people type, they should try to know a little bit about what they are talking about.

You might be able to point out something you don't like about any business I could name, but there is a line between making profits from a product and conning people with the type of credit business he ran, I think several above posts speak to that point, especially Hu's where he talks about the offer he received soon after filing for workman's comp. I have no personal reason to dislike Eric, especially since I've never met him and only exchanged a PM or 2. He has been friendly, but his business history is, at least partially, public record.

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
Just like if you read any review on the internet on anything-- only those that have something negative to say usually take the time to post. So yes, a lot of Eric's past is out there for all to read. He also gave, I think it was, 400 people a job. And in the end, he met all the FTC or whatever organization that investigated him requirements as they came to his office each month to look through everything he was doing.

He only shut down because our wonderful governments and the leaders in it ruined our economy to a point that a lot of businesses failed. He got out before that happened.

I am not saying that Eric's business was perfect in any way, but like others have said, people all have the free will to make a decision. I had a credit card when I was a lot younger, didn't read the fine print and after a few late payments the interest rate jumped to 28%. Legalized loan sharking is what it was. You couldn't pay enough to keep up with the interest. I called and mother f'ed them to no end but it was really all my own fault for not paying attention and also for running up the bill.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Matt, Hate is a pretty strong word, one that quite often makes me wince a bit when freely used on AZ to denote someone who happens to be no more guilty than having s strong or different opinion on any given subject.

There are people that I stop, give a strong hand shake to, sometimes even a hug and spend some time catching up with them.

There are others that I will smile and say Hello and continue walking.

Eric would fall into the later.

and if I go get something to eat with him, I don't do so expecting him to pick up the tab because he obviously has more money than me.

Which is cool, but if you invite someone, and or their family out for supper, then you're acting as the Host. I know this isn't the case but when an Exec is wooing a client, they don't invite them out for golf or dinner and expect them to pay. Thats why they have expense accounts. Like I said, I know that isn't the case with Eric and just because he has money, he shouldn't be expected to foot the bill all the time. However, when someone is visiting from out of town, they are the guests and when invited out, it is not overly assuming to think they will be treated to dinner.

That said, if you invite someone over for a bar b cue or dinner, you don't expect them to bring the groceries, just the Wine, and BYOB. Thats why I said and know for a fact that it can be a rather unhappy existence at times for Eric because he does have many False Friends and Hangers On that are only too happy to come up with business ideas, as long as Eric is the only one investing. He told me that and I believe him on that part 100%

Before people type, they should try to know a little bit about what they are talking about.

People make mistakes occasionally posting on AZ. I believe that we have all done it a few times.

When a poster consistently talks about themselves all the time, how much money they have, openly talks about their Biz deals, then turns around and talks down to people because they don't have a fat bank account, then there is your lasting impression of a AZ member.

If you're lacking attention that bad in real life that you have to resort to a message board in order for that to happen, then it can speak volumes on how much one thinks of themselves.

Which brings me to another saying.

When you make your own bed, you have to sleep in it. That is until you decide to wash the sheets and make it anew again.

You know, change things.

Last edited:

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
That video pretty much tells you what kind of person fatboy is and attests to his intelligence that he would be carrying, and flashing, that kind of cash around. He should just wear a sign "I'm carrying lots of money, I'm a moron, please mug me."

Yes! Also, he wouldn't have flipped for it. He just wanted to talk about it. I also wouldn't flip for it, but I'm not going to pretend like I would. I also find it funny he's reading all of this and doesn't respond, but sure loves the attention. If only we could rep him as we discuss his wealth.

Lol. I'm not pleading poverty. It was more than just about the check. I was invited out. To his spot. A place where the staff knew him by name. They handed him the check, which he promptly put down on the table and never moved to pick it up. It was humiliating to be invited out to dinner, with my family and for my wife to have to see me pick up the check. I like Eric. But that was a very classless move on his part. When I invite someone out, I'd be mortified if they paid the tab.

Houstoer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for posting; made my day a litter brighter. Time to add more Jim Croce to the IPOD. Cool !

I looked up the lyrics to this song, and until now, didn't realize just how pool related it was. Now... who's "a Jim" and who's "a Slim"?

"Uptown got it's hustlers
The bowery got it's bums
42nd street got big jim walker
He's a pool-shootin' son of a gun
Yeah, he big and dumb as a man can come
But he stronger than a country hoss
And when the bad folks all get together at night
You know they all call big jim "boss", just because
And they say

You don't tug on superman's cape
You don't spit into the wind
You don't pull the mask off that old lone ranger
And you don't mess around with Jim

Well outta south Alabama came a country boy
He say I'm lookin' for a man named Jim
I am a pool-shootin' boy
My name Willie McCoy
But down home they call me slim
Yeah I'm lookin' for the king of 42nd street
He drivin' a drop top cadillac
Last week he took all my money
And it may sound funny
But I come to get my money back
And everybody say jack don't you know

And you don't tug on superman's cape
And you don't mess around with jim

Well a hush fell over the pool room
Jimmy come boppin' in off the street
And when the cuttin' were done
The only part that wasn't bloody
Was the soles of the big man's feet
Yeah he were cut in in bout a hundred places
And he were shot in a couple more
And you better believe
They sung a different kind of story
When big Jim hit the floor now they say

You don't tug on superman's cape
And you don't mess around with slim

Yeah, big Jim got his hat
Find out where it's at
And it's not hustlin' people strange to you
Even if you do got a two-piece custom-made pool cue

Yeah you don't tug on superman's cape
You don't pull the mask off the old lone ranger
And you don't mess around with slim"

Songwriters: Croce, James

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
Lol. I'm not pleading poverty. It was more than just about the check. I was invited out. To his spot. A place where the staff knew him by name. They handed him the check, which he promptly put down on the table and never moved to pick it up. It was humiliating to be invited out to dinner, with my family and for my wife to have to see me pick up the check. I like Eric. But that was a very classless move on his part. When I invite someone out, I'd be mortified if they paid the tab.

Hey Cleary - when I asked you and Mikey to go to dinner in NY last February, I hope you don't think I am classless because I didn't get the bill.

Ktown D

Neverwuzzz
Silver Member
I don't know whether Eric actually cares whether or not people like him. I know he states he doesn't but I don't believe that to be the case. I think he gets tired of being labeled a thief and likened to the devil because he operated a business that made a lot of money. I understand the concept of the business and why he receives criticism but I think a lot of the hatred comes from old fashioned envy.

It is easy to take a moral stand from the sidelines, people do it everyday, but many of the stone throwers here would run as fast as they could to do the same thing if they thought the rewards would be there.

I personally do not care how much money someone has, I have friends and acquaintances from the outhouse to the penthouse. I care how someone treats me personally, not your cousin or your friend's sister, me. He may have offended some of you or rubbed you the wrong way but he has never been anything but nice to me. If that changes I will sing a different tune but I consider Eric a friend even if I haven't spoken to him in a few months. I guess we have a mutual understanding, I don't want his money and he isn't giving me any lol.

Continue on with the bashing, it will clear the soul and make you sleep better. Just be careful not to fall off that high horse, you could land in a pile of shit.

thewhiffer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The shacks that the Brunei bucks buy outside of Brunei are tiny compared to their real home. :grin:

http://www.furrer.it/uk/furrers-projects/royal-palace-of-brunei.asp

Googled brunei sultan residence

https://www.google.ca/search?q=brun...gOoGfyATz_IHwAQ&ved=0CC4QsAQ&biw=1024&bih=489

The Istana Nurul Iman palace is the official residence of the Sultan of Brunei, Hassanal Bolkiah, and the seat of the Brunei government. The palace is located on a leafy, riverside sprawl of hills on the banks of the Brunei River, a few miles south of Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei's capital. The name "Istana Nurul Iman" is taken from Arabic and means Palace of the Light of Faith. It was designed by Filipino architect Leandro V. Locsin, who utilized the architectural motif of golden domes and vaulted roofs to echo Brunei's Islamic and Malay influences. The interior of the palace was designed by Khuan Chew, Design Principal of KCA International, whose other works include the Burj Al Arab in Dubai. Construction was handled by Ayala International, a Filipino construction firm, and completed in 1984 at a total cost of around $400 million USD.
The banquet hall, which can seat up to 5,000 people
Upon completion, Istana Nurul Iman, became the largest residential palace in the world and the largest single family residence ever built.
The palace contains 1,788 rooms, which includes 257 bathrooms, a banquet hall that can be expanded to accommodate up to 5,000 guests, a mosque accommodating 1,500 people. The palace also includes a 110-car garage an air conditioned stable for the Sultan's 200 polo ponies, and 5 swimming pools. In total, Istana Nurul Iman contains 2,152,782 square feet (200,000 m²) of floorspace.
Because of its massive size, Istana Nurul Iman makes use of 564 chandeliers, 51,000 light bulbs, 44 stairwells, and 18 elevators.

And he is a mentor to Al Gore on global warming.

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
Hey Cleary - when I asked you and Mikey to go to dinner in NY last February, I hope you don't think I am classless because I didn't get the bill.

No, not at all. And I certainly didn't think Eric should have paid for me when he interrupted our dinner. I just found it funny he didn't help with the tip.

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
No, not at all. And I certainly didn't think Eric should have paid for me when he interrupted our dinner. I just found it funny he didn't help with the tip.

Yes if he ate, he should have paid his part of the tip.

And we will go to N9NE in Vega$ -- the waiter will know me -- and you still have to pay for your own god damn meal. :D

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
Yes if he ate, he should have paid his part of the tip.

And we will go to N9NE in Vega$ -- the waiter will know me -- and you still have to pay for your own god damn meal. :D

HAHAHA mmmmmm N9NE sounds delicious!

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know whether Eric actually cares whether or not people like him. I know he states he doesn't but I don't believe that to be the case. I think he gets tired of being labeled a thief and likened to the devil because he operated a business that made a lot of money. I understand the concept of the business and why he receives criticism but I think a lot of the hatred comes from old fashioned envy.

It is easy to take a moral stand from the sidelines, people do it everyday, but many of the stone throwers here would run as fast as they could to do the same thing if they thought the rewards would be there.

I personally do not care how much money someone has, I have friends and acquaintances from the outhouse to the penthouse. I care how someone treats me personally, not your cousin or your friend's sister, me. He may have offended some of you or rubbed you the wrong way but he has never been anything but nice to me. If that changes I will sing a different tune but I consider Eric a friend even if I haven't spoken to him in a few months. I guess we have a mutual understanding, I don't want his money and he isn't giving me any lol.

Continue on with the bashing, it will clear the soul and make you sleep better. Just be careful not to fall off that high horse, you could land in a pile of shit.

Well said Sir. Funny to hear people bash others on a pool forum where hustling, gambling and getting one over on the next fish is common practice. Makes me laugh!

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Must be Dump on Fatboy Day! This is all old news, who Fatboy is and what he did for a living. I actually did some business with Eric, buying out 8-10 poolrooms and storing all the tables on his property (in the stables) until I could find buyers for them. He trusted me on all the deals and put in his share of the cash as needed. We had a few bumps along the way, as can happen in any partnership, but in the end we both made a few bucks.

On many levels I always enjoyed Eric's company and his past never entered into our relationship, as it shouldn't! He is a huge sports fan and I can remember laying on his enormous bed sweating Wimbleton tennis matches with him. His back was so bad he couldn't get out of bed. I guess that's his karma. It's true I was impressed with his cue collections and cool cars, but not so much that I wanted anything from him. I never asked to drive one of his cars. Why do I want to drive a very expensive car that is a bit foreign to me and take that chance?? By the way, I've driven everything from hot motorcycles to large trucks and 40' buses in the Army, so I can drive just about anything.

I've been around BIG money all my life, and have family members that could buy and sell someone like Eric a few times over. So being wealthy does not impress me. The quality of a person's character impresses me much more. My second cousin is Allan Horn, former President of Warner Bros. and now President of Disney Pictures. He and David Geffen are the largest philanthropic contributors in the entertainment business, giving away tens of millions each year to good causes. Allan is one of the most respected men in Hollywood for good reason. Even though I rarely see him (he did read Pool Wars though :wink:), I'm proud to be related to such a MAN and a MENSCH as well.

Eric is Eric, and with him what you see is what you get. He ain't perfect (who is?) and he made some mistakes (who hasn't) and he's paid the price. But for so many people to come on here now and needlessly rehash all this purely to dump on him is not in good taste, to say the least. I wasn't always thrilled with him either, but am I going to air our dirty laundry on here, NO WAY!

Last edited:

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
Hold on a second. Did he talk about Zsa Zsa and the Prince? If he didn't, then you didn't get the full Eric experience.

I was eating dinner a few years back at the steakhouse @ the Riviera in Las Vegas with Chris Bartram and Derek Disco. In walks fatboy, he pulls up a chair as if he were invited.. ok, whatever. I don't know him but i'll give the guy a shot.

Two hours go by and it was hard to get a word in as Eric hasn't stopped talking about himself as well as trying to make a game with Bartram. Chris was quick to agree to the game Eric asked for, knowing full well that it would never happen anyway (it didn't). Non stop talking about himself, his money, his cues... it just didn't stop. The bill comes and Eric (the wealthiest human ever apparently) leaves cash for his share, almost to the penny without a tip. I took care of it without saying a word. LOL

Sorry Jaden, I've met Eric and I gotta say, I disagree with you on that point.