Red Circle Cue Balls

lstevedus

One of the 47%
Silver Member
There are 2 red circle cue balls for sale on Seyberts. One is a lot less money then the other. The expensive one is sold as being Aramith. How can you tell the difference? They look the same to me. Just wondering.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
if you look close the circle is different
also i have seen red circles that were a slightly different color white compared to the aramith
last if its for your table or to carry with you to the pool hall buy the aramith
jmho

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
There are 2 red circle cue balls for sale on Seyberts. One is a lot less money then the other. The expensive one is sold as being Aramith. How can you tell the difference? They look the same to me. Just wondering.

Luminescence & Translucency.

The Aramith red circle cueball is made from a specific carom resin from Saluc (a Simonis company now) that has some level of translucency. A certain percentage of light can transmit through this resin. In my industry, we call it "light transmissivity." The Diamond company uses this material attribute in their SmartTable cueball return mechanism.

One easy way to spot it (pardon the pun) is to check the red circle itself. You should be able to see the red underneath the surface, like a tattoo bleed out/blowout.

Freddie <~~~ scienmorphically speaking

lstevedus

One of the 47%
Silver Member

The Aramith red circle cueball is made from a specific carom resin from Saluc (a Simonis company now) that has some level of translucency. A certain percentage of light can transmit through this resin. In my industry, we call it "light transmissivity." The Diamond company uses this material attribute in their SmartTable cueball return mechanism.

One easy way to spot it (pardon the pun) is to check the red circle itself. You should be able to see the red underneath the surface, like a tattoo bleed out/blowout.

Thank you. This is the info that I was looking for! A friend and I both have red circle q balls from the same place that look different. We both got them from the same place, but a long time apart. His is darker and weighs a quarter oz more according to my scale @ 5.92.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

great post freddie
i learned something today ...thank you....:thumbup:

Ktown D

Neverwuzzz
Silver Member

i know you know what you are talking about but I couldn't help thinking of that Al Sharpton skit from SNL with all those 5 dollar words you were tossing around :)

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
i know you know what you are talking about but I couldn't help thinking of that Al Sharpton skit from SNL with all those 5 dollar words you were tossing around :)

I get dumber every day. I need to dip into the smart jar once in a while to keep my wits about me.

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member

Cool ... green for that. I see the logo has the same thing, but I really can't see it on the red DOT.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Translucent vs. not so translucent. Believe the difference...

All the best,
WW

Attachments

• 20131013_205339.jpg
    20131013_205339.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 775

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Ok but what about cyclops balls which are used on the diamonds at the Xbo

fiftyyardline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok but what about cyclops balls which are used on the diamonds at the Xbo

The Cyclops Cue Ball has the similar attribute in regards to light transmissivity. A Diamond table rep showed me this by holding a flashlight up to one side of a Cyclop cue ball in the darker setting under the pool table - the entire ball glowed brightly.
Also - in regards to the difference between a genuine Aramith red circle cue ball and the much cheaper lookalike: the lookalike will get dirty and show permanent chalk marks much faster and most of the lookalikes have a noticeably whiter color than the Aramith cue ball.

fiftyyardline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The light transmissivity of the cue ball is how the Diamond Smart table knows how to distinguish the cue ball from the rest of the calls. The way I understand it - An optic sensor in the table senses the amount of light transmissivity to recognize the cue ball

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
The one on the right is NOT a red circle cue ball.

No kidding. I was showing the different look between a real red circle and just about anything else. The one on the right is a blue dot, by the way.

All the best,
WW

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No kidding. I was showing the different look between a real red circle and just about anything else. The one on the right is a blue dot, by the way.

All the best,
WW

From just about EVERYONE I've ever talked to abut it, I'm in the huge minority but my favorite has always been the blue dot / circle.

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
Most of our team captains carry an Aramith red circle. I usually carry the red logo one - and a few folks have the cheapie ones.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
From just about EVERYONE I've ever talked to abut it, I'm in the huge minority but my favorite has always been the blue dot / circle.

You've been around a while, and you're old school, just like me. The older Blue Dot, when still made in Albany, NY, was a replacement for the Centennial Blue Circle, also made in Albany. The reason for this is no matter how far back you go, the Blue Circle generally wasn't available on its own.

So, the Blue Dot cue ball was pretty prevalent in pool rooms that had Centennials, because the Blue Circles were worn out. We know the compounds now are different between Blue Circle and Blue Dot, but that's Aramith in Belgium. I don't think information is available on what the compounds were when they were made in Albany. We're going back to the 70s here. I also had no problems with both Blue Circle and Blue Dot.

All the best,
WW

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most of our team captains carry an Aramith red circle. I usually carry the red logo one - and a few folks have the cheapie ones.

I have the red logo one that came with my Aramith set, and man that thing holds the chalk spots, and they’re hard to get off th cue ball. The red circle and the measles ball seem to stay much cleaner.