Young With No Table But Still Practiced...How?

Rimfirejunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have two young players on my APA team that both grew up in the Philippines. Both shoot pretty good for 1st year players and both attribute it to a game they played growing up that uses some kind of flat pieces instead of balls. Does anyone know what that game is? I'd like to see a video of it so I can understand what they are talking about as I'm still a little unclear.

That’s what they call pool. All other games are referred to as billiards.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Gar - My best friend in 1st grade had a GC and so I asked my parents for a table for xmas. The carom game is what I got. :rotflmao1:

But I *LOVED* that thing.

I too played that game when I was younger except we flicked the rings into each other. Maybe that’s why I had shot making down before I ever really shot on a pool table.

I also practiced on my carpet with a lacrosse ball and my new cue as I waited for my table and balls to come in lol. I mad a little ramp and I would practice shooting the ball straight up to the top of the ramp without going over and then let it roll back to me to try again.

RRfireblade

Grammer Are For Stupids
Silver Member
I was pretty fortunate, my parents were musicians and I spent a great deal of my childhood in bars, on bar tables. I can remember shooting off stools before I could reach over the table top. Strange now to imagine a "child" in a bar at night. :)

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have two young players on my APA team that both grew up in the Philippines. Both shoot pretty good for 1st year players and both attribute it to a game they played growing up that uses some kind of flat pieces instead of balls. Does anyone know what that game is? I'd like to see a video of it so I can understand what they are talking about as I'm still a little unclear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vp2CnAQ4WRk we played a lot of this when I was young , in fact , I have one in my garage somewhere, that my son and I used to play with.
We called it Caroms
Ours were played with cue sticks , but you could also flick the discs with fingers.

Last edited:

smashmouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
alot of people won't get a table due to space constraints

a ball return table shoved into a corner will fit in almost any room , even a 9 footer, and will allow you to practice as well as anything

consider that against the plethora of used tables out there and all of a sudden lack of space or funds is no longer an excuse