cue ID question

henrylr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi all,

I just bought this cue and would appreciate help in identifing the maker. The butt is very nice birdseye maple,
weigth is 17.5 oz, tip is11mm, length is 57 1/4", balance point is 17 1/4" from end of butt cap and the wrap seems
to be nylon thread. It is perfectly straight and appears to be well made.

Thanks
henrylr

s-l1600 (1)comp.jpg

s-l1600 (3)comp.jpg

s-l1600 (5)comp.jpg

s-l1600 (6)comp.jpg

s-l1600 (7)comp.jpg

Last edited:

henrylr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the reply but what identifies mid 70's block letter Joss? There are no letters or markings anywhere. Did Joss mark his cues under the bumper? Also would a 70's Joss be a Joss West?

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Thanks for the reply but what identifies mid 70's block letter Joss? There are no letters or markings anywhere. Did Joss mark his cues under the bumper? Also would a 70's Joss be a Joss West?

Actually I thinks it's early 70's late 60's
Could be a Josswest but I'm leaning to block letter Joss.

This Josswest has the white implex circles like the early block letter cues

henrylr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't konw if my photos clearly show the wood in rings and blocks. Rings and blocks on shaft match the shaft color
and appear to be maple. Rings and blocks on butt joint match butt color and appear to be birdseye.

Last edited:

PDX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was watching that cue. To me it looks like the butt cap has been replaced and the pin has been modified. I was thinking it was an old Joss, but the “modifications” kept me from bidding.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was watching that cue. To me it looks like the butt cap has been replaced and the pin has been modified. I was thinking it was an old Joss, but the “modifications” kept me from bidding.

Same here.

Ultimately I decided it wasn't a JOSS anyway.

Could be wrong, but if it is a Joss it needs a bit of work to put it right.

henrylr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
old joss cue

Thanks for all the replies. I am not a collector and knew nothing about JOSS cues when I bought it. I just wanted a straight 17-18 oz cue with a small tip. My other cues are an Abe Rich, which i've been using for about 54 years, and a 1991 Bob Frey that i've played with for about 10 years.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Never seen a Joss(either one) with that pin.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
It is likely a Joss, mid 70s or prior. However, it's been touched up like a stripper on Friday night. The buttplate has likely been replaced, as well as the joint. The joint rings are classic Joss, with implex rings, which look light blue after decades.

All the best,
WW

henrylr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you referring to the cue in post #1 posted by henrylr? If so thanks for the reply. I guess my photos don't show the actual color of rings. Rings and blocks on shaft match the maple shaft color
and rings and blocks on butt joint match the slightly darker birdseye forearm color.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Are you referring to the cue in post #1 posted by henrylr? If so thanks for the reply. I guess my photos don't show the actual color of rings. Rings and blocks on shaft match the maple shaft color
and rings and blocks on butt joint match the slightly darker birdseye forearm color.

Now that I look a bit more closely, I was looking at the shaft collars that cuesblues had. Yours do look maple, again, classic Joss.

But, your cue has had more facelifts than Joan Rivers and Mary Tyler Moore. I do think it probably started out a Joss, but about everything has been replaced.

All the best,
WW

subdude1974

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Early Joss. I do agree that the buttcap has been replaced at some point. I also believe the pin was altered. Have a feeling that it was cut down and bored out to make the cue lighter. As far as the jointbeing replaced, I don’t think so. I would send it to Dan and let him refinish it, authenticate it, logo it and put in a new pin. Cue has potential. Nice pickup for the cash.