Tony Drago loses his cool vs. Alan McManus at German Masters Q

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Folks:

The AZB FlipYourLid Friday soap opera must've been a portent of this week's craziness. Here's a video that shows even the best lose their cool on occasion:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5gN6Fk_RS54

At 4:38, when Tony misses the pink, and concedes the frame (and thus the match) is when things go awry. He takes his anger upon himself.

-Sean

scsuxci

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like I posted on youtube,Tony looks a tad retarded smacking himself
like that but since this video he now plays snooker wearing a helmet.

Tony says its Grrrrrrreat!

TSW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did the referee ask if he wanted to withdraw the concession?? A concession should be final - you can't withdraw it.

That would be a hell of a shark.

"I concede. Good match.

Just kidding! Now make the pot!"

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Sean, some of these snooker players haven't been far enough away from
home betting enough money.
At around 2:35, notice the shot McManus plays on the blue-ball....
...Drago needs a snooker, and McManus immediately gives him a chance.

John Higgins plays the 'end game' better than most....
...he would have made a good road player.

Scaramouche

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did the referee ask if he wanted to withdraw the concession?? A concession should be final - you can't withdraw it.

That would be a hell of a shark.

"I concede. Good match.

Just kidding! Now make the pot!"

After Drago botched the pink, the score was 52 - 65.
Difference 13.
There were still 18 points on the table.

IIRC there is a rule that you cannot concede a frame before snookers are required.
And they levy fines.

Here Ronnie concedes the match to Hendry
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYjIV54egio

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
After Drago botched the pink, the score was 52 - 65.
Difference 13.
There were still 18 points on the table.

IIRC there is a rule that you cannot concede a frame before snookers are required.
And they levy fines.

Here Ronnie concedes the match to Hendry
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYjIV54egio

Yes, Scaramouche, I was plenty surprised to see Tony fold like that at a point when there were still enough points on the table to win -- especially when Alan himself was matching Tony in missing routine shots. I'm confused the ref allow the concession at that point -- even asking Alan "permission" to grant him (Alan) the concession.

Crazy day, for sure!
-Sean

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sean, some of these snooker players haven't been far enough away from
home betting enough money.
At around 2:35, notice the shot McManus plays on the blue-ball....
...Drago needs a snooker, and McManus immediately gives him a chance.

John Higgins plays the 'end game' better than most....
...he would have made a good road player.

Paul:

I agree -- Higgins is probably the best "closer" there is. I don't think we'd ever see Higgie in such a predicament as these two exhibited...

-Sean

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know some people think he is funny but I've always thought he is more of a shark. I saw a video of him playing Bustamante in a tournament a couple years ago and Drago was physically grabbing Bustamante.

Bella Don't Cry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At the end of the day, that's what PRESSURE can do to the best of players (Drago not included as he was never a GREAT Snooker player, at best average).

These guys are playing for real money £ not $ and in the booth situation with no audience to bounce off or control your conduct (Snooker is a gentlemans game) it is easier to lose control when playing for a spot in the TV stages of an event where the real £££ roll in.

Trust me; Drago is a GREAT pool player, but Snooker is the tougher game thus makes him look average...

branpureza

Ginacue
Silver Member
I've heard many players say, after losing, that they beat themselves... but this is taking it to another level.

JD_Hogg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From what i heard his head banging had nothing to do with him conceding the match, apparently he had just found out that Bonus Ball was delayed again.

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
And they levy fines.

Yeah, this is why Tony tried to take back his concession, he asked the ref if it would cost him 150 pounds, the ref said yes and then asked if Tony wanted to withdraw the concession, he then stated it would not be fair to Alan, the ref asked Alan if he was happy to accept the concenssion, he said yes, the frame was called and Tony asked "so that will cost me 150 pounds?", the ref said "yes, sorry".

Tony was pissed off about the money, the ball was likely to have been potted but Tony basically gave away 150 pounds there for nothing.

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
It gets a bit more interesting. Read this article or better yet I will copy and paste it for the lazy ones. :grin:

http://www.snookerbacker.com/drago-lodges-complaint-against-himself/

November 29, 2012
Drago Lodges Complaint Against Himself
Filed under: — snookerbacker @ 5:03 pm

Drago – Complaint

Following on from the extraordinary scenes today in the match between Alan McManus and Tony Drago it has been revealed that Drago has lodged an official complaint to World Snooker about his own behaviour.

Drago has lodged the appeal on the grounds of ‘violent conduct towards a tour player’ namely Tony Drago, as he appeared to punch and slap himself following a careless early concession of the match which is likely to result in a fine.

It is believed that Drago has been advised by the Snooker Players Association (SAP) to lodge this complaint in an attempt to confuse the governing body and to make them forget about the mandatory fine for the early concession.

Speaking exclusively to this blog a close friend said ‘Tony feels he used excessive force against himself earlier today and would like the WPBSA to investigate the circumstances surrounding this incident’ the source continued ‘Tony feels that if vindicated he should be awarded compensation from the governing body who have a duty of care towards their members and could have stepped in to stop this unfortunate incident from happening’

Alan McManus was unavailable for comment but it is believed that Drago’s lawyers are calling the Scotsman as their key witness.

More news when we have it.

Jason Robichaud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tony is a piece of s#^t and I told him so in Vegas when he cheated against Stan T. Everyone there saw him cheat, but he wanted the win, no matter what.

scsuxci

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tony is a piece of s#^t and I told him so in Vegas when he cheated against Stan T. Everyone there saw him cheat, but he wanted the win, no matter what.

I've heard some quirky things about him myself and when it comes
to Stan,he's always been a class guy on and off the pool table.