KT's Lawyers

sjb

evolving player
Silver Member
I've read some discussion here about lawyers, but haven't seen any about KT's lawyers. Here's some info, for what it's worth:

In past litigation (and he's been involved in plenty), KT has been represented by Jenner & Block, a national law firm based in Chicago, that has over 400 lawyers. This firm has represented KT in lawsuits he's brought against the United States, the FTC, the NY State Consumer Protection Board, as well as various companies and individuals. I'm familiar with this firm, and they're not lightweights.

Based on his history of litigation, KT seems to have an affinity for making claims that he and his companies have been disparaged in various ways that damage his ability to do business.

Here's an example to think about:
About 10 years ago, KT sued an individual for allegedly libelous statements made by the individual about KT in a book and on a website. KT obtained a default judgment (I haven't looked up the details, but typically, a default is entered when the defendant fails to respond to the complaint). Following an evidentiary hearing, KT was awarded a judgment of $5 million in compensatory damages and $5 million in punitive damages. Here's the ironic kicker -- the individual then filed bankruptcy and tried to discharge the judgment debt. The court ruled that the debt was not dischargable because the underlying act was "a willful or malicious injury."

Just a word to the wise: be careful, and know your foe.

ioCross

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i'd be wary of locking horns with KT and crew. he makes the dirtiest lowdown 2bit pool hustling degenerate look like a patron saint.

he does have some VERY nice moves tho. like selling a product for dirt cheap, and having the fine print say that by ordering this product you're signing yourself up for 70 dollar monthly(or was it yearly) subscription service.

or where he takes a bunch of health articles that can be found on the internet, turns them into a book, then selling the book to stupid people.

he might be pool's best hustler.

!Smorgass Bored

Hump ? What HUMP ?
Gold Member
I Ain't Scared

Well, I just added up my checking account, my savings account, my piggy bank money, my pocket money, my 'flash cash', my 'secret' money and the available balance on my one and only credit card..... and if KT and his 400 lawyers want to sue me for my $989.14, just BRING IT ON.
Doug
( plus, I secretly think that he LIKED my song )

sjb

evolving player
Silver Member
Hey, every penny counts. Your $989.14 would pay 11% of almost $9000.

Eydie Romano

Finally Retired!
Silver Member
sjb said:
I've read some discussion here about lawyers, but haven't seen any about KT's lawyers. Here's some info, for what it's worth:

In past litigation (and he's been involved in plenty), KT has been represented by Jenner & Block, a national law firm based in Chicago, that has over 400 lawyers. This firm has represented KT in lawsuits he's brought against the United States, the FTC, the NY State Consumer Protection Board, as well as various companies and individuals. I'm familiar with this firm, and they're not lightweights.

Based on his history of litigation, KT seems to have an affinity for making claims that he and his companies have been disparaged in various ways that damage his ability to do business.

Here's an example to think about:
About 10 years ago, KT sued an individual for allegedly libelous statements made by the individual about KT in a book and on a website. KT obtained a default judgment (I haven't looked up the details, but typically, a default is entered when the defendant fails to respond to the complaint). Following an evidentiary hearing, KT was awarded a judgment of $5 million in compensatory damages and $5 million in punitive damages. Here's the ironic kicker -- the individual then filed bankruptcy and tried to discharge the judgment debt. The court ruled that the debt was not dischargable because the underlying act was "a willful or malicious injury."

Just a word to the wise: be careful, and know your foe.

This is all true, I agree with what you have stated... KT keeps this firm along with another high profile attorney Marc J. Lane http://www.marcjlane.com/ on retainer. J&B have been with KT for many many years as well.

Check out Marc's motto!

Both firms are well respected in this area, but have been defeated in the past with KT as well...

Although this is true, don't think for one minute that other well respected attorney's here in Chicago are used to dealing with J&B and KT. The attorney we have been consulting has past experiences with KT and has prevailed in court!

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Eydie Romano said:
This is all true, I agree with what you have stated... KT keeps this firm along with another high profile attorney Marc J. Lane http://www.marcjlane.com/ on retainer. J&B have been with KT for many many years as well.

Check out Marc's motto!

Both firms are well respected in this area, but have been defeated in the past with KT as well...

Although this is true, don't think for one minute that other well respected attorney's here in Chicago are used to dealing with J&B and KT. The attorney we have been consulting has past experiences with KT and has prevailed in court!

Kt is involved in a law suit right now that goes to court around the first of next year. It involves him suing people who have tried to interfere with him doing business by sending out press releases in an attempt to stop people from doing business with him. Sound familiar? Depending on how far the thing with the IPT goes, you can bet one of their defenses will be they were interfered with as they tried to make the IPT work.

As proof they will have to sue, even if they don't want to or don't even believe in their case, those that they feel tried to prevent them from conducting their business. Whether they win of lose doesn't matter to them, but the ones being sued will have to defend themselves. Have you even been on the receiving end of a law suit? I have and I can tell you 20 to 50 thousand in legal fees is nothing.

If I was you and a few others on here I would keep my mouth shut from now on before it is too late, and it may already be too late. Better start saving up for your legal fund if KT has decided he doesn't like you. Kt regardless where the money came from has invested millions of dollars in the IPT and it is no joke you guys screwing with him.

I think you could make a line already at this point on the probability of you and a couple others getting sued. Some of you people are in some kind of fantasy world, you can't go screw with people like that, even KT has rights. If you have pissed KT off enough I hope you have a lot of money, because you'll need it, a good lawyer ain't cheap.

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
macguy said:
Kt is involved in a law suit right now that goes to court around the first of next year. It involves him suing people who have tried to interfere with him doing business by sending out press releases in an attempt to stop people from doing business with him. Sound familiar? Depending on how far the thing with the IPT goes, you can bet one of their defenses will be they were interfered with as they tried to make the IPT work.

As proof they will have to sue, even if they don't want to or don't even believe in their case, those that they feel tried to prevent them from conducting their business. Whether they win of lose doesn't matter to them, but the ones being sued will have to defend themselves. Have you even been on the receiving end of a law suit? I have and I can tell you 20 to 50 thousand in legal fees is nothing.

If I was you and a few others on here I would keep my mouth shut from now on before it is too late, and it may already be too late. Better start saving up for your legal fund if KT has decided he doesn't like you. Kt regardless where the money came from has invested millions of dollars in the IPT and it is no joke you guys screwing with him.

I think you could make a line already at this point on the probability of you and a couple others getting sued. Some of you people are in some kind of fantasy world, you can't go screw with people like that, even KT has rights. If you have pissed KT off enough I hope you have a lot of money, because you'll need it, a good lawyer ain't cheap.

Discretion is certainly recommended.

Also, if you have a standard, personal Umbrella Insurance policy, you should be covered for the defense of personal law suits.

Jim

av84fun

Banned
sjb...<<Just a word to the wise: be careful, and know your foe. >>

EXCELLENT post. Jenner is not only not a lightweight firm, it is one of the most prestigious in the nation. Of course, they don't always prevail for him...at least they didn't with respect to the FTC matter a few years ago, and Edyie states that the NYC lawyers have defeated him...I presume with Jenner representation.

But they are REALLY good.

Regards,
Jim

av84fun

Banned
MACGUY...GREAT post sir. I have shared essentially the same views with a couple of the more obvious "candidates" but you are SPOT ON.

Regards,
Jim

av84fun

Banned
jimmyg...<<Also, if you have a standard, personal Umbrella Insurance policy, you should be covered for the defense of personal law suits.>>

Right...but watch out for exclusions for "intentional acts."

Great advice though....and CHEAP for the benefits provided.

Regards,
Jim

cuejoey

25 mm chain guns matter
Silver Member
i see on TV that he is GIVING AWAY his book.just pay for shipping !!!!!!

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cuejoey said:
i see on TV that he is GIVING AWAY his book.just pay for shipping !!!!!!

That sounds like a move. The book is self published and probably doesn't cost that much to produce, they probably print them as they need them. Depending on what they are charging for shipping, shipping books is cheap so they make a good profit on the shipping anyway and they want to try to get you to subscribe to the web site.

When I said I think it's a move, I suspect since the book is being given away you can't complain and ask for a refund. Why would you pay to send back something you got for free? They play the game good and have been at it for a long time.

av84fun

Banned
Cuejoey...<<i see on TV that he is GIVING AWAY his book.just pay for shipping !!!!!!>>

Right...but A) what is the shipping charge...how much PROFIT is there in it...? and B) does ordering the book obligate the purchaser to a monthly subscription...in the small print??

Interesting post though. There have been numerous comments about the book's sales declining substantially!

(-:
Jim

T

Timberly

av84fun said:
does ordering the book obligate the purchaser to a monthly subscription...in the small print??
IIRC, the book doesn't tell you what the "cure" is. It tells you to join the website, which is where a lot of the credit card complaints are.

It's been quite awhile since I looked at the complaints but I think people paid for the website, were disappointed because there's no "cures" there and then they would cancel their subscription. The monthly charges were still being charged to their card after they would cancel their subscription.

Also, I believe they're charging somewhere in the ballpark of $30 for the shipping. I seem to recall someone saying that on here not too long ago.

If you do a serach on the forums, there's quite a few threads where people have linked websites that have listed complaints against KT, Natural Cures, and a slew of other companies and they'll tell you exactly what the complaints are.

Da Poet

Pool is Cool
Silver Member
Are we talking about the possibility of getting sued by KT just for posting stuff here?

He "might" be crazy enough, but I don't see how the publicity would help him. These other suits sort of help him present himself as the underdog or victim. My guess is that in his mind, it helps him sell his books by portraying himself as some sort of "defender" of the common man's rights.

If were talking about outside activities, and hinting at Eydie, it seems to me that she has been very responsible in consulting with attorneys with everything she has been doing in the last month or so. But more importantly, I think the best protection she has is the personal respect and support of many of the IPT pro's and many others here and in the pool business who I'm sure would speak up on her behalf should KT try something stupid.

sjb

evolving player
Silver Member
Eydie Romano said:

Check out Marc's motto!

I certainly didn't intend to imply that you weren't well-informed -- I just put the info out there for those who might not be.

I know there are plenty of "heavy hitters" in the Chicago legal community besides J&B. I've hired a fair number of them myself.

You're right, Lane's motto is a hoot. Just like most lawyer "mottos."

av84fun

Banned
Da Poet...<<He "might" be crazy enough, but I don't see how the publicity would help him. These other suits sort of help him present himself as the underdog or victim.>>

So too, might suits to "protect his good name and honor." And apparently, he has done it before according to the post here.

As for "character witnesses" that is a kind and generous inclination but such testimony...as to character and truthfulness is problematic regarding admissibility...except in criminal cases where it is generally pretty unrestricted.

But in civil matters, local rules in state courts and the FRCP make getting such testimony admitted difficult (not impossible...difficult) unless the plaintiff's character/truthfulness is brought into question by the defense...a practice that may not be well advised for the above reason.

And in defamation cases...the burden of proof lies upon the DEFENDANT to PROVE that the statements complained of by the Plaintiff are true...truth being an absolute defense to a defamation claim.

Conversely, the defendant does NOT have to prove innocence...since innocence is presumed in this country....(supposedly) (-:

It is HUGELY wise advice to desist from lodging any allegations of specific acts that might rise to the level of defamation...either pe se...or per quod...for those who are interested...in per quod defamation actual DAMAGES must be proved by the plaintiff. But in the per se variety, damages are PRESUMED and all that remains is for the judge or jury to assess an appropriate sum.

Allegations such as criminal activity and unfitness to perform one's profession are examples of the per se variety. Re: criminal conduct, it is fine to allege the commission of crimes regarding which the person has been convicted...because the truth is an absolute defense.

Or you can mention that someone has been CHARGED with a crime...if that is true.

But you are walking on VERY thin ice to allege criminal conduct regarding any activity regarding which the person has neither been charged or convicted. I'm not saying that you cannot possibly get away with the above...just that doing so is a REALLY, REALLY bad idea.

Sorry for the length of this post but as has been pointed out by others, that there have been posts that might be awfully close to a line that the poster would not want to cross...so I think there is some merit in discussing these issues.

Regards,
Jim

!Smorgass Bored

Hump ? What HUMP ?
Gold Member
WHEW ! I'm Covered

jimmyg said:
Also, if you have a standard, personal Umbrella Insurance policy, you should be covered for the defense of personal law suits.
Jim

I think my umbrella is covered under my Renter's Insurance (but not from Flood )
Doug
( along with my other 'stuff' )

av84fun

Banned
Timberly...<<Also, I believe they're charging somewhere in the ballpark of $30 for the shipping.>>

ROFLMAO! I don't admire KT in any way whatsoever.,..and not necessarily including him in this remark...but it is amazing...in a morbid sort of way...how BLATANTLY some people are willing to act...and that the definition of "free" does not seem to be an issue in the mind of the FTC and/or state regulators....that I know of.

But hey...I'll sell anyone my house for FREE...but there will be a very large inspection fee.

Regards,
Jim