Loose Rails

2railbank

Registered
I have an inexpensive table (Sears)and my rails loosen up. They are flake board of some sort. I've tried larger screws but they still don't stay tight.The slate needs releveled and while it's apart what can I do to fix the rails? THANK YOU!!

dave_k

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sell it on craigslist for 100, and find a used valley for 300-400. simply the best fix you will get, and its not hard to find a valley for that

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I have an inexpensive table (Sears)and my rails loosen up. They are flake board of some sort. I've tried larger screws but they still don't stay tight.The slate needs releveled and while it's apart what can I do to fix the rails? THANK YOU!!

Sears sells a good two purpose pool table, fun for the kids to play pool on in the summer months when they're out of school, then in the winter the table provides heat in the fireplace, but you might want to burn some real wood with it as well, because particle board burns fast:D

Glen

2railbank

Registered
What to do ?

You guys are funny. I only have one friend and he refuses to help me carry a valley table down into my basement. Slate wouldn't fit in my wood stove. I can't swing a new DIAMOND on unemployment. Plus it will not fit where the livein told me to put it. Thanks.

Last edited:

mechanic/player

Silver Member
You could replace the lag bolts with a threaded stud, using gorilla glue or epoxy insert the stud into the lag bolt hole, make sure they are installed straight and are the correct length, let them cure overnight then re-install the rails and tighten them down using a domed washer or a large one and a 9/16th nut. You could also re- fill the hole about 25% using wood and wood glue, let cure and then re-install the original lag bolts. Or use the next size bigger lag bolts. Good luck.

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
You could replace the lag bolts with a threaded stud, using gorilla glue or epoxy insert the stud into the lag bolt hole, make sure they are installed straight and are the correct length, let them cure overnight then re-install the rails and tighten them down using a domed washer or a large one and a 9/16th nut. You could also re- fill the hole about 50% using wood and wood glue, let cure and then re-install the original lag bolts. Or use the next size bigger lag bolts. Good luck.

Not going to make much difference in particle board trust me;)

scruffy1

Silver Member
O.k let me give my hack job repair. You do not care what it looks like so here is what you do. Round head carriage bolts. Drill thru the top of the rail and bolt on! Paint them,counter sink them, make them the sights!LOL.

mechanic/player

Silver Member
Just trying to help the guy with the only thing he can afford right now. I know what you are saying, I made a lady cry one time, had people hang up on me before over sears tables, now I just help them if I can.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Excuse me sir, but I couldn't help but notice you had a new saddle on that dead horse you have there, how come?

Wwwwwell sir, I just wanted to see if I could ride him one more time before I bury him, so I put the saddle on nice and neat, straped it all down tight so I'm ready to ride....but I've spent the last 6 hours trying to get my horse to stand up without any luck:D

Glen;)

PoolTable911

AdvancedBilliardSolutions
Silver Member
Excuse me sir, but I couldn't help but notice you had a new saddle on that dead horse you have there, how come?

Wwwwwell sir, I just wanted to see if I could ride him one more time before I bury him, so I put the saddle on nice and neat, straped it all down tight so I'm ready to ride....but I've spent the last 6 hours trying to get my horse to stand up without any luck:D

Glen;)

His table is rundown not dead.....apples to apples buddy.:thumbup:

Jim Vondrell

Accu-Level Billiard Svc
Silver Member
O.k let me give my hack job repair. You do not care what it looks like so here is what you do. Round head carriage bolts. Drill thru the top of the rail and bolt on! Paint them,counter sink them, make them the sights!LOL.

That was my thought before i got to your reply. I've also epoxied the lag bolts into the rails as well on 70's brunswick tables which is what the sears table is essentially. If you do the epoxy make sure you don't over tighten the nuts that is what caused the problem in the first place.

Firewood or not he wants to play on this table he can and will with a little engineering.

Some of us are not winning any customer service awards any time soon that is for sure.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
That was my thought before i got to your reply. I've also epoxied the lag bolts into the rails as well on 70's brunswick tables which is what the sears table is essentially. If you do the epoxy make sure you don't over tighten the nuts that is what caused the problem in the first place.

Firewood or not he wants to play on this table he can and will with a little engineering.

Some of us are not winning any customer service awards any time soon that is for sure.

I hear what you guys are saying;) but in the past, instead of taking someones money to fix up, or work on tables like these, the first thing I've tried to do is get the customer into at least a little better table, even to the point of giving a trade in, or buy out of this kind of table, so I knew the customer would be happy playing on a little better table. If that was out of the question...then working on these kind of tables was out of the question as well...because I never could handle taking someone's money just because I needed it at the time....even to the point of saying to myself....what a piece of shit...yet to the customer...it's not a bad table, it'll be better once I charge you to fix it up;) I'd walk away with nothing first....before I took someones money like that;)

Glen

afss

Registered
I would agree that this table is going to fail, but if the guy wants to fix it why not help him fix it instead of poking fun at it. Maybe he can't afford a new table and he has time to burn. Its not a business to everyone. From a business stand point i see where you are coming from but as a hobiest stand point it would be nice if the mechanics could offer their opinion to upgrade as its best in the long run and probably easiest but here are some things you can try to limp you through.

On to that.

What about counter sinking bolts as suggested and then bondoing or wood filler the top of it and then touch up with some paint or not fill in and buy/make wood caps to fill the holes, kinda like plugs?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I would agree that this table is going to fail, but if the guy wants to fix it why not help him fix it instead of poking fun at it. Maybe he can't afford a new table and he has time to burn. Its not a business to everyone. From a business stand point i see where you are coming from but as a hobiest stand point it would be nice if the mechanics could offer their opinion to upgrade as its best in the long run and probably easiest but here are some things you can try to limp you through.

On to that.

What about counter sinking bolts as suggested and then bondoing or wood filler the top of it and then touch up with some paint or not fill in and buy/make wood caps to fill the holes, kinda like plugs?

I hear what you're saying, as well as everyone else...but to me, it's all about balance of time vs money vs investment= bottom line...is it worth it;)

afss

Registered
absolutely, you are right, if you are doing it and money is the only concern then it sure as hell isn't worth it. The time i invested in the table i just put together, if i could have worked the hours i put into it I could have bought a brand new table and had someone install it for me. Having said that i can't work all those hours, even if i did my wife would want her cut LOL and other bills would come up etc. But i do have some spare time and enjoy the challenge.

I would prefer a new or better (one that i didn't have to cut the slate on) table but i enjoyed doing the work, am extremely happy with the outcome and down the road if i use this table as much as i hope to then i may upgrade. Its not much of a table compared to some but it also plays better than many at halls and bars i have been to.