Name a pool hall you wish was still open today

fan-tum

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They were within a couple of blocks of each other when I knew them. They both had windows to Market Street, but Cochran's entrance was on Golden Gate.

Cochran's was taken over by Tony Annigoni and partners after they had taken over and then closed Palace Billiards. I believe Cochran's was rechristened "The Cue Club" and may have turned into Hollywood Billiards later. It now seems to have been turned into residential space, judging from Street View.
"Windows"..really? I don't remember those rooms having windows. Palace had wall to wall mirrors and comfortable fold-down chairs all around, in its day the classiest room around.

Str8PoolPlayer

“1966 500 SuperFast”
Silver Member
Pictures of The Jointed Cue, in All It’s Glory 😢

All of We Northern California Players are mourning the loss of The Jointed Cue Billiards in South Sacramento. The local Dirt-Bag ADA Lawyer saw fit to have them closed down due to discrepancies in Accessibility for the Handicapped. The building is very old and not worth the tens of thousands of dollars it would take to bring it up to current standards .... so, the doors were closed for good several months ago.

A Few Fond Memories of “The Cue”.

Attachments

• D400330F-3D30-4E94-902F-09436B5FD447.jpeg
    D400330F-3D30-4E94-902F-09436B5FD447.jpeg
    176.2 KB · Views: 389
  • F3521FA3-C638-4B82-BEB5-E02AF6756ED1.jpeg
    F3521FA3-C638-4B82-BEB5-E02AF6756ED1.jpeg
    156.3 KB · Views: 388
  • 1676C515-E6C4-4622-9F75-DE7412FB15C9.jpeg
    1676C515-E6C4-4622-9F75-DE7412FB15C9.jpeg
    104.6 KB · Views: 330
  • 1793A401-63FF-4132-BBE2-12BED6D4017C.jpeg
    1793A401-63FF-4132-BBE2-12BED6D4017C.jpeg
    142 KB · Views: 335
  • BA269ECF-7942-4356-A3E2-1CB21D10564C.jpeg
    BA269ECF-7942-4356-A3E2-1CB21D10564C.jpeg
    160.2 KB · Views: 352
Last edited:

L.S. Dennis

They were within a couple of blocks of each other when I knew them. They both had windows to Market Street, but Cochran's entrance was on Golden Gate.

Cochran's was taken over by Tony Annigoni and partners after they had taken over and then closed Palace Billiards. I believe Cochran's was rechristened "The Cue Club" and may have turned into Hollywood Billiards later. It now seems to have been turned into residential space, judging from Street View.
The first time I went to Cochrans, the entrance was on Market Street, then when Annigone turned it into the Cue Club years later the entrance was on Golden Gate st. I think the first time I set foot in Cochrans was around 1962 or 1963.
I remember as a young kid walking up those scary stairs and then entering a different world than anything that I‘d ever seen before in my life.

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Speaking of old pool halls, does anybody remember one in Hollywood on Santa Monica Blvd. near Barney’s Beanery? I played there in the late 60s but could never remember its name.

pj
chgo

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I wish the old Pool Room in Ellijay GA was still open. Harold had the best chili dogs I have ever tasted. They had bar tables, snooker and 9 footers. No alcohol. It was a classic old wood floor pool room.

pw98

Registered
I wish Chagrin Valley Billiards, Chagrin Falls Ohio was still open because it was 5 minutes away from here.
It eventually moved to Northfield Billiards, Northfield Ohio. I wish that was still open because it was relatively close, big, they kept the tables up, no drinking and 24 hours.
There is one real pool hall left on the east side of Cleveland and it is in the ghetto so I never go there. The other remaining ones are bars or bowling allies.
I dont go to any anymore because of covid.

Tahoedirt

Tahoedirt
Which one was upstairs in the tenderloin? IIRC it was cochrans. It was still open around 2001...

Ian
Cochrane’s in SF for sure- The most perfect pool hall ever- 2 entrances, either Golden Gate or Market St, up the stairs and thru the double doors. It was like walking into a movie set for a old movie from the 40’s. Huge with even the 6 X 12 snooker table. I loved this place.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Julien's NY had tons of character and strong players.

Original Amsterdam's NY was in a super location, lots of celebrities played there. Good vibes.

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
Purvis's Pool Hall, Oxford, Mississippi

You would have to have been there.

Small Town Anywhere, USA, School of Pool

Last edited:

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pictures of The Jointed Cue, in All It’s Glory 😢

A Few Fond Memories of “The Cue”.
My all time favorite room ever.

Terry was a dear friend, I learned so much about life in that room, gambled, saw the guns come out one night, my best pool memories are in that room. I played there from 85 until the last time I went in was 2010 I’m guessing.

There isn’t a room that comes near this room for me. 2nd place is a million notches down the ladder for many reasons.

I get emotional just typing this, this is the place that set the course of my life-what I learned there defined my future as who I am & what I’ve done.

That is my ground zero

It don’t get any stronger for me, looking back at everything. My parents got me to where I was at in life to that point. But it was at the Joint I decided who I was going to become. And I have accomplished that. I learned what I needed to know there to achieve my accomplishments.

Fatboy<———-Thanks Terry rip🙏🏼🥲❤️

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's not so much the pool halls themselves; it's the players who inhabited them. It would be pointless for Palace Billiards or Cochran's to come back to San Francisco or the Blue Cue (1965-1967) to come back to Berkeley if the people I remember in them were not there.
So true. I could wish for Parker’s Lounge, Le Cue downtown (both in Houston) and the original Bananas (in San Antonio) but without the characters that inhabited these dens of iniquity, it would be meaningless and never be the same.

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For me it would be the Le Cue Club at the corner of Rusk and Fannin in Houston, TX ... I first went there by Greyhound bus from 90 miles away at 17 ... Way out of my league at that time, but I didn't know anything about leagues ... lol ... t was located on the second floor of a stand alone building and had stairs and an elevator to go upstairs ,,, The stairs were always OK, but when you took the elevator you did not know what to expect as there were always different denizens of the city inside at times ... I saw ho's, ho's and pimps and a stabbing or two, etc ... But over all, I had a great time that weekend playing what today would be b - c players for a couple of bucks until 4am in the morning and then went across the street to a hotel spent the night getting up at 4pm and going back to Le Cue and doing it all over again until I had to leave and catch the bus back home ... Great memories ... !~
Been there done that. Spent hours just watching the derelicts that inhabited the place. It was above Lamar Drug. Played lots of golf on the snooker table with Red Perry. Loved to talk about all the “gratis p—-y“ he wasn’t getting. “In the joint Judy” and “last one in is a dirty name” we’re two of his favorite lines at the table. A lot of the players spent day there sleeping in a chair.