9ft vs 7ft

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I will strongly recommend against the oversize eight footer. Like an eight foot table it is neither fish nor fowl. I would much prefer the seven or the nine over the odd sized table.

Hu

This is a regional thing. There was another thread involving this topic last year.

Here where I reside, in North Texas, you walk into a pool hall and the first thing you encounter is the majority of over-sized 8-ft. tables in the facility. If I remember correctly, Central Texas was much the same way.

Now that I've seen the OP's second post where he stated he had room for BOTH tables, then I would definitely recommend the 9-ft. table.

Maniac

IbeAnEngineer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would get the biggest table you can put in your room and still play on without anything getting in the way of your stroke on any shot.

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very surprising everyone went right by you saying, you have room for both. If you have that space, and the extra cash doesn’t hurt too much, get both. Jump on the seven, right away. Order the nine, perfect world. Stroke drills, on the nine. Then move over and play ghost on the seven, endless possibilities, all good.

ipoppa33

Shakedown Custom Rods
Silver Member
Since you have room for both, I'd buy the 7-footer today! Have it installed and enjoy it. Then wait to find another deal on a 9-footer. Also after your lesson you will know if you really want the larger table. Good luck.

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ll offer a scenario. You are a reasonable person, easy to get along with. You find two others, like that. Fourth guy has to be high level player, who can teach. One guy plays the killer, receiving instruction . The other two play on other table. You rotate. You three play each other, discussing what the killer recommends. You shoot with the four of you once a week and the three of you once a week. You practice as much as you can, by yourself, in between. Play league and get in competition as much as you have time for. If you can find the right people, to fill these slots. It will shock you, how much better, you will get.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you could use the 2,500 then go with the smaller table, if it's not going to break the bank, I really think you would enjoy the larger table.

I have a 7' and wished I had a 9', just simply didn't have the room.

PhishPhan1995

Registered
I'm overwhelmed at the amount of responses and suggestions from this forum. I figured when i posted this thread i was gonna get the typical "use the search function" like other forums when you ask a question that has probably been asked a million times. I truly appreciate all the suggestions thank you! I will be a on here for a long time to come.

I need to do some real thinking on this. I think part of me just doesn't want to wait 3 months I own a lawn care weed control landscape business. Im on my down time now waiting on the snow to fly and really want to play more.

I have one last question and its subjective am i doing myself no favors by only looking at diamond brand tables? I'm not brand loyal by any means i just want a solid pool table and diamond seems to be leading the industry but I've read that's only because Brunswick gave them the market share. I really don't have a max budget but in my mind want to keep it under 7k i am paying cash for the table so don't need to worry about interest or anything like that..

Again thanks for all the responses you all are great.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
I'm overwhelmed at the amount of responses and suggestions from this forum. I figured when i posted this thread i was gonna get the typical "use the search function" like other forums when you ask a question that has probably been asked a million times. I truly appreciate all the suggestions thank you! I will be a on here for a long time to come.

I need to do some real thinking on this. I think part of me just doesn't want to wait 3 months I own a lawn care weed control landscape business. Im on my down time now waiting on the snow to fly and really want to play more.

I have one last question and its subjective am i doing myself no favors by only looking at diamond brand tables? I'm not brand loyal by any means i just want a solid pool table and diamond seems to be leading the industry but I've read that's only because Brunswick gave them the market share. I really don't have a max budget but in my mind want to keep it under 7k i am paying cash for the table so don't need to worry about interest or anything like that..

Diamonds really are great tables and more and more are being put into the pool halls and are the tables for the tournaments. I likes gold crowns, absolutely love diamonds.

A shot in the dark, your hall with 12 7s and 3 9’ tables, is it bankshots?

Sedog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I totally agree! I have a 9 ft. at home, play at bar that has mostly 7 ft valley’s. After shooting on my home table, playing on a 7 footer is very easy. Get the 9 ft. table!

KenRobbins

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
9 footers suck for me. long shots just too long, cant see the angles. buy the 7 footer, will be better as you get older and more enjoyable.

After putting the time in on a 9ft table, long shots are just routine shots and not much of a big deal. After playing enough on a 9ft the bigger size becomes the new normal and doesn't feel like a big table anymore at all. The 9ft will feel like a barbox in a way, hard to explain.

I know a local guy in his 70's that can still run a 100 balls, but just can't play as long of sessions like he use to. If barbox pool makes you feel happy inside, that's what matters the most and just play pool.

Sedog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Everyone for the suggestions. I'm kinda surprised at he amount of people that said 9ft.

I have another dilemma that just came up. So I called and talked with diamond and seyberts beings they are closest dealer to my location. its 12 to 14 weeks out for any table i order new since it will need to be 3 piece slate. plus 1k for delivery and setup

I found a 7ft diamond purchased in July 3 piece slatethe guy lives 30 miles from me. He is moving and needs to sell it he wanted 4500. I offered him 4k he said he would do it I called the billiards shop local to me they said they will move and set up the table for 450. I could be shooting pool on it next weekend. Plus a price savings of 2450.00 from the 9ft

So would the savings change anyone's mind?

I also feel like at that price if i ended up wishing I had a 9ft i could order one and when it gets here sell the 7ft table. I would think i would be able to get 4k back out of it? I have the room for 2 tables so its not like i couldn't move the 7ft over the other side of the room till someone purchased it.

I'm gonna be honest I have never really had the desire to shoot on a 9ft table and when I do I don't feel intimidated by the size the only thing i notice is the shots tend to seem longer and deflection comes into play more.

Another thing i worry about is I'm older now have a little more time to dedicate to the sport I'm dead set on putting in loads of time to get much better so when start practicing more at home will I grave that 9ft table? I have a 2 day session with Mark Wilson next month. My goal is to see how good i can actually get.

Sorry for rambling just trying to hear what others have to say and maybe here some mistakes they felt they made in there pool table purchase.

You should consider a used 9ft, they play just as good as a new table. You could have new cloth and bumpers and still save thousands vs a new table. Unless. or course money no object.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member

Since time is important I would buy the used 7' table now then the money you saved (if you have a $7K budget) keep your eyes open for a used 9' table. I have both sizes, I love it.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member

I think you're smart for looking for a Diamond. Harder to find but worth the wait. Decent quality and the resale will probably be easier if you want to get rid of it someday.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Since time is important I would buy the used 7' table now then the money you saved (if you have a $7K budget) keep your eyes open for a used 9' table. I have both sizes, I love it.

I'm jealous. Modern houses, even huge ones, don't have that sort of room. I struggled even to find one to take my 9 footer.

misterpoole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got a used diamond 9 ft when the local pool hall decided to replace them with gc 5. Maybe check with the owner of the pool hall that has diamonds to see if they can get a better deal for you. The used table smelled like a pool hall for a while. Other than that it was good. I had it installed by the guy that had worked on it while it was at the pool hall all those years. Getting a good install is very important. You dont want a funky playing table.

Woodshaft

Do what works for YOU!
For your needs, I think the 7ft is the correct choice.
Since it's all you play on now and ever will play on, it just makes sense.
Plus it's way cheaper to buy and should be easier to sell due to it's smaller size and price.

PhishPhan1995

Registered
I think this what I'm gonna do. Buy the 7ft keep looking for a 9ft and either sell the 7ft or keep both. I'm fortunate to have a open basement to fit both tables in.

Last edited: