Refinish question

daniel

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Im refinishing older schon & has some deep bruises.any tips on possibly filling them as i dont have access to steamer.

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
Im refinishing older schon & has some deep bruises.any tips on possibly filling them as i dont have access to steamer.

You can try super glue (med) and accelerator (if needed) to fill the dent in but it is hard to get a color match so it is totally invisible. You cant feel it but you still might see it.

daniel

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
What is (med) & also what is accelerator? I painted cars in the lacquer days & used it on humid days to speed dry the clear.

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
What is (med) & also what is accelerator? I painted cars in the lacquer days & used it on humid days to speed dry the clear.

(Med) is the viscosity or thickness of the super glue that is best used to fill in dents.
There is Thin (almost like water and will penetrate wood deeply),
Medium (the normal stuff),
Thick (fills gaps),
and Gel (commonly used for tips).

Accelerator is a chemical that will set the superglue upon contact.
It forces the glue to harden.
Sometimes a puddle of superglue will take hours to set unless you hit it with Accelerator.
Problem here is that sometimes the accelerator will fog the glue and it wont be clear.

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i dont have access to steamer

All i ever used is a clothes iron & wet cotton or linen cloth. Iron probably from the flea market long ago.

That said, you won't get a match with fillers, but you won't have other problems, either.

Good luck.
smt

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Option 1-
Send it to Schon if you haven't stripped it yet. If you have, don't send it. They won't work on thier own cues if someone else has.
Option 2-
If you plan on spraying the cue, don't use super glue as a base, primer coat. They don't work well together.
Option 3-
If you really don't know what your doing, don't do it. Send it to someone who knows what they're doing.
Don't ruin your cue.
Trying to repair what the inexperienced has started can be a real pain in the ass.

daniel

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It looks like schon doesnt clear their butcaps. I know clear doesnt adhere well with delrin and not sure what material they use. Almost looks like micarta. This is no show cue & the nickel rings right above buttcap are raised. Would be much easier if i could clear buttcap. Exactly why most cuemakers quit using silver rings cause clear shrinks & they dont. Lol

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It looks like schon doesnt clear their butcaps. I know clear doesnt adhere well with delrin and not sure what material they use. Almost looks like micarta. This is no show cue & the nickel rings right above buttcap are raised. Would be much easier if i could clear buttcap. Exactly why most cuemakers quit using silver rings cause clear shrinks & they dont. Lol

Delrin comes in 3 standard colors. White, black and ivory colored. Thier finish, I believe is some type of epoxy. Metal rings are and have been a concern/problem for a lot of Cue makers. The problem is more the finishing process than the material.
Added.
Some will claim that metal rings should be under cut.
They couldn't be more wrong.

Last edited: