Went back to wood last night.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I started playing with a revo 12.9 a year ago. I then got a meucci carbon pro last summer and sort of played with one or the other ...mostly the meucci.

Last night i decided to use the black dot and must say i am very happy with how i played overall. Got out of position a few times but made every ball thst was makeable ...for my skill level lol.

All but one...hill - hill in 8 ball and made the classic mistake of missing an easy 8 after making a very hard ...for me shot on my last ball.

I won my other 8 ball and a 9 ball match. Just might stick with wood from now on.

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I started playing with a revo 12.9 a year ago. I then got a meucci carbon pro last summer and sort of played with one or the other ...mostly the meucci.

Last night i decided to use the black dot and must say i am very happy with how i played overall. Got out of position a few times but made every ball thst was makeable ...for my skill level lol.

All but one...hill - hill in 8 ball and made the classic mistake of missing an easy 8 after making a very hard ...for me shot on my last ball.

I won my other 8 ball and a 9 ball match. Just might stick with wood from now on.

The black dot shaft works great with Meucci butts, they really do, even though some azb members have hatred toward Meucci while not even playing them, which I find funny, but these shafts are awesome especially with a PP butts.

I have a few questions for you...have you ever tried the pro shaft? which is wood and slightly better than the black dot, if not I'd say give that a go.

the second question, you said that you switched between the Revo and the Meucci CF but mostly played with Meucci CF, and I want to know why that is, did you feel more comfortable with Meucci, or did you just pocket balls better? also, what is the diameter of the Meucci CF that you have?

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The black dot shaft works great with Meucci butts, they really do, even though some azb members have hatred toward Meucci while not even playing them, which I find funny, but these shafts are awesome especially with a PP butts.

I have a few questions for you...have you ever tried the pro shaft? which is wood and slightly better than the black dot, if not I'd say give that a go.

the second question, you said that you switched between the Revo and the Meucci CF but mostly played with Meucci CF, and I want to know why that is, did you feel more comfortable with Meucci, or did you just pocket balls better? also, what is the diameter of the Meucci CF that you have?

I tried a friends cue with a pro shaft. It just felt dead to me but you know hit is subjective .

I liked the revo and as a matter of fact some one asked to buy it last night and i told him it was not for sale . it was just takng a long time to adjust to the greater energy transfer it puts out. Seemed to be getting more out of position than i usually do lol.
But then again i never practice which would have sped up the adjustment process.

The meucci does not hit as hard as the revo and therefore faster to adjust to cue ball control. It hits closer to what a wood shaft does than the revo. Perhaps the ultra skin soft on the meucci is a factor also in how it hits. As you know ...changing a tip can make a difference in how a cue hits

Bottom line is i did not have a problem with the shotmaking on either the revo or carbon pro. just cue ball control.

I have no clue what the diameter of the meucci lol. I just told them i wanted a shaft with ring work to match my gambler. I will say it is smaller than the 12.9

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone use one of these metal shafts for one pocket? They seem ideal for rotation but deflection is a necessary evil in one pocket, right?

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
...deflection is a necessary evil in one pocket, right?
I don't get it. Since you can make the CB go the same direction with or without CB deflection (and any other kind of spin) by simply aiming there with the required adjustment, what's CB deflection necessary for?

pj
chgo

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
As for the Meucci Carbon Pro, the main thing that separates it's character from the other CF brands is that Meucci plugs both ends with wood instead of leaving a void. This gives the hit a familiar feel and sound to those switching from wood shafts. Also, for me, it was immediately available with an 11.75mm tip as one of it's options..

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Does anyone use one of these metal shafts for one pocket? They seem ideal for rotation but deflection is a necessary evil in one pocket, right?

I may very well be missing something because I am not yet a 1 pocket player but why would deflection be necessary or desirable for any game???

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
The latest, greatest, is not alway the BEST after the novelty wear off. Pool players are like hunters with their rifles. The people who do the customer barrel, trigger jobs, and other customization make a great living selling smoke & mirrors.

Most decent rifle like a Browning, Sako, Savage, Winchester, or Remington out of the box shoot better then the average nucklehed with a hunting license.

Someone is always trying to reinvent the wheel, tell you the new wheel is better. Sad truth is I would rather have the tallent of a great pool player like Mosconi, then my pick of a Cue from Steve Piesners collection. Cues, shafts, Balls, Glove are not magic, the Migician is the Migician with or with out fancy props.

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The latest, greatest, is not alway the BEST after the novelty wear off. Pool players are like hunters with their rifles. The people who do the customer barrel, trigger jobs, and other customization make a great living selling smoke & mirrors.

Most decent rifle like a Browning, Sako, Savage, Winchester, or Remington out of the box shoot better then the average nucklehed with a hunting license.

Someone is always trying to reinvent the wheel, tell you the new wheel is better. Sad truth is I would rather have the tallent of a great pool player like Mosconi, then my pick of a Cue from Steve Piesners collection. Cues, shafts, Balls, Glove are not magic, the Migician is the Migician with or with out fancy props.

You got quite the attitude towards these carbon shafts. Using your logic, why doesn’t Tiger Woods play with a steel shafted wood headed driver? Because of performance reasons. There are currently about 120+ different golf driver shafts out there, that sell quite well. Different kick points, weight, stiffness, and lengths. Different construction methods. Yet for pool it’s all hogwash? No it’s you being an ignorant twat.

Not all carbon shafts are designed to be low deflection. Not all carbon shafts are attempting to mimic wood. You’re just a salty ***** who can’t let reality in.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
I may very well be missing something because I am not yet a 1 pocket player but why would deflection be necessary or desirable for any game???

I remember reading a thread one onepocket.org about using carbon fiber shafts, or maybe just low deflection shafts in general, where someone mentioned that for them the standard shafts were easier to curve around a ball to take it out of the pocket, like coming in from behind at an angle I guess?

I have never really played with a standard shaft so I couldn’t say what the differences are but maybe that’s what he meant.

I like the title lol.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
You got quite the attitude towards these carbon shafts. Using your logic, why doesn’t Tiger Woods play with a steel shafted wood headed driver? Because of performance reasons. There are currently about 120+ different golf driver shafts out there, that sell quite well. Different kick points, weight, stiffness, and lengths. Different construction methods. Yet for pool it’s all hogwash? No it’s you being an ignorant twat.

Not all carbon shafts are designed to be low deflection. Not all carbon shafts are attempting to mimic wood. You’re just a salty ***** who can’t let reality in.

Tiger Wood is like one of the top 10 Golfers in the world, every little plus or minus effects his game. He plays with the best he can get, and he get paid endorsement money for using a certain brands. He wear Nike because he get paid very well to wear their brand, and has his own line of Nike clothing.

Trust me if you dressed me like Tiger, gave me his Golf equipment, I could not still play Golf at any level good enough to make the cut at a major tournment

Tiger could play really well with a borrow set of clubs, or a cheap set from Dicks Sporting Goods, if his got customs lost by airline personal.

Tiger ability makes Tiger, Tiger, not his equiptment. JMHO

TRUTH IS IS THE INDIAN, NOT THE BOW & ARROW THAT FEEDS A FAMILY. BOW 7 ARROW ARE NOTHING WITHOUT HUNTER.:grin:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tiger Wood is like one of the top 10 Golfers in the world, every little plus or minus effects his game. He plays with the best he can get, and he get paid endorsement money for using a certain brands. He wear Nike because he get paid very well to wear their brand, and has his own line of Nike clothing.

Trust me if you dressed me like Tiger, gave me his Golf equipment, I could not still play Golf at any level good enough to make the cut at a major tournment

Tiger could play really well with a borrow set of clubs, or a cheap set from Dicks Sporting Goods, if his got customs lost by airline personal.

Tiger ability makes Tiger, Tiger, not his equiptment. JMHO

TRUTH IS IS THE INDIAN, NOT THE BOW & ARROW THAT FEEDS A FAMILY. BOW 7 ARROW ARE NOTHING WITHOUT HUNTER.:grin:

The Indian/Arrow story is BS and it gets old hearing it.

A good player can pretty much play with anything, but even a good player plays better if they are playing with something that fits THEM best and they feel works best for THEM.

Nobody is going to play with a POS if they have options to play with something they think is better for them.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Are you saying that you believe in magic?

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member

A good player can pretty much play with anything, but even a good player plays better if they are playing with something that fits THEM best and they feel works best for THEM.

Nobody is going to play with a POS if they have options to play with something they think is better for them.

The Indians didn't go to Walmart to buy their bows.
They custom made them for themselves.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Very true.

Only a moron would play with lesser equipment on purpose.

I understand that not everyone can truly take advantage of the very best equipment but, that doesn't mean only the elite should use the best.

He must use a one piece cue with no tip or ferrule. I doubt he uses any of that pesky chalk either.

I'm an older player but, I'm not closed minded to improved equipment and knowledge just best it wasn't available in 1950.

Lol......I wonder if they own a car. If so, they should sell it and just use a horse and buggy.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member

You just contradicted yourself above. But let's keep it simple as your said a good player can pretty much pay with anything well.

Willie Mosconi did not have high tech in his lifetime, but people still talk about his ability to play pool very very well.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I hear ya.

But it's not one-sided - there are plenty of examples of assumed superior cue performance that are really just preference. That doesn't mean the cue isn't important - just that there's more than one possible reason.

pj
chgo

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Trust me if someone gave me the opportunity to drive a $500,000.00 Indy Car around the track at Indianapolis, this amature driver would not be able to get the car to preform, go fast around the track like a top driver from that circuit.

The skilled racer can get the top Porformance out of top race car, if some amature tried to accomplish the same thing. About all I would expecte is a very bad accident, or death from a Nucklehead trying to push the car beyond his skill level.