Golf vs. Pool - Revisited

Jimmy M.

Insomniac
Silver Member
Warning: Moderate profanity appears in this post.

I'd like to officially change my position on which game is more difficult. Golf is the most god-damned difficult game I've ever played.

sweatinNbettin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree. I have been playing this summer. Golf has pissed me off more then pool ever has. But the time off from pool has renewed my love for the game. If I can get off the golf course,I might play some.lol :D

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jimmy M. said:

I'd like to officially change my position on which game is more difficult. Golf is the most god-damned difficult game I've ever played.

LOL! :D I've never played golf in my previous life, but have been to a few events where I got to sit in the golf cart and enjoy the scenery! :)

So I go out to a driving range with Keith one day, hoping to see what this golf stuff is all about. I got a bucket of balls, a big tee and a little tee, and my own designated area. It took me 10 swings before I could even hit the thing, and then when I did make contact, I couldn't get it to go any further than 10 feet. I mean, you're trying to wham it with all your might so that it will ZING out into the greens, but the golf ball is so teeny tiny, it's hard to make a good hit. Talk about miscues! LOL! :p

JAM

Cane

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JAM said:
Talk about miscues! LOL! :p

JAM

Jennie, Yeah, but I never have miscued and hit a cue ball into the woods or water... besides, pool rooms are out of the sun and other elements, and you never have to walk more than 9 feet to your next shot.

I have up golf for sanity!!!

Bob

Jimmy M. said:

You probably say that in large part because you just aren't playing with a super-duper rocket launching made just for you driver by....................
(who else?) :D :D :cool:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cane said:
Jennie, Yeah, but I never have miscued and hit a cue ball into the woods or water... besides, pool rooms are out of the sun and other elements, and you never have to walk more than 9 feet to your next shot.

Ain't it the truth! :D I've gone to a couple of golf tournaments, and nobody prepared me for the walking of it all. I don't know how those pro golfers march up and down hills and valleys for 18 holes like a mountain goat. No wonder they have to have caddies! :p

JAM

B

Bruce S. de Lis

Most Pool I have seen is played INDOORS in a Cool place, Try Golf in PHX during Summer when it hits 117-122 DEGREES :D

fxskater

Ryan The Salmon Arm Lynn
Silver Member
I'm gonna disagree here. I have played pool for around 3 years, and golf maybe 5-10 times before last year, when i got a membership at a shitty little par 3 course. I golfed a ton last year, and now bet small $$$'s with my terrible swing against people that have been golfing for years. I can consistently take money at golf, even though my handicap is somewhere between 14-18, spotting people fairly big spots. I honestly in the last year have not played golf with 1 person that i would not gamble with. I have played about 10 guys in the last year at POOL that i KNOW i could not gamble with. Golf is harder if you consider PAR, average. Golf is easier, if you put your mind to it, and forget about par, judge yourself against other golfers. Also, for me, golf is entirely mental. You have to KNOW and VISUALIZE every shot and be 100% confident no matter how tough it seems. The reason people suck at golf is that a tough shot comes up, they decide to play it wrong, hit it bad, get frustrated, rinse, repeat. I bet most lousy golfers could take 5-10 strokes off there game by shipping the ball 10 yards in the right direction, every time they got in trouble, instead of attempting impossible shots, and hitting it further into the cabbage. Also, golf gives you the opportunity to see your opponents mistakes before you make the same one. Allowing you to choose the right times to be aggressive or layup. I dunno if maybe its just easier to gamble at, or if its easier all together, but i make more money gambling at golf than gambling at pool, with way less effort and time spent.

BRKNRUN

Showin some A$$
Silver Member
Jimmy M. said:

It's easier if you open at least one eye when you swing.... ;)

dreco

Registered
Went out on a golf course for the first time ever last month and I have to agree. I would definitely pay for some lessons before I even bother trying to play again. Its unbelievable how many times I swung at the ball without even hitting it, I even lost one of the irons in the lake, and one hole i was caught in a sand trap and because I wanted to hit the ball out i was there for a at least 10 minutes hitting sand up into the air.

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Golf ...

I gave Golf up over 25 years ago. Dad was a par golfer.
Big brother was a 1 handicap. I could never break 40.
Pissed me off. I enjoyed the pitch and putt courses more
than regular Golf. I caddied as a kid. Hated carrying the
bags (before everyone had wheels and carts).

After I got out of the Navy in '70, and was going to college
and working in a Pool place down in Houston, there was this
golf hustler that used to make $2-5,000 a week hustling
Doctors, Lawyers, and rich businessmen in golf. He also
liked to play Pool, and came to where I worked. He was
good for $500-$1,000 a month playing with him for quite
awhile. Sure helped out with college tuition and books.

Boro Nut

Moderrator
Silver Member
JAM said:
It took me 10 swings before I could even hit the thing, and then when I did make contact, I couldn't get it to go any further than 10 feet.

I, on the other hand, knocked the first ball I ever tried to hit on the driving range completely out of sight. The bloke in the stall it landed in never saw it coming either.

What I liked best about the driving range was the slow whoosh-thwack sounds rippling sedately along the stalls as each person played their shot. Very therapeutic. Then that little yellow tractor would drive on to scoop up the balls and it sounded like an Iraqi wedding on D-Day. Proper golf needs a moving target see.

Boro Nut

jacob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do not know who said it but:

A bad day at the golf course is better than a good day at the office!

Jimmy M.

Insomniac
Silver Member
jacob said:
I do not know who said it but:

A bad day at the golf course is better than a good day at the office!

That could be applied to most activities. Hell, I recently went to the doctor's office and it involved needles and a scalpel. It was better than the office though! ;)

jacob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess I tend to forget that most people do not like their jobs. I however am an exception! Lucky me!

doitforthegame

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jimmy M. said:

I think you end up playing golf to the level you play pool, give or take a little. I play golf once a week about 22-25 times per year and I am a 12 handicap.That probably figures to be a high C, low B...just the way I play pool. I must say though, if I practiced at golf as much as I practiced pool, there was a much bigger upside. I recently played golf after a 22 month layoff and never touched a club in between. I walked on to the course, teed it up, no practice shots, and shot an 88. If I go two weeks and fail to hit some pool balls, I am won't run a rack of 9 ball.....Bob

TommyT

Obsessed
Silver Member
Compare the amount of 100 ball runners in your city to the scratch golfers. You'll know what the difficult game is.
TommyT