Pro bridge hands

BeeMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just wondering,
Whenever I read instruction books on pool/snooker, when explaing the bridge hand, all books always say that the fingers need to be spread and grip the cloth, so as to create a solid bridge...

With the BCTV thing going on, I've been watching a lot, and a few pros use a bridge where they bend their middle and ring fingers underneathe their hand..

Just wanted to know, is there a benefit of this?? Just a comfort thing?? Or just something to look different??

Thanks guys

TurbulentVixen

Registered
Bridges...Basic Bridge! :)

BeeMan said:
Just wondering,
Whenever I read instruction books on pool/snooker, when explaing the bridge hand, all books always say that the fingers need to be spread and grip the cloth, so as to create a solid bridge...

With the BCTV thing going on, I've been watching a lot, and a few pros use a bridge where they bend their middle and ring fingers underneathe their hand..

Just wanted to know, is there a benefit of this?? Just a comfort thing?? Or just something to look different??

Thanks guys

Hey! BeeMan,
Doesn't look like anyone has responded, so I'll give you some pointer's from the book I've got, also, I can't say I've ever heard anything about gripping the felt with your spread fingers : \, or the cloth, as you might call it.
First, since the precise placement of cue tip on the balll is of major importance, it is critical to provide a solid and immovable base. Here is why the basic bridge, which is used in about 80% of your shooting is of great importance....this would be the fanned out spread of fingers, with the channeling of the fore finger and thumb for the cue to slide securely through, without pulling against the flesh, or allowing wavering in between this tunnel, causing you to shoot out of line.

You should do this bridge, til it comes naturally, without muscular strain. It is a precision bridge, one of the keys to precision shooting!!! :)
By, different positioning of your placed, spread fingers - you will find that you can Raise the Channel High for Follow Shots! Or, Drop the Channel Low, for Draw Shots! ... Some players, with big hands, for a Draw Shot, bend the middle finger under, this Will L@@k Like, a bent and arched middle finger, as it kinda curves and bowes under your channel, with the channel actually resting upon the middle finger!

When shooting over another ball, of course, use the V bridge to get proper elevation. Spread the fingers widely to make a firm base____, and bring up the thumb, to get more security for the cue stroke. ____
*** Always make sure to keep that arm tucked in like a chicken wing... lol ***

When the cue ball is close to the rail, it shows shooting between the first two fingers after folding back your thumb. However, making a channel with the bent under thumb, n your forefinger to keep your stroke accurate is necessary. And, I guess the rest of the ferrule, end shaft of cue rests on table.

My husband, is from England...and, of course, grew up playing Snooker!
This is the Awesomest pool game, and the 12 ft. snooker tables, are the Awesomest, Ever! I think!! ;) I couldn't believe the size of them table's, over there, as I have been there myself. (Also, they have pub pool, which is a teeny tiny table, with the hardest pockets, ever -- and, Tiny balls, the cue ball being not much bigger than a golf ball ) : D ... This, explains, why UK players, are so good!! LOL
Anyhow, what I'm getting at.... is his bridge. Which, I'll add is just like all the pro's that play snooker over there, if you get to watch it on BBC --is well, more or less a flat hand, bridge, channeling the cue, through the notch between your thumb n forefinger, kinda through tendons, actually.

He is very accurate! I have yet to feel comfortable, even attempting this kind of open flat handed bridge. lol But, I shall put this in my memory bank, and try it next time! Ok! Cheers m8! Hope this helped ya!

Yik! Yik! :) TV :)

Last edited:

BeeMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ok, well i assume you are tlking about a closed bridge...Lets just talk about the open bridge, what is the reason (if any) of bending the middle fingers under (like a devil, or "ROCK ON!!" symbol, hehe)..

TurbulentVixen

Registered
Prolly Fanciness! or Signature

BeeMan said:
ok, well i assume you are tlking about a closed bridge...Lets just talk about the open bridge, what is the reason (if any) of bending the middle fingers under (like a devil, or "ROCK ON!!" symbol, hehe)..

Most likely, to show off, or show fanciness, or show off their pinky diamond pool ring. LOL!

A

amateur

What is the purpose on bending your middle and ring finger during open bridge? Make it look cool?

There is another type of open bridge where they twist the thumb somewhat in the opposite direction to provide longer V channel with the index finger...many players do that. I've tried it, and it just looks ugly to me and feels totally unnatural with no advantage at all over classic V bridge.

Bluewolf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BeeMan said:
Just wondering,

Thanks guys

Personally, I think each player should try out different closed bridges until they find one that is comfortable to them and stable. Hands are different and what one's fingers will do another's will not, so I have seen lots of variations.

I use the open bridge a lot too. Then there is a rail bridge which also has to be practiced until one has a solid bridge there.

I have the most problem with my bridge when shooting over balls, because I have a slight hand tremor, so still working on that one.

Laura

henho

I Beat Fidelshnitzer
Silver Member
With the open bridge, you will occasionally see players tuck one or both middle fingers under their hand to gain height on the cb while maintaining stability. Rather than cupping their hand to strike the cb at the intended point, they bend the fingers under the hand, and keep more of the base of their palm planted on the table. Sometimes they will bend the fingers because they are bridging close to a ball, and can get the hand closer to the cb by getting a finger out of the way. The "Cory Deuel" follow bridge, where you balance on your pinky and pointer and tuck the other two fingers in, without keeping your palm on the table, is a matter of comfort and is usually reserved for shooting over balls or down at the cb.

As far as the closed bridge those who tilt their hand a bit towards themselves, and consequently have more of the right side (for right handers) of their palm on the table, will bend their middle finger in for comfort. Those who tilt the bridge hand a bit away from themselves rely more on the outside of the palm than the fingers for stability and will usually have all 3 bridge fingers out.

The fact is that most pros rarely give thought to their bridge unless they are facing an uncomfortable position or obstruction. They just bridge automatically and concentrate on delivering a good stroke.

C

CueHunter

I think the open bridge question has been addressed. I have a question. Have you ever noticed some people, on closed bridges, put their index finger onto their middle finger which seems very tight and stable. The other half or so of us put their index finger to the thumb. From what I have observed, 40%of the people use the index to middle and the rest of us (60% for the mathmatically challenged) go index to thumb. It is almost painful when I try to put my index finger onto my middle finger to shoot. I play just fine the other way, no need to change really, just curious.

silver2k

Registered
CueHunter said:
I think the open bridge question has been addressed. I have a question. Have you ever noticed some people, on closed bridges, put their index finger onto their middle finger which seems very tight and stable. The other half or so of us put their index finger to the thumb. From what I have observed, 40%of the people use the index to middle and the rest of us (60% for the mathmatically challenged) go index to thumb. It is almost painful when I try to put my index finger onto my middle finger to shoot. I play just fine the other way, no need to change really, just curious.

I put my index finger on my middle finger for my closed bridge. It isnt uncomfortable one bit, but I have very flexible and strong hands from playing guitar.

buddha162

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
amateur said:
There is another type of open bridge where they twist the thumb somewhat in the opposite direction to provide longer V channel with the index finger...many players do that. I've tried it, and it just looks ugly to me and feels totally unnatural with no advantage at all over classic V bridge.

That's how I bridge open-handed. It starts with a classic V-bridge, then I pinch my index finger with my thumb-tip, pressing down hard. This way, my hand feels locked and secure, with all fingers (including thumb) pressing down towards the cloth (the traditional V-bridge has 4 fingers pressing downwards, and your thumb pressing sideways).

I also find the increased length of the V-groove to be steadier, and with more contact area on my hand I feel more of the shaft (and thus more of the shot, if that makes any sense).

I started using this bridge very early on in my pool-playing lifespan, after seeing many pros in taiwan do it. I tried it, and liked it a lot. And it makes sense mechanically as well.

-Roger

sarahrousey

pro player
Silver Member
CueHunter, I have noticed that as well. I don't think there is any benefit in touching your index finger to your middle finger. Some of us are just incapabale of doing it. My hands are small so I cannot make that bridge comfortably. My index finger touches my thumb and is very sturdy.

As for the open bridge, I think it is just comfort for some people. Some people learned to make their bridge one way and have stuck with it. I don't think it really matters as long as it is sturdy.

We each have our own way of doing everything.
Sarah

dreco

Registered
I use the index finger on middle finger bridge, I saw someone on ESPN doing it a couple years ago and when I tried it out it might have been uncomfortable for 5 minutes but after that I just fell in love with it. For me its comfortable and holds the cue in place more securely but I know that a lot of people seem to be unable to do it comfortably but I think its inside some people's heads though, it just looks uncomfortable so some people can't get over that and think they can't do it. But I definitely think women have a harder time doing it though because of their smaller hands, whenever I'm trying to show a girl the different bridges they can use, the index finger on middle finger bridge is the one they struggle hardest with.

bruin70

don't wannabe M0DERATOR
Silver Member
BeeMan said:

probably an affectation they picked up watching other players, and thought it was cool..... like a lot of players use the closed bridge where they put the index finger on top of the middle finger in the shape of an arrow point. it just looks cool.