bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
if the cue ball is very close to the rail
and i have draw back for shape
i consistently over cut the ball
any advice
on how to shoot a JACKED UP draw shot???

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
I had trouble with that shot for a long time as well, and I approach them like I would a jump shot.

Some tips that helped me are:

Hold the cue higher up, near the top of the wrap with the grip hand.
Use a more closed stance (both feet nearly in line with the shot)
With the feet set in a closed a stance, line up the shot with flat cue to aim first, then carefully jack up while maintaining the same line.

I think it's just a matter of practice and getting a feel for the alignment. Good luck!

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I had trouble with that shot for a long time as well, and I approach them like I would a jump shot.

With the feet set in a closed a stance, line up the shot with flat cue to aim first, then carefully jack up while maintaining the same line.

I think it's just a matter of practice and getting a feel for the alignment. Good luck!

thanks for the advice
ill try it

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... With the feet set in a closed a stance, line up the shot with flat cue to aim first, then carefully jack up while maintaining the same line. ...
I think this is the most important part. Make sure your bridge doesn't move as you raise up.

mattp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you overcut when cutting to right and left then perhaps you tend to aim with a bit of outside english on most shots. When your jacked up it becomes masse. If that's the case, make sure you're exactly center ball.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With jacked-up shots, any flaws in your fundamentals will become pronounced.

This is an advanced shot and requires a great deal of practice. Take more time when you get down over the shot ---- double, triple and quadruple-check your alignment. You have to be perfect on this one. Your alignment can't be the slightest bit off.

Your bridge hand absolutely CAN NOT move at all during your stroke. You must secure it very firmly. Your back hand can not twist --- even the slightest bit --- during the stroke. Focus on keeping your shooting arm perfectly straight through the stroke. Prepare to hold your position extra long after you've hit the ball to insure that you don't move the slightest bit before impact.

That's how you have to think when preparing for and executing this shot.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you overcut when cutting to right and left then perhaps you tend to aim with a bit of outside english on most shots. When your jacked up it becomes masse. If that's the case, make sure you're exactly center ball.

I think this is the most important part. Make sure your bridge doesn't move as you raise up.
thanks for the advice

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
With jacked-up shots, any flaws in your fundamentals will become pronounced.

This is an advanced shot and requires a great deal of practice. Take more time when you get down over the shot ---- double, triple and quadruple-check your alignment. You have to be perfect on this one. Your alignment can't be the slightest bit off.

Your bridge hand absolutely CAN NOT move at all during your stroke. You must secure it very firmly. Your back hand can not twist --- even the slightest bit --- during the stroke. Focus on keeping your shooting arm perfectly straight through the stroke. Prepare to hold your position extra long after you've hit the ball to insure that you don't move the slightest bit before impact.

That's how you have to think when preparing for and executing this shot.

thanks fran

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Larry...It's the same stroke I've shown you. Aim level, then elevate the cue to the necessary angle and stroke through the CB to the your normal finish on the cloth. Many people make the mistake of stabbing the CB, or lifting the cue in the air after strike. You must have a better stroke shooting jacked up than you do with a level cue...you have much less margin of error.

Scott Lee

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
If you are "jacked up", the cue ball may be in the air at contact with the OB.
I just plain practice set shots with an elevated cue.

randyg

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Larry...It's the same stroke I've shown you. Aim level, then elevate the cue to the necessary angle and stroke through the CB to the your normal finish on the cloth. Many people make the mistake of stabbing the CB, or lifting the cue in the air after strike. You must have a better stroke shooting jacked up than you do with a level cue...you have much less margin of error.

Scott Lee
scott
thanks for the advice
i try to stroke thru the cue ball and be on a straight line
but im not all on line because of the angle
im alittle sideways with my upper/forearm

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you are "jacked up", the cue ball may be in the air at contact with the OB.
I just plain practice set shots with an elevated cue.

randyg

thanks for the advice

Last edited:

scottjen26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My two cents - sometimes your perspective of the shot is skewed due to the elevated nature of the stance. Especially if standing differently, more sideways, etc. And totally agree with other advice, what I do myself - double and triple check alignment, take my time getting into position, really focus on center ball, and try and keep bridge and everything else still.

With practice should be fairly easy to draw back the width of the table from even 1" away from the rail, and with more acceleration even the length of the table, although hopefully that doesn't come up too often... IMO accuracy on the shot is tougher than getting the required action.
Scott

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
My two cents - sometimes your perspective of the shot is skewed due to the elevated nature of the stance. Especially if standing differently, more sideways, etc. And totally agree with other advice, what I do myself - double and triple check alignment, take my time getting into position, really focus on center ball, and try and keep bridge and everything else still.

With practice should be fairly easy to draw back the width of the table from even 1" away from the rail, and with more acceleration even the length of the table, although hopefully that doesn't come up too often... IMO accuracy on the shot is tougher than getting the required action.
Scott

thanks scott

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

victorl
for me the part bolded has helped ALOT
THANKS...:thumbup:

RWOJO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jacked up draw

These shots are very difficult for most players. here's my 2 cents (or maybe 10 cents):

Is your head position over the cue the same as a normal shot. Typically people elevate the cue and (for right handed shooters) the cue moves further right (away from body). So you think you are aimed at one spot but you are really slightly off to start with.

Alignment: I find 3 points (center cue ball, a spot on the rail and a spot in front of the ball). When I elevate I double check if I am lined up on all 3 points.

Like RandyG said, if the cue ball jumps any and makes contact with the object ball in the rail, you are changing the contact point and now it will over cut the shot.

Shoot through the rail. If you really have to get draw and the cue ball is right against the rail, you can aim about 1/2 tip into the cushion when elevated and the cushions moves out of the way. This can help you get more spin without elevating as high.

Straight follow through. You should follow straight through toward your target and freeze. If your follow through is left, or right, or cue ends up in the air - more than likely you will not hit center ball and end up with a masse.

Perfectly Still body and head. Keep your body and head perfectly still all the way through the shot.