Black Delrin

Nuts4Tascarellas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have 68 pieces of black Delrin for sale. They are an inch and five - eighths in diameter, between 5 - 6 inches in length. $6.00 per piece, plus shipping. This stuff is heavy!

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Here are some photos

Attachments

• IMG_20170401_134619_01.jpg
    IMG_20170401_134619_01.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 561
  • IMG_20170401_134614_01.jpg
    IMG_20170401_134614_01.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 556
  • IMG_20170401_134611_01.jpg
    IMG_20170401_134611_01.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 549
  • IMG_20170401_134609_01.jpg
    IMG_20170401_134609_01.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 554
  • IMG_20170401_134607_01.jpg
    IMG_20170401_134607_01.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 653

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
Do you have a big enough lathe to turn this size stock down? My Hightower lathe can only handle 1 3/8 at most and even then it's tricky. Tommy D.

Nuts4Tascarellas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
price

Just to respond about the price - I bought this when I was just getting started. I got bit pretty hard on the shipping. This stuff is VERY heavy! So I paid dearly. I just have too much in it to sell it cheaper. I'm also known as a guy that would give some someone a piece if they were stuck and needed some. But - I'm selling this. As far as it being cutoffs - where would you ever have an application that you would need more than 3 inches of Delrin?

Thomas Wayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just to respond about the price - I bought this when I was just getting started. I got bit pretty hard on the shipping. This stuff is VERY heavy! So I paid dearly. I just have too much in it to sell it cheaper. I'm also known as a guy that would give some someone a piece if they were stuck and needed some. But - I'm selling this. As far as it being cutoffs - where would you ever have an application that you would need more than 3 inches of Delrin?

I've bought hundreds of feet of black Delrin rod - diameters from 2.5" all the way down to 5/16". In a gang lathe with a bar puller, the longer the stock the more efficient the operation. With 6-inch pieces I would have 2 inches of each piece that never got machined due to collet length and chuck clearance - so that's a 33% loss. With an 8-foot stick I still lose 2 inches (per stick), but that loss become irrelevant.

There's a reason off-cuts are usually heavily discounted. With the stock I have remaining I doubt I'll ever need to buy another inch of the stuff for the rest of my life. I assume that, like me, your job that consumed the bulk of the rod paid for ALL the rod you bought... right? I mean, that IS how a good businessman calculates material costs.

Now, what you paid for shipping is really irrelevant, since you're charging shipping in addition to full price (for what is essentially waste). Many plastic retailers - Laird Plastics, for example - will sell Delrin rod stock in lengths as short as 12 inches. So if someone is paying retail plus shipping anyway, they might find value in buying from a commercial supplier - and that's who I'm posting this info for.

TW

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

I've bought hundreds of feet of black Delrin rod - diameters from 2.5" all the way down to 5/16". In a gang lathe with a bar puller, the longer the stock the more efficient the operation. With 6-inch pieces I would have 2 inches of each piece that never got machined due to collet length and chuck clearance - so that's a 33% loss. With an 8-foot stick I still lose 2 inches (per stick), but that loss become irrelevant.

There's a reason off-cuts are usually heavily discounted. With the stock I have remaining I doubt I'll ever need to buy another inch of the stuff for the rest of my life. I assume that, like me, your job that consumed the bulk of the rod paid for ALL the rod you bought... right? I mean, that IS how a good businessman calculates material costs.

Now, what you paid for shipping is really irrelevant, since you're charging shipping in addition to full price (for what is essentially waste). Many plastic retailers - Laird Plastics, for example - will sell Delrin rod stock in lengths as short as 12 inches. So if someone is paying retail plus shipping anyway, they might find value in buying from a commercial supplier - and that's who I'm posting this info for.

TW

And you know this how? Anyone so inclined, could easily put a 6 inch piece between centers...No? Or drill a hole in the chuck end, and insert a dowel to chuck up, I would think. Your assumption that these pieces are waste is just that, an assumption. I am NOT trying to be combative, but you are essentially implying that N4T is attempting to scam other members by selling "essentially waste," at full retail price. I find that to be a bit nervy, but this is of course, just MY opinion, on this particular matter. You are certainly entitled to comment, as this is a forum, but to undermine someone else's thread is uncalled for IMHO. The members here are obviously free to determine whether or not there is any value in what N4T is selling, just as they would be free to examine any other. Maybe it is possible that the tone of your post just struck me wrong. If that is the case, you have my apologies.
Carry on.
j2

Last edited:

Nuts4Tascarellas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Delrin

Mr. Wayne - I have a lot of respect for you as a cuemaker. I am a newer cuemaker of about 2 years. I bought these Delrin pieces exactly as they are - in the same box that is shown. I don't have the equipment to pull it as you mentioned. These are not cutoffs for me - just usable material. I thought that someone else might have a use for them as well. If you have more of this than you need, it makes me wonder why you would bother to knock my post. Seems unnecessary. As I said before - I don't want a conflict with you. I just offered something for sale. I'm open to trades as well. I am just a small shop with 2 Hightower lathes, building cues because I love it.

Thomas Wayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mr. Wayne - I have a lot of respect for you as a cuemaker. I am a newer cuemaker of about 2 years. I bought these Delrin pieces exactly as they are - in the same box that is shown. I don't have the equipment to pull it as you mentioned. These are not cutoffs for me - just usable material. I thought that someone else might have a use for them as well. If you have more of this than you need, it makes me wonder why you would bother to knock my post. Seems unnecessary. As I said before - I don't want a conflict with you. I just offered something for sale. I'm open to trades as well. I am just a small shop with 2 Hightower lathes, building cues because I love it.

Not knocking your post, just found the price to be kinda high for what they are. Almost every day on this forum you can find someone asking rudimentary questions about "getting into" cuemaking. My personal opinion is that they can use as many different points of view as possible to guide them on their journey. Since I've been down almost every highway, street, back road, and trail of that particular adventure I feel qualified (and somewhat obligated) to comment on said adventure. I fully realize not everyone (or perhaps anyone) will appreciate my point of view.

6 pieces at $6 per piece = $36, and maybe at this stage in your journey you need that $36. If that's the case, I'm not knocking that either - as long as it's been, I can still remember my early days when $36 might have been the difference between me being able to buy another needed tool... or not. On the other hand, I've never regretted hanging on to some semi-obscure chunk of something that later turned out to be exactly the odd piece I needed to build some specialty jig (or whatever).

As the saying goes, "Everyone has an opinion and they're all a**holes"... or something like that.

TW

Nuts4Tascarellas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jig

I appreciate that. Yes - money is tight - I am still accumulating more tooling and machines as I go. I have made ring presses and some pin installation tools out of the Delrin, because epoxy and glue doesn't adhere to it. Whatever money I take in goes to another shaft square, turning blanks, etc. Just trying to get by - not over on anyone...