Votes: 10 58.8%
  • Other

Votes: 6 35.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wondering what's preferred by the pro's: gum tragacanth, beeswax, saliva, or something else?

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, I guess no one cares, or just doesn't care to say. Trade secret? Who knows.

I have been looking into this, not just in the pool cue world, but in leather finishing craft as well. Many use beeswax, but gum trag seems to be "the" material for this purpose. Can't imagine it's any different for burnishing a leather tip.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For my tip, I use some saliva and a piece of cardboard that I cut off a box.

I wet the sides of the tip and then rub the hell out of it with the cardboard until the sides of the tip are shiny.

tsp&b

Silver Member
Sanding sealer.. then pollish with a paper towel. caution do not build up heat when polishing

Ron Padilla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
on leather belts that I have made, I have had good results with gum trag and water and wax, gum trag will repel any die afterword but water wont you just need to find what works best for you.

Korsakoff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
While I’m sure no one does this in 2020, back in the day I would use a nice coat of saliva and press the tip into a cushion at about a 30 degree angle and briskly burnish while rotating the shaft. I remember the small blue clouds that formed from all the chalk dust in the cloth (9’ Gold Crowns).

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While I’m sure no one does this in 2020, back in the day I would use a nice coat of saliva and press the tip into a cushion at about a 30 degree angle and briskly burnish while rotating the shaft. I remember the small blue clouds that formed from all the chalk dust in the cloth (9’ Gold Crowns).

I do that every Sunday.