Top ten cueist currently alive

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
note : they don't have to be active.

In no order : Ronnie O Sullivan, Raymond Ceulemans, Earl Strickland, Shane Van Boening, Nick Varner, Stephen Hendry, Torbjorn Blomdahl, Efren Reyes, Mike Sigel and Jean Balukas

what are yours?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

In no order : Ronnie O Sullivan, Raymond Ceulemans, Earl Strickland, Shane Van Boening, Nick Varner, Stephen Hendry, Torbjorn Blomdahl, Efren Reyes, Mike Sigel and Jean Balukas

what are yours?
Nothing against Balukas but i'd put Buddy Hall in that list before her. I saw him play a lot in late 70's-early 80's and i can't picture anyone playing better than what i witnessed.

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
In my lifetime, Jose Parica and Buddy Hall may have possessed the greatest pool strokes of anyone not named Steve Mizerak. Not sure what your criteria are but Buddy and Jose are both alive. They'd be my first two on the pool player list.

I'll leave the three cushion and snooker selections to others more familiar with those players.

lakeman77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chinese 8 ball just paid $140,000 to the winner. I'd suggest the top 10 finishers might best on the planet. That's real money.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

what are yours?

Not sure what you mean by “cueist”
...some great players have lousy strokes

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I were to teach someone how to play the game today, and they asked me what their ideal stroke should look like- my answer would be that it can look like anything at all as long as it always has 3 elements: 1. it allows you to pocket balls, 2. It allows you to get where you need to be for your next shot, and 3. it allows you to do 1 and 2 very, very, consistently. That's it - strokes will vary from Alan Hopkins to Steve Mizerak; yet both in their prime is fairly close to an even match up in any game.

Jimbojim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really don't think I would put SVB on that list, he has a jerky-and-not-pretty-to watch stroke. He sure does get the job done though.

Ko Ping Chung has to be on that list.

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
Not sure what you mean by “cueist”
...some great players have lousy strokes

While not a "lousy stroke", Judd Trump certainly has a quirk or two ... and one of the most powerful strokes I have every seen :eek: I'd put him in the top 10.

Dave

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

what are yours?

I love the list. I’d add Siming Chen and Alison Fisher as well as Buddy Hall and Steve Davis.

Freddie <~~~ loves the list

paolo2144

Registered
If we are talking about how elegant and effortless a player's stroke looked then the likes of Ronnie O'Sullivan,Jimmy White, Stephen lee in snooker and likes of Earl Strickland, Jayson Shaw and Buddy Hall in pool.

However if we are talking about how technically sound & consistent a player's stroke was then that is different matter. I think Steve Davis at his peak, Shaun Murphy, Allison Fisher, Chris Melling & Siming Chen come to mind.

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No particular order

Ray Reardon
Steve Davis
Stephen Hendry
Mark Williams
John Higgins
Neil Robertson
Judd Trump
Mark Selby
Ronnie OSullivan
Jimmy White

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a very good list of folks...but i was mesmerized totally by the stroke one person...Joshua Filler.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Have to have Frederic caudron on any all-time cueist list Soo much technical knowledge and feel

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I did not have the fortune to see Harold Worst....How does he fit in this list?

Ooops....Currently alive...edit....

Last edited:

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
I did not have the fortune to see Harold Worst....How does he fit in this list?

Ooops....Currently alive...edit....

Yeah, he's not currently alive, but if we're just counting all-time he should be on everyone's top ten list.