best production cue?

ducky3653

Registered
anyone have any opinion on which is at the top of the production cues? im looking at saving up for a new cue since i just got a job but i dont really know what some of the good brands are.advice?

Frank_Glenn

Old Retired Guy
Silver Member
ducky3653 said:
anyone have any opinion on which is at the top of the production cues? im looking at saving up for a new cue since i just got a job but i dont really know what some of the good brands are.advice?

Joss, Pechauer, Schon, not necessarily in that order.
At a lower level would be Lucasi, Fury, McDermott, and then Player which is made by Lucasi, but has decals instead of inlays. Any of these should be fine, but the first three are the top 3 IMO, again in no particular order. Schon tends to be pricey, but they are nice. Both Joss and Pechauer will custom make one for you. Hope this helps.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i agree with Mr. Glenn.
a couple of things though.
first, i wouldnt buy a cue without seeing how it feels to you. make the effort to go and check it out first.

and second, not sure i would want to pay $300 to $700 for a production cue when you could get a custom cue for about the same price. a custom will somewhat hold its value.

if those prices are too high for you, recommend a Cuetec Cue. for less than $250 you can get a decent playing cue.

and remember, the tip is so very important on whatever cue you decide to go with.

just my $.02
DCP

ducky3653

Registered
well i was actually thinking a joss or a meucci for around 200 and maybe look on ebay too. i wasnt really thinking about spending alot i just want a good production cue without having to pay a few hundred more for a custom.

CaptainJR

Shiver me timbers.
Silver Member
In my area there is a guy that takes trade-in cues. See if you can find that guy in your area and or listen for an opportunity to get a used cue. Sometimes you can run across a very good deal. I got a $400.00 Lucasi for $180.00, I love it.

I definitely would not buy a cue that I haven't tried out at least a couple of strokes. Certainly not from ebay.

CaptJR

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
ducky3653 said:

Schon is the best production cue. For less money, McDermott, Viking, and Pechauer all have some affordable models.

Chris

dreco

Registered
I don't know about spending a lot of money on a production cue but I've shot with a couple of my friends' Schons and they are solid cues all round but at that price range you would have the options of getting a custom cue instead so thats something to think about. At a lower price range some of the best production cues I have used are Joss and Lucasi, they both have solid construction and hit good. Right now I'm having a cue made but I have been shooting with a Mali for the past 4 years, it was my second cue, I bought it from billiardwarehouse.com for about $120 and I must say that I have gotten more than my money's worth from that purchase. The feel and balance of it is perfect to me, but thats after 4 years of playing with it so take that for whatever its worth.

Purdman

Banned
TATE said:
Schon is the best production cue. For less money, McDermott, Viking, and Pechauer all have some affordable models.

Chris
Chris, how in the world can you leave Joss East out of there. Dan James makes one of the best production cues out there. I wouldn't touch a Meucci, unless it was at least 7 years old, with a 10 foot pole.JMHO
Purdman :cool:

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jerry Olivier has some decent models, for $500 or less i believe. you wont find a custom for $200 to $300, i dont believe.

Jerry has a website, and one that caught my eye was
Model 03, Cue-3-1 i think, for $450. his address is JOCUES.Com i believe

you might check out EBay, you might find something for a lower price. and remember, you can send it to a cuemaker and have it tweaked to your specs just a little also.

DCP

ducky3653

Registered
well i dont think i want to spend that much so i think im gonna save up and get a joss or something like one. i hit with my friends and i really liked the feel but i dont know yet..........pool cues can get pretty expensive lol

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Donald A. Purdy said:
Chris, how in the world can you leave Joss East out of there. Dan James makes one of the best production cues out there. I wouldn't touch a Meucci, unless it was at least 7 years old, with a 10 foot pole.JMHO

I am laughing that you even noticed. Very astute!

I didn't want to say it, but I don't like Joss cues really, although I have a lot of respect for Dan Janes. I had a couple (I still have an old one). I didn't like the fat shafts and the rounded points/inlays. They were just not my favorites. Some of their lower end cues, which this young man will end up with, are mass produced and are being made, I believe, overseas.

Here's a pretty hot McDermott on the cheap if the kid's interested:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=21212&item=3690928908&rd=1

Chris

Last edited:

TheFish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My first "pro" cue was a falcon. In fact, one of my fave cues today is my custom falcon (its a preproduction falcon). With a falcon it fits your price range, and if you ever want to upgrade, get a predator shaft and you are essentially playing with a predator cue as I know falcon makes predator butts (not sure if they still do now).

As for other brands, i agree with the majority. Joss, and Schon near the top of the range. I have never played with a Pechauer so cant comment What i cna say is that I really love meuccis, but its a personal preference. I tend to like the more flexible shaft makes me feel pretty confident drawing and topping..but overall, with your budget I think the Joss is something you can find a good deal on for ebay, as well as Falcon.

Purdman

Banned
TATE said:
I am laughing that you even noticed. Very astute!

I didn't want to say it, but I don't like Joss cues really, although I have a lot of respect for Dan Janes. I had a couple (I still have an old one). I didn't like the fat shafts and the rounded points/inlays. They were just not my favorites. Some of their lower end cues, which this young man will end up with, are mass produced and are being made, I believe, overseas.

Here's a pretty hot McDermott on the cheap if the kid's interested:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=21212&item=3690928908&rd=1

Chris

You can always have the shaft tapered to your prefrence.

01rkclassic

Cell - 937-554-5637
Silver Member
low priced custom cue

ducky3653 said:
well does anyone know some of the lower priced custom cue makers and if they have a website or not?

www.kornelepoolcues.com
steve was taught by verl horn and makes a great cue.he's also a great person to deal with.i believe he has cues starting in the 250 to 300 range and they are great playing cues.tell him art sent ya! :D

Last edited:

DawgAndy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Money well spent

I think jacoby makes real nice cues. They cover about any price range too. indyq.com has some on sale now and onthehill.net usually has a good selection. Other than that I'm in agreement with Joss, Schon and the usual suspects. Does Helmsetter still make a decent cue?

Dawg

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Helmstetter makes a great cue in that price range. I have owned two and both played extremely well. Obviously this is only my opinion but for around 200 I would certainly consider one.

Dave