Temperature in your pool room

Eagleshot

Mark Nanashee
Silver Member
I have been burning up while playing recently. the rooms i generally go to will not put the thermostat below 73 degrees. which means at the table it's probably between 76 - 80 degrees.

I am burning up even while practicing so i know it's not just the action or tournaments heating me up.

has anyone else ran into this and come up with a solution?

The Saw

Juicy Pop in 2016!
Silver Member
I have been burning up while playing recently. the rooms i generally go to will not put the thermostat below 73 degrees. which means at the table it's probably between 76 - 80 degrees.

I am burning up even while practicing so i know it's not just the action or tournaments heating me up.

Yes, yes I have.... They won't change. Go to the store and buy a fan. Pack it in your trunk and take it in with you when you go in, plug it in and have it blowing on your chair.

The Saw

Juicy Pop in 2016!
Silver Member
The thermostat is set at a comfortable 69F in my favorite pool room.

Poolrooms in the south get it and reap the rewards from it.... Most up north try to get stingy with the AC and are mad at their money.

Houstoer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
they make hankerchiefs that you soak in the water for awhile then wear around your neck. keeps you nice and cool for a long while. they sell them in sports authority here. can't remember the exact name of them though. might be worth a shot.

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member

I would guess this is more of a humidity issue than a temperature problem. I had this problem in my basement. It would be nice and cool (65 to 67) but after 45 minutes of playing I would be sweating buckets. I got a dehumidifier and that took care of the problem pretty quick.

A fan can also help allot. It can't hurt to ask them for a fan. Explain the situation to them, a good room owner would do what they can to keep you at the tables.

berko

Aggressively passive
Silver Member
Funny, I have the opposite problem.

My table is in the basement of an old house with retrofiited a/c. In order th keep the upper floors comfortable, the basement hovers around 62 degrees. Really nice when coming in from the heat, but after a while I need to put on a sweat shirt.

JasonCrugar

analysis paralysis
Silver Member
Poolrooms in the south get it and reap the rewards from it.... Most up north try to get stingy with the AC and are mad at their money.

Try living in Az fellas. They run swamp coolers to try to save money ( which dont work after a certain degree of hot as fck) and all it becomes is a freakin sauna. Even the guys with hand panties get that nice shriek of pool cues sticking to their hand. I dont play pool from july til october, unless its late at night. Even then its brutal. (FYI its 100 at 10 pm here)

thintowin

thin2win
Silver Member
become friends with the room owner or whoever runs the place, be a good customer (i.e. spend more money than the water you usually ***** about paying a dollar for and ...), and let him and or her observe the problem and they will probably click the thermostat to a cool 69 degrees. If that doesn't work find a different room to call home.

Rin

頑張ります
Silver Member
Try playing with 100 degree, at my home we don't have ac and now it's summer, I practice at home 6-7 hours a day with this heat:eek:

thintowin

thin2win
Silver Member
why did they (somebody) auto wack my use of the word B$$tch? Isn't this word in the dictionary? I think I'm p#@!ed? what the f^&*ed! Let me hire a lawyer and i'll own this site. wait a minute who would want to own this site? aw forget it!

Eagleshot

Mark Nanashee
Silver Member
become friends with the room owner or whoever runs the place, be a good customer (i.e. spend more money than the water you usually ***** about paying a dollar for and ...), and let him and or her observe the problem and they will probably click the thermostat to a cool 69 degrees. If that doesn't work find a different room to call home.

I spend 30 hrs a week in the first room i was talking about.

the second was a recent tournament ( i only go to this room once every month or two). I mentioned the heat to an employee and the response i received was "It's only hot if you're playing" - i guess they want you to come to their room, sit and watch tv.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member

I think poolroom owners/managers have to rank near the top of the list of business proprietors that keep the building too hot during the summer months (at leasst most of the ones I've been in). I wonder if it's because they think they'll sell more beer if the joint is hot inside???

And......I always hear the same excuse for the hot building: "One of the units is out so they are just gonna keep the other two working at higher settings to keep the place from getting too hot." Only problem is.....it already IS too hot!!! It was 87 degrees inside my local hall when I walked in there last Monday (with humidity). Everybody was complaining, even my wife who NEVER gets too hot (she actually played with her shoes off). Trust me, if my wife thinks it's hot, then it's VERY hot. I even heard the age-old "unit out" excuse, but the very next night it was very comfoprtable in there. Go figure.

Maniac (ya gotta spend money to make money)

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Yes, yes I have.... They won't change. Go to the store and buy a fan. Pack it in your trunk and take it in with you when you go in, plug it in and have it blowing on your chair.

Exactly what we did!!!

Maniac (now in a dog-fight with other fan-bringers for the few wall sockets to be had)

Red Shoes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well...let me give you a pool room owners side. First, yes there are probably "rooms" that can make their rooms cooler in summer but elect to save a few dollars by keeping the temp set higher. Most pool rooms "rent" their space. Most pool rooms in rented space are in "older buildings". Older buildings don't have the ultra modern insulation and HVAC units that new construction has. When pool rooms have "big events" (tournaments) or are busy, they can get many more people per sq. foot than what the OLD SYSTEMS are set up to handle. If you have a lot more people than normal or "God Forbid" loose one of your AC units...IT GETS WARM. Last year I had a Bank Pool Tournament on a summer weekend that turned out to be the warmest day in Chicago in decades. 150+ people in the room (6000 sq. feet), doors opening every 10 seconds, 108 degrees outside, char grill, deeps fryers making food back by the bar....let's just say it was warm.....Of course you have one "NIT WIT" who asked..."Do you have the heat on"??? Lets just say I think most room owners keep their rooms as comfortable as possible (winter and summer) for the players regardless of electric or gas costs. I have to go to bed now to get up early and get to the pool room to get the AC units fired up....I heard its going to be a HOT one tomorrow.

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
Try living in Az fellas. They run swamp coolers to try to save money ( which dont work after a certain degree of hot as fck) and all it becomes is a freakin sauna. Even the guys with hand panties get that nice shriek of pool cues sticking to their hand. I dont play pool from july til october, unless its late at night. Even then its brutal. (FYI its 100 at 10 pm here)

Yeah, but it's a dry heat which doesen't even feel that hot.

In Houston, it's 103 degrees with 80% humidity.

That's real heat

Schwinn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bringing a small fan is a great idea. I have coped with this by wearing a ball cap to keep sweat off my face. The bright table lights make it warmer.