Crazy planned shot with unplanned resuts

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Made this planned shot with a totally unplanned result that caused all the players that saw it jump out of their seats last night LOL

This is the layout I had, 4 was maybe 1/8th inch from the 9, lined up dead to pocket maybe 5-6 inches from the hole. I was hooked behind balls so could not just make the shot EDIT.. sorry, make the shot and have the other guy run out since I felt better than the guy could not run the rack than me not leaving him a hit on the 4 with a safe, did not want to play safe since the table had funky rails and speed. I figured the off angle bank on the 3 to the side was as tough as trying to bank the 3 to the 4 and make the 9. So that's the shot I took.

EDIT --- the 8 is in the wrong spot here, it's closer to the rail. EDIT again, the cueball was closer to the 5, near the line, someone said they'd cut the 3 but from where it was actually on my shot, no way of doing that. I diagramed it a bit off.

picture.php

Here is what happened. The 3 went off the side rail after I hit it, was going at the 4, I thought, game over, it will hit the 4, 9 goes in. Yep, made a nice shot there.

Did I make the 9? Nope, the 3 kicked the 4 cross corner, the 3 caromed off the 4, somehow totally missing hitting the 9 which was barely a ball from the rail and went in the other corner, cueball ended up perfect on the 5 for the run out. There was barely a ball width between the rail and the 9 and maybe 1/8th of an inch of space between the 4 and 9, yet the 9 never moved. Both me and the guy I was playing had to walk away from the table for a second after that one LOL and the rest of the guys in the tournament were stunned over what happened.

picture.php

This is a shot that I won't forget till I get senile.

Last edited:

Agent 99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Made this planned shot with a totally unplanned result that caused all the players that saw it jump out of their seats last night LOL

This is the layout I had, 4 was maybe 1/8th inch from the 9, lined up dead to pocket maybe 5-6 inches from the hole. I was hooked behind balls so could not just make the shot, did not want to play safe since the table had funky rails and speed. I figured the off angle bank on the 3 to the side was as tough as trying to bank the 3 to the 4 and make the 9. So that's the shot I took.

EDIT --- the 8 is in the wrong spot here, it's closer to the rail.

picture.php

Here is what happened. The 3 went off the side rail after I hit it, was going at the 4, I thought, game over, it will hit the 4, 9 goes in. Yep, made a nice shot there.

Did I make the 9? Nope, the 3 kicked the 4 cross corner, the 3 caromed off the 4, somehow totally missing hitting the 9 which was barely a ball from the rail and went in the other corner, cueball ended up perfect on the 5 for the run out. There was barely a ball width between the rail and the 9 and maybe 1/8th of an inch of space between the 4 and 9, yet the 9 never moved. Both me and the guy I was playing had to walk away from the table for a second after that one LOL and the rest of the guys in the tournament were stunned over what happened.

picture.php

NO ... You will remember that one even after you get senile!

nginear

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

This is the layout I had, 4 was maybe 1/8th inch from the 9, lined up dead to pocket maybe 5-6 inches from the hole. I was hooked behind balls so could not just make the shot EDIT.. sorry, make the shot and have the other guy run out since I felt better than the guy could not run the rack than me not leaving him a hit on the 4 with a safe, did not want to play safe since the table had funky rails and speed. I figured the off angle bank on the 3 to the side was as tough as trying to bank the 3 to the 4 and make the 9. So that's the shot I took.

EDIT --- the 8 is in the wrong spot here, it's closer to the rail.

picture.php

picture.php

You mean that's not the way everyone would play that?

nine o nine

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Love the shot. When I read it just now I thought you wrote "till I get sterile"..........could be me getting senile.... (already sterile). Mitch

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
3 ball bottom left, cut it all the way up in the corner, cue ball goes 2 rails up table for an easy combo !!!!

But I like the way you shot it better :)

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would have just made the combination on the 9, but to each his own. ;)

I figured if I made a double rail kick-carom-combo it would REALLY scare the pants off the other guy.

It was actually a pretty good shot outside of the weirdness, the 3 hit right where I thought it would on the rail give or take 1/4 inch.

That whole tournament up till the finals I was pulling stuff out of my butt, I would play shape, hit the ball, which rolled up for a perfect combo on the 9, things like that. One of those nights where you have to feel bad for what you are doing to your opponent even though you are happy to be winning.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
3 ball bottom left, cut it all the way up in the corner, cue ball goes 2 rails up table for an easy combo !!!!

But I like the way you shot it better :)

The shot was a bit different from what I diagramed, there was a much sharper cut on the 3 than I diagramed, the cueball was about on the line. There were balls in between the 4-9 that prevented me from just shooting them in. I was pretty close to a ball, and there was a ball in between so for me to just shoot the 4-9 and give him ball in hand to run the rest of the rack I would have had to shoot a 2 ball combo to hit the 4. That was my first idea since he was a good shot, but I liked my chances of him not running out what was on the table.

I know I looked over the table for a good safe but nothing much was there that did not have a good chance of him making the hit on the 4 on his turn or me selling out a return save and then I'll be left with having to kick or give him ball in hand on that combo. Nothing on the table was any easier than just going for a bank-combo since the balls were pretty much wired.

mojoatomic

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cool shot and sounds like a great night - it'll be one of those that makes it to your personal "highlight reel"

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it was a great shot if you're playing APA nine ball where you play by points. Making the nine you would have only gotten two points. Now you're in position to run the table and get more points. Good thinking in avoiding making the nine ball.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congrats on the slop.

There is different levels of slop. I knew the 3 was going to the 4-9. I knew if I hit just about any part of the 4 the 9 would go.

What I did not know was that the bank of the second rail would kick the 4 in, not touching the 9, or that the 3 would go past the 9, again without touching it.

The 3 hit exactly in the middle of the area I was aiming at, that was no accident. I hit further up the rail, it cuts into the 4, 9 goes in. I hit away from the rail, it hits the 4 directly and 9 goes it.

I actually was TOO accurate as I hit exactly in the middle of the two.

Last edited:
I actually was TOO accurate as I hit exactly in the middle of the two.

Ha! Funny stuff. Too accurate! That's a riot.

Slop is slop, I'd never go bragging about something I didn't intend happening.

I won a 9-ball tourney last night, I had a couple shots that were slop (oh, wait, we don't have to call them 'slop' anymore, they are now 'unplanned results of planned shots') that were instrumental to two games. I apologized to my opponents.

As it turned out, neither of the games were instrumental to my win.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know exactly what you mean hangthe9. Sometimes I say "if I go a little long I'll shoot it in the side, and if I come up a little short, I'll shoot it in the corner" but then I end up in the dead center of that zone and neither shot is easy.

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the 3 kicked the 4 cross corner, the 3 caromed off the 4, somehow totally missing hitting the 9 which was barely a ball from the rail and went in the other corner, cueball ended up perfect on the 5 for the run out.

the old cross-corner-bank, kick a ball in one corner and carom the OB into the other corner, ..................a good shot to have in your bag, that shot comes up all the time.....:grin-square:

Agent 99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congrats on the slop.

That's not slop .. It's pay back time.

Pay back for when you walk up to the table after your opponent's horrible break left nothing but clusters.

Pay Back for the time you rifled one into a corner and hit hits the back of the pocket and shoots right back on to the table.

Pay Back for the time I was sharked by a broad who pulled her top below her boobies just as I started to shoot.

What is slop in some games, is just plain old Karma coming around in 9 ball !!

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ha! Funny stuff. Too accurate! That's a riot.

Slop is slop, I'd never go bragging about something I didn't intend happening.

I won a 9-ball tourney last night, I had a couple shots that were slop (oh, wait, we don't have to call them 'slop' anymore, they are now 'unplanned results of planned shots') that were instrumental to two games. I apologized to my opponents.

As it turned out, neither of the games were instrumental to my win.

That was not bragging, just a very very very low chance of the shot happening the way it did, it cause a bit of a commotion and I wanted to share. Did I get your sister pregnant and then run away or something? You seem a bit grumpy.

Oh I see now, you were the guy that was saying thing were not straight unless they were straight enough to be used to measure straight in a laboratory. Then you said I should look up what straight is since I did not know, and I did but you did not seem to like that either. You're just being a jerk then because I did not agree with you. Got it. There is a nice feature here called Ignore a user, I'll show you how it's used in a second.

Last edited: