SightRight Coaching Method

bud green

Dolley and Django
Silver Member
I was just looking at the story about the snooker world championship final and it mentioned that Mark Williams was playing pretty bad and then tried the SightRight coaching method for snooker.

Can't argue with his results since then.

Anyone here familiar with it at all? To be honest, I don't pay attention to the majority of the aiming threads,etc...but I would like to know more about this particular coach's approach.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
In a nut shell it's about finding and aligning to your vision centre and then getting down on the shot properly.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was just looking at the story about the snooker world championship final and it mentioned that Mark Williams was playing pretty bad and then tried the SightRight coaching method for snooker.

Anyone here familiar with it at all? To be honest, I don't pay attention to the majority of the aiming threads,etc...but I would like to know more about this particular coach's approach.

I took a lesson from an instructor who teaches it. Most players view the shot line from an offset position and come across the line when getting into stance. SightRight is about starting on the correct line and staying there while going down. Easier said than done.

I would not call it an aiming system. Just putting your body in the correct place to start with.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In a nut shell it's about finding and aligning to your vision centre and then getting down on the shot properly.

Isn't that a normal way of teaching and how your mechanics should be? Not that a lot of players actually learn this, but any instructor worth his Kamui chalk would be working with the student to find out how they best see the table.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Isn't that a normal way of teaching and how your mechanics should be? Not that a lot of players actually learn this, but any instructor worth his Kamui chalk would be working with the student to find out how they best see the table.

Lessons I have taken from different instructors spent most of the time on where you are when down in your stance. Not the best to place to start from prior to going down.

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It definitely works for me :)

plague

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i'm a sightright-trainer, since 8 months
it has been very insightful

its easier said than done, to do the sighting and aligning properly
players may think to be online, but are terrified when they see the flaw in their own perception

big differences on left and right side

lot of value working on that part of your game

99/100 players of line

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i'm a sightright-trainer, since 8 months
it has been very insightful

its easier said than done, to do the sighting and aligning properly
players may think to be online, but are terrified when they see the flaw in their own perception

big differences on left and right side

lot of value working on that part of your game

99/100 players of line

Amen:thumbup:

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is that clear plastic alignment piece part of the process?

If you mean the one in my picture then yes,it is part of the process;)

Attachments

• 2018-05-08-21-36-28-900x1200.jpg
    2018-05-08-21-36-28-900x1200.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 1,654

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Minnesota?

I'm interested but live in Minnesota, USA. Is there anyone in this area that is familiar with this program?

Also, I checked out the gadget on the above pooldawg link but couldn't tell what it did. Can anyone elaborate? Is there a way I could do phone lessons?

Just curious. I feel certain types of shots cause me to lose my sighting (elevated shots, etc) and would like to work on this. Thank you.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I checked out the gadget on the above pooldawg link but couldn't tell what it did. Can anyone elaborate?
It's a smaller, stick-mounted version of the thing in post 13 above. When the lines on the two levels appear to be one unbroken line, then (theoretically) your "vision center" is where it needs to be (directly over the stick) in order to see most accurately where your stick is pointed.

pj
chgo

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's a smaller, stick-mounted version of the thing in post 13 above. When the lines on the two levels appear to be one unbroken line, then (theoretically) your "vision center" is where it needs to be (directly over the stick) in order to see most accurately where your stick is pointed.

pj
chgo

Which to me seems to be pretty useless, as it is at the joint and not visible when you are down on a shot. It boils down to an alignment aid for standing behind the shot. The starter instructions that the manufacturer/inventor provide confirms this as the intent behind it. Video on this link.

http://www.rileyleisure.ca/riley-sightright-UK-CA-NZ-AU

The reason I say that I feel it is useless is, that once you finally are able to "see the line", you still have to get your body out of the way, and bend into your shooting stance, all the while maintaining the cue in perfect alignment. Once you are down on the shot, the SightRight is no longer in play. You cannot use it to double check your alignment, as it is out of your field of vision.

On an interesting note, they also make a $316.97 version that is a full 30" cue butt.
http://www.rileyleisure.ca/products/riley-sightright-extension
On their own sales ad, they say

30" Extension With Integrated SightRight Technology Included To Enhance Rest Play

So..... for almost 10 times the cost of the mid joint extension, you can have a shiny red cue butt, with an empty spirit level vial containing "SightRight technology" inlaid near the joint to help when using the bridge.

egress-440x293.jpg

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I have trained with the older version of sight-right,this new one in the link works definitely as well,its the same principle. Sight right is one of the best aim training devices ever,maybe THE best :) The main thing is to start believing in it as the proper image is so damn far from what you percieve as the right one...but once it "clicks" the results are amazing. here you can see what sight-right is about: https://youtu.be/5mbrOZ21Sf4 If you want to skip marketing crap jump directly to 1:40 where the actual technology is:thumbup:

Meucciplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember an older thread where someone suggested that you can also get this for free: Just use some cardboard glued together so you have that step and draw a straight line on it. Glue that to your cue with some easily removable glue like Elmer's and voila ....

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember an older thread where someone suggested that you can also get this for free: Just use some cardboard glued together so you have that step and draw a straight line on it. Glue that to your cue with some easily removable glue like Elmer's and voila ....

Yes, thats true, it is very easy and cheap to create sight-right knock-off. But having a sight-right gadget is only a part of whole equation ;) The other part is actually to know what exactly to do with it to use it efficiently :)