Any ideas for using a laser pointer for aiming practice?

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
For contact point aiming that'd be useful.
It's also useful for teaching the simple geometry of the shot (like ghost ball), and another geometric data point for your subconscious number cruncher - even if it isn't consciously used for aiming.

pj
chgo

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As the use of lasers evolve I believe their use will shorten the learning curve. The naysayers will still be hitting a million balls trying to improve.

Saturated Fats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the only true time a laser would be useful for aiming is if the cb were clear (see through) and the laser shot straight from the center of the tip. Then you would be able to see straight through ccb (or its vertical axis at least) all the way to where you intend to send the cb. This would allow you to see exactly how your alignment fits with where you feel like your're aiming. But I've never seen a perfectly clear cb. If there is one I'd to have it. If there isn't one, somebody please make one. I have several ideas for its use. :D

Wouldn't the clear CB bend the laser?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
About 1995 a company that makes laser sights for firearms developed something for pool called the "Laser Shark". It clamped to your own cue stick between the grip and the joint. It projected a vertical fan-shaped beam.

The best setup was shooting towards a white wall. The beam would show two stroke defects well: side-to-side motion and twisting motion. It was not particularly accurate for aiming since there was no good way to align the beam with the exact axis of the cue stick -- it might be useful for aiming short shots to get the concept of fractional ball aiming across. From an instructor's perspective, it was marginally useful for some students' problems.

A main downside was that the device weighed several ounces which changed the feel of the cue. Also, since it mounted above the stick, it tended to rotate the stick to the hang-down position.

Another problem is that it cost $100.

It would be possible to improve the product. The battery could be below the cue stick to eliminate the rotation problem. It could be a lot lighter if a different mounting system was used. I imagine it would be possible to sell a dedicated cue with the laser permanently mounted accurately and the battery inside the cue for about $100.

Some of the hobby laser pointers come with a variety of lenses including a fan-beam lens.

fan-tum

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
About 1995 a company that makes laser sights for firearms developed something for pool called the "Laser Shark". It clamped to your own cue stick between the grip and the joint. It projected a vertical fan-shaped beam.

The best setup was shooting towards a white wall. The beam would show two stroke defects well: side-to-side motion and twisting motion. It was not particularly accurate for aiming since there was no good way to align the beam with the exact axis of the cue stick -- it might be useful for aiming short shots to get the concept of fractional ball aiming across. From an instructor's perspective, it was marginally useful for some students' problems.

A main downside was that the device weighed several ounces which changed the feel of the cue. Also, since it mounted above the stick, it tended to rotate the stick to the hang-down position.

Another problem is that it cost $100.

It would be possible to improve the product. The battery could be below the cue stick to eliminate the rotation problem. It could be a lot lighter if a different mounting system was used. I imagine it would be possible to sell a dedicated cue with the laser permanently mounted accurately and the battery inside the cue for about $100.

Some of the hobby laser pointers come with a variety of lenses including a fan-beam lens.
Have you seen many C- to B++ players with long term problems in either aiming or stroking who had no idea where their problem was, actually improve to,say, B++ and A, respectively, by practicing hard with "correct" methods? I think my game is B- with a C- stroke, and all the practice in the world hasn't changed anything in 20-30- yrs.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... I think my game is B- with a C- stroke, and all the practice in the world hasn't changed anything in 20-30- yrs.
Have you ever considered having someone who knows how to evaluate mechanics and fundamentals evaluate yours?

fan-tum

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have you ever considered having someone who knows how to evaluate mechanics and fundamentals evaluate yours?
Yes. I forget his name, but he was a former pro player I saw play excellent 14.1 in a tourney in Burbank in either late 60's or early 70's, and I asked him for a 30 min. lesson when we were at Alex's room in Rancho Cuc. about 20 yrs. ago. Anyway he saw nothing wrong with my stroke or mechanics. I'm aware that not all pro's are naturally good instructors.
2 days later....just thought of the pro's name...Wayne Norcross.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes. I forget his name, but he was a former pro player I saw play excellent 14.1 in a tourney in Burbank in either late 60's or early 70's, and I asked him for a 30 min. lesson when we were at Alex's room in Rancho Cuc. about 20 yrs. ago. Anyway he saw nothing wrong with my stroke or mechanics. I'm aware that not all pro's are naturally good instructors.
Many good players do not remember how they got to be good other than HAMB nor do they know how to watch for problems with fundamentals. A self-video would be a start.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I was a test pilot for Dufferin for a laser cue....
...it was a good set up....the tip and ferrule housed the unit...
...laser came through a small hole in the middle of the tip.

What it could do for your aiming, I have no idea....
...aiming is so much more complicated than that.

What it did tell me was that my piston stroke wasn’t as level as I thought it was.

I told Dufferin not to market it.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Wouldn't the clear CB bend the laser?

Yes, which is why I don't think lasers will ever be very truly useful when it comes to learning how to aim, unless someone can figure out how to deal with or redirect refraction, which could probably be done digitally, a magical cb that when you hit it with a laser it automatically triggers a path along its diameter to reflect the light straight through. Regardless, I'd like to have a clear cb for other ideas that have nothing to do with lasers.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was a test pilot for Dufferin for a laser cue....
...it was a good set up....the tip and ferrule housed the unit...
...laser came through a small hole in the middle of the tip.

What it could do for your aiming, I have no idea....
...aiming is so much more complicated than that.

What it did tell me was that my piston stroke wasn’t as level as I thought it was.

I told Dufferin not to market it.

Some company did put out a cheap laser-tipped cue a few years back. It was really only good for stroke practice. Shooting with it was pointless because the laser would just dance around the face of cb while stroking. The vertical spread Bob described is a good idea, provided the user understands all the feedback they get from it.

RunOutRay

Here is my design and implementation of a laser contact point trainer. I was having trouble visualizing the correct contact point on certain shots, like back cuts to the pocket, so I designed and made this trainer.

It has adjustable timing circuits to allow on and off time adjustment of the laser beam. The intensity of the spot on the object ball can also be adjusted as some balls reflect the beam more than others. The laser creates a small spot on the object ball which can be seen in one of the photos.

I think it is better than other trainers like the “Spider” because it gives you an unobstructed view of the object ball like you would see during a normal shot.

Attachments

• P-1__.JPG
    P-1__.JPG
    189.3 KB · Views: 165
  • P-2__.JPG
    P-2__.JPG
    170.1 KB · Views: 163
  • P-3__.JPG
    P-3__.JPG
    162.5 KB · Views: 166

ldmitchell

Registered
laser

Here is a laser made for power tools such as table saws. It projects a line rather than a dot. This was purchased at Harbor Freight.

Attachments

• 52926843_2788673724491000_2078075301459394560_n.jpg
    52926843_2788673724491000_2078075301459394560_n.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 180
  • 53055731_2788674361157603_220696787130777600_n.jpg
    53055731_2788674361157603_220696787130777600_n.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 161