Congratulations Johnny Archer

thebighurt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congratulations Johnny. You guys both played great. Johnny got the best of it this time, next time could be different. Great 3 day match
It will be tough for Johnny/Busty to be better than this.

Last edited:

backplaying

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great win for Johnny at his age. Shane will come back, this meant alot more to Johnny. Johnny was also very humble in saying Shane was still by far the best player between them.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Seems I posted in the wrong thread. Here's what I wrote:

Tonight it was vintage Archer. Two shots in particular stood out for me. With a 16-13 lead, Archer had a close call between offense and defense and chose to play a very difficult shot on the one in the side while bridging off the back rail. He hit it superbly and ran out the rack. At 18-13 ahead, after a safety battle in which both players had played well, Archer jumped in the two ball along the long rail and ran out. To me, these were two moments where Shane might have changed the momentum in the match, but didn't get the chance to because of Archer's brilliance.

Shane didn't really make that many errors in offensive execution, but his safety play was very shaky while Archer's was outstanding.

A fine display of ten ball by two proven champions. Congratulations to Johnny!

jaycast16

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
how was JA breaking during the match?i just thought SVB is getting a hard time beating those guys who breaks as good as him.unlike before,he was dominating all his matches because of his superb break...

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
It thought this was great - and Johnny said just the right thing about Shane after winnning this. He said Shane was still the best in his book, but he practiced hard for this match, got his break working, and came out ahead.

I have a lot of respect for Archer. As much as I like Shane, I wanted to see Archer take one of these TAR matches. Johnny seemed to surprise himself too and he was very proud to prevail.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
how was JA breaking during the match?i just thought SVB is getting a hard time beating those guys who breaks as good as him.unlike before,he was dominating all his matches because of his superb break...

He was breaking great. He racked the same pattern I believe and was breaking hard but with excellent control. He broke from about 5 inches left of center.

Johnny said he worked hard on his break for this match. He hadn't practiced breaking in 15 years and knew he had to add some power. He said he added 2 mph. The balls were really exploding.

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congratulations Johnny. You guys both played great. Johnny got the best of it this time, next time could be different. Great 3 day match
It will be tough for Johnny/Busty to be better than this.

Good Post,
I knew my friend Johnny would pull it out. He is a great pool player. I have watched him practice a lot at his pool hall, Marietta, Billiards Club. Johnny is a good guy as well as a good pool player. Congrats to you Johnny.
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wasn't there, but if the money was the same as the Dechaine/Hatch TAR match, the winner got $4K and the loser got $1K. Expenses were paid for both players.

I didn't get to watch the matches, as I have been teaching pool school all the time. Seems like good play by both players, and I'd have to bet their behavior was completely professional as well. Congrats to Archer on the win. Congrats to Shane on a hard fought match.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

How much did Archer win?

What was the prize?

jaycast16

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He was breaking great. He racked the same pattern I believe and was breaking hard but with excellent control. He broke from about 5 inches left of center.

Johnny said he worked hard on his break for this match. He hadn't practiced breaking in 15 years and knew he had to add some power. He said he added 2 mph. The balls were really exploding.

i am really impressed how determined JA was to win the event.i hope i am not working this weekend so i can purchase the TAR 27.It will be a great match between the too.a legend vs another

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Johnny played almost perfect pool the 3rd night. He stayed focused the whole match. I love to see the older champs win over the younger champs. Johnny is a class act on and off the table. He even said Shane was still the best. Then I could have sworn I heard him say "Bless your heart", but maybe not. Congats to Johnny for his win tonight and I believe he picked up a lot more fans in the last week. Good luck against Busty this weekend. Johnnyt

Last edited:

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
This was very enjoyable to witness. Lots of mini packages. Day 1 was great drama. JA had him 19-13 and SVB mounted a come back. Day two was all SVB but JA had some spirts. Day three JA had him 9-2 and he came back to 12-13. Then he had him 21-15 and he mounted another come back but it was too far out of reach. JA had the momentum today and it was too much for Shane to overcome.

I also enjoyed watching the Mars Crew polish off 1 - 1/2 Gallons of Crown. That was some high level drinking.

Plus I got to hear JA take a piss and sing all the motown classics.

backplaying

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would also add, if you have never played on a table with pockets this tight you don't realize just how good these two played. I've seen tables like this make very good players look bad. They also made the 10 ball break look like it was easy.

JimmyWhite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After watching this match, I am now 100% certain that these 2 guys are the best players in the states. Johnny is still a true champion. Always been a fan and now he will make me pay an additional 30$ to watch him again... oh god :p

Pangit

Banned
SVB looses his normally rock solid "Cool" early in the match. The Scorpion takes care of business. It's a thin line between the best players in the world.

Archer should be on the Mosconi Cup team, along with SVB, Earl, Dennis, and Corey, if you want to win. Don't care about qualifing points.