Do you use a strict diamond system?

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have to admit that I am a feel player when I am playing my best. This goes for banks and kicks also. I just feel or "know" where to hit the cue ball on the rail to achieve my desired end. Anyone else play like this or do you use a strict diamond system?

nginear

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll use the diamonds to give me an idea, then it's all feel. Keep in mind though, I'm an F level player at best.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When playing aiming systems freaks/fanatics they like to ask me what aiming system I use.
Me: SAP
Them: Wow you mean system designed by that tech giant SAP?
Me: Shoot And Pray
Them: Oh ok I will shoot and play my shot first
<After they make their shot>
Them: Back to what we were discussion. Please explain this SAP system. Sounds interesting. Wait , let me take down some notes

Muahahaha :D

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have to admit that I am a feel player when I am playing my best. This goes for banks and kicks also. I just feel or "know" where to hit the cue ball on the rail to achieve my desired end. Anyone else play like this or do you use a strict diamond system?

I have shot pool for so many years that I have a sub-conscious "feel" for what I need to do and I use the diamonds as a reinforcement in my mind to see if I am seeing the shot "correctly". From there, you adjust to how the table is playing or whatever layout you have.

wutang

THE DEADLY GAMESMAN
Silver Member
I use the 'THE FORCE'.....I am a Padawan (Jedi in training)...lol.

I know a few systems, but use them less than half the time.

As we know, the 2 key ingredients to kicking and banking is ENGLISH and/or SPEED.

I 'feel' what I have to apply to the kick/bank.

Ive had more success than failure this way.

Wutang

gatorchad

Registered
I used to be all feel. I could do well, but there were times when I just couldn't lock in on the "feel" for some shots. Since putting in the effort to learn to use the diamonds I am much more consistent. Many times I will start with basic path/knowledge the diamond gives me then adjust for my "feel".

wutang

THE DEADLY GAMESMAN
Silver Member
I used to be all feel. I could do well, but there were times when I just couldn't lock in on the "feel" for some shots. Since putting in the effort to learn to use the diamonds I am much more consistent. Many times I will start with basic path/knowledge the diamond gives me then adjust for my "feel".

True indeed!

Ill use the diamond system as a recourse.

Not something to totally depend on.

Wutang

Last edited:

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So far nobody uses a strict diamond system. Feel comes into play for everyone. Any 3 cushion players out there?

Aaron_S

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess I must be using a strict one. Seems like it's always punishing me. :frown: :smile:

Aaron

jeffj2h

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To learn kicking, learn in this order: 3 rail, 2 rail, 1 rail.

The 3-rail "Corner 5" system is very easy to learn and is very accurate. It's used to kick off the long rail, to the end rail, and back to the other long rail. It can be used to kick that pattern either 2 rails or 3 rails. Bob Jewett's articles in his Billiards Digest archive is a great resource.

The "Magic Spot" system is interesting and works but I probably have never used it in competition.

The 2-rail "plus system" is very easy to learn but a little more sensitive to english. It is for kicking off the end rail, to a long rail, and back to the other side of the table.

1-rail kicking is the hardest. Tor Lowry's DVD is the best description I've seen but be prepared to take notes and practice for a week to be able to quickly recall the formulas.

jeffj2h

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ignore the "spot on the wall" 3-rail system. In my opinion it's a parlor trick. To use this system you would have to identify 4 separate spots on the wall, one for shooting towards each corner pocket. I guess you could do it on your home table, but what are you going to do at a pool hall, arrive a week early and figure out 4 spots for each of 20 tables?!?

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member

For figuring coming out points on the 3rd diamond I will use the corner 5. Sometimes knowing the first and 3rd rail points will help you kick safe off of the 2nd rail and then you can blend in your English as needed.

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
When playing aiming systems freaks/fanatics they like to ask me what aiming system I use.
Me: SAP
Them: Wow you mean system designed by that tech giant SAP?
Me: Shoot And Pray
Them: Oh ok I will shoot and play my shot first
<After they make their shot>
Them: Back to what we were discussion. Please explain this SAP system. Sounds interesting. Wait , let me take down some notes

Muahahaha :D
SAP sounds great! What about PIITH?:thumbup: I'll link it in a few
Works every time!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q4jEPmHFa8

Last edited:

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Ignore the "spot on the wall" 3-rail system. In my opinion it's a parlor trick. To use this system you would have to identify 4 separate spots on the wall, one for shooting towards each corner pocket. I guess you could do it on your home table, but what are you going to do at a pool hall, arrive a week early and figure out 4 spots for each of 20 tables?!?

I used to play in an 8 ball bank league. 3 rail kicks came up a lot. Generally you only need to find the diamond that works for 1 corner and use that info for all 4 corners. I used it very, very successfully. If I know the diamond to aim for 1 corner of the particular table I can use that info for all 4 corners. Once I know the diamond to aim at I move that spot up to the wall, chair, bar, video game, persons leg, & etc, whatever is inline of your diamond. That is my aim point for that corner anywhere on the table, obviously you need to adjust for side pockets, target location, obstructions, etc.

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use a diamond system for kicks and sometimes banks. Even when using the diamond systems, I use English, which is somewhat unpredictable. No system is perfect.

I aim completely by feel, whether I'm actually using a system or not, I don't know. I just get down and shoot the ball.

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess I must be using a strict one. Seems like it's always punishing me. :frown: :smile:

Aaron

LOL I know the feeling.

Subtract 23 from 52 shoot the shot and realize your for got the adjustment not to mention it should have been 33.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Philly, you play it the best way.
Through the years I have seen most of the systems used, and even tried a couple out of curiosity.
I still use, however, the same technique I've always relied on and that is allowing the mind's eye to determine the correct shot. With enough practice, play, and persistence, it will hold you in good stead. :)

Sunchaser

Belgian Malinois
Silver Member
I agree that Robert Byrne's corner 5 is the easiest with the least math and most accurate. I do mostly play by feel and shot recognition, but will double check 3 rail kicks often with the corner 5 system. .. Matt D.

SmoothStroke

Swim for the win.
Silver Member
I play 3 cushion, let me rephrase, I love 3 cushion. I also play a lot of straight pool and 10 ball, all games.

Any game I play I use track lines 100% of the time, all it takes is a glance.
I will use math as a check valve. Playing 3 cushion I will use it more for a bank or a zep shot. I am not sure how many systems I know, I would say 20 or more, I will use them.

I play by feel; I look long or short and adjust accordingly. If I have to alter the track I do so, or I select a different track. I find it so much easier when cutting across the angle to use a track.

If I am kicking I use a track to open the angle to use as much rail as I can, it doesn't matter how many rails, it's much easier to make the hit for me, I see it much more clearly, I design the road . I don't want to just hit the ball, I want to hit it short, long, or full. It's like radar when used properly. For me the concept of using tracks is so simple.

Visuals are natural and great helpers, it just takes a glance. I think it's great if you combine both feel and knowledge, just keep it simple.
Stay heavy on the feel.

Sincerely: SS