WTB Road Worn, Battered, Nicked, Sneaky Pete

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
WTB Road Worn, Battered, Nicked Sneaky Pete

I could buy a new SP and "distress" it but I thought someone may have one in a closet or corner.

The more it looks like a beat-up, one piece house cue the better but......

I want it to be a good player.
Please, no nicks on the stroke zone of the shaft.

A True Sneaky Pete.
Real splice, not painted.
Weight Bolt
Bumper
No butt cap.
No rings.
No fancy points.
No name showing. Could be placed on the joint faces.

Players, J&J, McD S1, Fury, ?

Thank You

Classic "house cue" type sneaky characteristics.

1. No joint collars of any kind. Must be wood to wood. No wood tone or wood color phenolic rings either.

2. The wood to wood should be machined/turned well, to be as seamless as possible.

3. Shaft wood matching the butt as close as possible is another big plus.

4. No butt caps. House cues do not have butt caps. They are wood all the way to the bumper. A sneaky is trying to mimic a house cue. This is always forgotten.

5. No exotic woods. It can be plain as a house cue, but bocote or cocobolo will ruin the effect.

6. True house cues style points. That means no veneers, no extra-long points, only 4 points - not 5 or 6. Using the house cue type splice.

7. No inlays of any kind anywhere.

8. No long ferrules, or unusually short ferrules (like OB classic or i2). House cues don't have Meucci length ferrules.

9. No wraps of any kind.

10. No fancy or unusual bumpers. There's some leeway here, could use a Schon style bumper and be fine. Maybe a Meucci style one too which is used on some Player's cues. However, the big and large ones house cues typically have is best to maximize the effect.

11. Extreme length pro-tapers, or very low diameter shafts with very long tapers is visibly different and obvious is not recommended. Can still go with a long pro taper, just avoid the pencil shaft profiles.

12. Avoid super high luster finishes (like that of high end custom cues). They are not a good thing, in fact ...too clean of a cue is a give away also. If you are like myself, and keep a cue immaculate and clean, it will always look different and odd. Some dings and dents in the butt, a more matte finish, and some blue on the shaft is a good thing. High quality finishes really stand out, which is why cuemakers put a lot of effort into them. That's not what you want.

13. A nice touch, is the addition of a stamping on the butt's forearm indicating the cue's weight just like house cues have.

However, the days of house cue sneaky petes being sneaky are pretty much over. The house cue sneaky isn't totally obsolete yet. Still does fool some people.

Last edited:

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
Wow! Low cost and only 13 demands! Should be easy

Not if it's a beater sitting in a closet somewhere or a blemish reject.

Just want to be sure it is a True Sneaky Pete and not some Pretty Boy SP.

Not demands, requests!

Attachments

• IMG_0774.JPG
    IMG_0774.JPG
    24 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:

shakin355

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sneaky pete

Hi don't know if u ever heard of them see if u can find a Stratford hustler cue first cue I ever owned bought it for 20.00 at the pawn shop I should have kept it they hit solid feels nice and looks just like a house cue u find em on ebay every now and then do the research on them that or a duffrin house cue

Mick56

Go Pack!!!!!
Silver Member
I have an early Jacoby sneaky. This one has the emblem of a man chalking a cue, which Jacoby used in his early years before putting his name on the cue. Asking $500.

Attachments

• jac1.jpg
    jac1.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 69
  • jac2.jpg
    jac2.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 73
  • jac3.jpg
    jac3.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 74
  • jac4.jpg
    jac4.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 76

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow! Low cost and only 13 demands! Should be easy

No need to be a dick.

Had a Scruggs like OP described. It was a great cue, but next owner refinished it. Was a shame. Hope OP finds what he is looking for. I have some Katz blanks that are nice with sharp return point, lots of patina. Would have to find a cuemaker to add joint, but might be worth it.