APA 8 ball rules question

jburkm002

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry couldn't find the rule on this. Player calls the 8 ball and misses. While the 8 ball is going around the table it hits the shooting players cue. What happens next?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry couldn't find the rule on this. Player calls the 8 ball and misses. While the 8 ball is going around the table it hits the shooting players cue. What happens next?
How could that not be BIH? Never played APA but that's a foul everywhere i've ever played.

jburkm002

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No one knew the rule so we settled on BIH. I suggested it might be loss of game. Same if you foul on a rolling cue ball while shooting the 8 ball. Luckily my wife had a duck with BIH and the 8 ball by the side pocket.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Given that normally you'd let an object ball stop on it's own, even the 8 ball, I believe that the rule says that
ANY object ball that is in motion and makes contact with a bridge, cue
stick, ... etc will not be replaced. This indicates that it is not a foul and the 8 will be left
where it was stopped and play will continue, HOWEVER......
There is another rule that says the shooter may not alter the course of the 8 ball in an attempt to prevent a loss of game.
Something that The APA has been trying to hammer in for the last couple of summers is
common sense must prevail, so one must exercise some good and fair personal
judgement. If your opponent is reaching around the table with his cue trying to hit the 8 so
it doesn't get near a pocket, as a referee I'd say that's loss of game, if the ball is rolling
to a stop and not going to fall into a pocket, and c'mon.... we all know....
it wouldn't be a foul. I think the key phrase is "in an attempt to prevent a loss..."
This is where one must exercise good and fair judgement. I would though consider it a loss of game if the 8 ball was
about to roll into an unmarked / uncalled pocket and the 8
was accidentally hit with the cue stick and that kept it on the table.+

Try to remember this is the APA we're talking about, and not the BCA or a WPA event

It makes perfect sense that it would be a foul, but in the APA unless the accidental contact keeps the ball out of the pocket, I'd say it's probably not

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Given that normally you'd let an object ball stop on it's own, even the 8 ball, I believe that the rule says that
stick, ... etc will not be replaced. This indicates that it is not a foul and the 8 will be left
There is another rule that says the shooter may not alter the course of the 8 ball in an attempt to prevent a loss of game.
Something that The APA has been trying to hammer in for the last couple of summers is
judgement. If your opponent is reaching around the table with his cue trying to hit the 8 so
it doesn't get near a pocket, as a referee I'd say that's loss of game, if the ball is rolling
it wouldn't be a foul. I think the key phrase is "in an attempt to prevent a loss..."
This is where one must exercise good and fair judgement. I would though consider it a loss of game if the 8 ball was

Try to remember this is the APA we're talking about, and not the BCA or a WPA event

It makes perfect sense that it would be a foul, but in the APA unless the accidental contact keeps the ball out of the pocket, I'd say it's probably not
"Try to remember this is the APA we're talking about, and not the BCA or a WPA event".............. Curious as to why this matters?

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
"Try to remember this is the APA we're talking about, and not the BCA or a WPA event".............. Curious as to why this matters?

Because the rules are most likely at least a little different.
The APA is set up mainly for beginning to intermediate players.
Accidents like accidentally disturbing uninvolved balls on the table
with your cue are generally not penalized, you just put the balls back and play on

Toxictom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Toxictom...Not true. It would be a foul in 9ball too.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

I might have missed something but I was basing my comment on the following:

9. ACCIDENTALLY MOVED BALLS
Accidentally moved balls must be replaced, unless any of the
accidentally moved balls make contact with the cue ball, thereby
creating a ball-in-hand foul, in which case nothing gets replaced.
• If the accidental movement occurs between shots the ball
must be replaced by the opponent before the shot is taken.
• Any balls moved accidentally during a shot must be
replaced by the opponent after the shot is over and all
balls have stopped rolling.
NOTE: An object ball that is in motion and makes accidental
contact with a bridge, cue stick, etc., is not replaced.
If, during the course of the shot, another ball stops in the
position previously occupied by the accidentally moved ball,
the opponent must place the accidentally moved ball, in a fair
manner, as close as possible to its original position.

Why would accidently knocking the 8 ball with your cue while playing 9-ball be a foul? It sounds like the player hit the 8 ball first since the OP stated it was "going around the table". Now if the player missed hitting the 8 entirely I agree it would be a foul.

Last edited:

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

This is precisely correct. Good answer.

KMRUNOUT

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Toxictom...Not true. It would be a foul in 9ball too.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Also not true. There are no object ball fouls in the APA. Even a ball knocked off the table is not a foul!

Celophanewrap described the correct outcome perfectly. An object ball in motion that contacts something like a bridge or cue stick stays where it ends up, and the opponent shoots from where the cue ball stops. If the 8 ball is interfered with when it is moving towards an unmarked pocket, it is a loss of game. It can be a debate whether or not the ball was heading for a pocket. Kind of an ambiguous rule, but that is what it is.

KMRUNOUT

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Also not true. There are no object ball fouls in the APA. Even a ball knocked off the table is not a foul!

Celophanewrap described the correct outcome perfectly. An object ball in motion that contacts something like a bridge or cue stick stays where it ends up, and the opponent shoots from where the cue ball stops. If the 8 ball is interfered with when it is moving towards an unmarked pocket, it is a loss of game. It can be a debate whether or not the ball was heading for a pocket. Kind of an ambiguous rule, but that is what it is.

KMRUNOUT

And all the time I get more reasons to avoid APA leagues LOL Totally taking away the integrity of the rules of pool. 9 ball played like straight pool, no issues with hitting balls at random, no need to call anything but you better make sure that everyone in the building and your grandmother knows where the 8 is going and mark with with a giant arrow or else. I still can't figure out why they need to mess with rules that a 10 year old can understand.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
And all the time I get more reasons to avoid APA leagues LOL Totally taking away the integrity of the rules of pool. 9 ball played like straight pool, no issues with hitting balls at random, no need to call anything but you better make sure that everyone in the building and your grandmother knows where the 8 is going and mark with with a giant arrow or else. I still can't figure out why they need to mess with rules that a 10 year old can understand.

Perhaps because a 10 year old can understand them and a pool player needs you to be
more specific.
It's a gamblers mentality: Get that cash any way you can.

and most of the time we just call the 8 ball pocket, I don't own a big arrow. I will mark my pocket with a marker if my opponent asks for it.
Generally my phone, or a wallet, a coin, a coaster, or whatever is handy.
One time my opponent pissed me off, so I marked it with his girlfriend. She was good with that, he was slightly beside himself

Last edited:

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

A 10 year old can understand the rules of the APA, especially if they read the rulebook. For many pool players, bar rules are the "real rules", and APA (which is a huge advance over bar rules) seems foreign. Its all about what you are familiar with. There are no "real" rules. There are only rules. Play in events with rules you like.

KMRUNOUT