Chess and Pool

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone else here think that playing chess has helped their strategic thinking in pool, specifically 8 ball?

I think I’ve seen Corey play chess...

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
reading a table

Anyone else here think that playing chess has helped their strategic thinking in pool, specifically 8 ball?

I think I’ve seen Corey play chess...

I definitely think starting playing a lot of chess about three years before starting playing a lot of pool helped me read tables at a glance. With a little practice I could read the entire run for both sets of balls as I walked up to the table, maybe taking a little extra time getting a piece of chalk for a few seconds extra consideration. Contributed a bit to the intimidation factor that I seemed to just walk up to the table and start banging away.

For what it is worth, a fellow named Efren is a lifelong chess player too.

Hu

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it definitely helps - and we’ve even taken it to a new level and play the two simultaneously.

a1d490af37dd8d6444ecbb2aefd80e6c.jpg

~ K.

TRWpool

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Of course analytical games such as chess can help improve your pool game. Especially games like eight ball, Straight pool, and One Pocket. These are all games where ball patterns develop and those patterns create response patterns. Chess is the ultimate strategic game of patterns.

Seeing these patterns and the most effective response pattern is a skill which needs nurturing. The game of chess stimulates the mind to interpret situations as a whole, much like viewing a forest from above instead of from within.

Here is an excerpt from my book "One Pocket: A Game of Controlled Aggression"

" As a young man I always had a profound interest in strategic games. I had learned how to play chess at the age of six, and it wasn’t long before I was consistently beating my brother who is fifteen years my elder. Even then, what had drawn me to chess was its analytical side, the cat and the mouse game hidden within the game itself. I recognized that One Pocket had the same appeal but with a few added prerequisites: talent, ability, and courage under fire to name a few. I endeavored to become as good a player as my talent would allow. I often wonder if I would have gravitated to pool in such a magnetic way had I not first encountered One Pocket."

Pool games are nothing but a series of patterns and once we learn to recognize these patterns we can then formulate, with minor adjustments effective response patterns. The beauty of approaching pool games in this way is in the confidence it brings to our minds that we are attacking the various situation properly.

Tom

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Efren plays it a lot. And pretty well from what i hear. 1p is chess with pool balls.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Efren plays it a lot. And pretty well from what i hear. 1p is chess with pool balls.

Alex plays a little better.

I played a lot of chess till backgammon got my attention....
...satisfies the same urge...but more action.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I love chess, but I don't think it does much for your pool game. Practicing chess to improve pool is about as ineffective as practicing pool to improve chess.

Yes, they are both games, and they have some things in common the same way many games do. And maybe you can practice your concentration playing chess. But there are far more champions that don't play serious chess than those that do. And guys like Efren and Corey that do play chess, well, it's more likely they play chess because they love strategy games in general. Their love for games spills over into chess, poker, and other games. Not because it directly helps their pool game.

I DO however think it might indicate a player's style. Efren, Corey, Alex, they are all tactical players. They are more likely to play chess than sledgehammer players like Earl, Shaw, or Filler, who might prefer games where execution means more than strategy.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love chess, but I don't think it does much for your pool game. Practicing chess to improve pool is about as ineffective as practicing pool to improve chess.

Yes, they are both games, and they have some things in common the same way many games do. And maybe you can practice your concentration playing chess. But there are far more champions that don't play serious chess than those that do. And guys like Efren and Corey that do play chess, well, it's more likely they play chess because they love strategy games in general. Their love for games spills over into chess, poker, and other games. Not because it directly helps their pool game.

I DO however think it might indicate a player's style. Efren, Corey, Alex, they are all tactical players. They are more likely to play chess than sledgehammer players like Earl, Shaw, or Filler, who might prefer games where execution means more than strategy.

Tap tap tap!

TRWpool

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

I respectfully disagree. Sure, if all you do is play games like nine ball then you have a point. Otherwise you don't. Many pool games are very tactical and games like chess and backgammon can definitely help a pool player become a tactician.

Take a look and the players you mentioned. Efren, Corey, and Alex, each are tactical players who excel at One Pocket, the ultimate strategic game.

Tom

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I think riflery is better training for pool than chess. Position the body, find your aim, keep your head and body still as you shoot, and fire when ready.

TRWpool

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think riflery is better training for pool than chess. Position the body, find your aim, keep your head and body still as you shoot, and fire when ready.

Definitely a good skill to learn. Very helpful for your pool game but why limit yourself?
Do both!
Tom

brilliance

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hi

Chess helps you more to understand your personality and life strategy, does not apply to pool a lot.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Memorizing all the variations and traps of a Queen’s Gambit Declined won’t really make you a better One Pocket player other than some generalizations like realizing the value of INTENSE preparation, strategy, and calculating a line of moves in advance. I don’t see it as any more insightful to pool as learning a musical instrument.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
chicken or egg

I respectfully disagree. Sure, if all you do is play games like nine ball then you have a point. Otherwise you don't. Many pool games are very tactical and games like chess and backgammon can definitely help a pool player become a tactician.

Take a look and the players you mentioned. Efren, Corey, and Alex, each are tactical players who excel at One Pocket, the ultimate strategic game.

Tom

I see your point Tom. We might just have different ideas on the cause and effect. You think they became great tacticians because of chess or backgammon. I say they are great tacticians, so they also happen to enjoy chess and backgammon because they enjoy that type of game. That is why they like one pocket so much, it fits their style. If they never played chess they would still enjoy bringing their tactical skills to one pocket.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
The big difference

The big difference between developing strategic thinking playing pool or chess is that chess can be played almost any time and almost anywhere. It is a bit tougher to tote a pool table around than a chessboard or internet accessible device.

In chess like one pocket we have to not only be working on our own attacks but be watching closely to see what the other player is attempting. It is worth remembering that both pool and chess originated as war games to help young men learn strategy for the battlefield.

I wouldn't play chess to help my pool game if I didn't enjoy chess but I think it unquestionably helps develop battlefield awareness, doesn't matter if the battlefield is a checkered board or a field of green.

Hu